Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 11:19 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times

Advertisements

Miami isn't diverse at all. Almost 80% of residents are Latino/Hispanic.

Miami is a different country. Coral Gables is an upscale neighborhood in Miami.

Honestly, I'd take a good hard look at Broward County. In particular Rio Vista and Victoria Park. I think it would be easier to transition from New York.

I agree with everyone else, rent first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2021, 12:10 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

Honestly, I'd take a good hard look at Broward County. In particular Rio Vista and Victoria Park. I think it would be easier to transition from New York.

+ Coral Ridge

Old 12-21-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
+ Coral Ridge
Yes! I always forget about Coral Ridge!! Excellent neighborhood and country club.

Old 01-02-2022, 02:28 PM

880 posts, read 564,832 times
Quote:

Miami is the most diverse city in the entire United States of America. It has more different communities of cultures and nationalities represented than any other city in the US, and for the most part, the world.

It does have a heavy South American and Caribbean influence, but it also has independently large Russian, Thai, and Western European influence. There's tons of Dutch, German, etc... all living there.

Old 01-03-2022, 07:00 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I would also suggest Lighthouse Point as well as the Hollywood Lakes area in East Hollywood.

Old 01-05-2022, 12:06 PM

880 posts, read 564,832 times
This popped up because I'm apparently subscribed to it, so I will add since a lot of people mention Coconut Grove and Coral Gables. They are both fantastic neighborhoods... they are absolutely the place you want to live.

Be aware, the homes are very expensive. The smaller homes are going for $750k+ and the nicer / newer homes are going for over $2.5 million. There are vintage 1940s homes selling for $800k with the only intent being to tear them down.

Many people do not know, but one of the hallmarks of CG/CC neighborhoods is that the homes were built by several notable builders. The homes all have "attic vents" which are concrete and molded after the builder's design. Some have palm trees, others have a tall ship. You can tell who built which home based on the attic vent... like in Texas for example, Sitterle puts a metal plate saying "SITTERLE BUILT" on the front stoop.

The homes, even though small, are all well appointed, and have fire places too (even though it's Miami). One home I was in last week had an all original fireplace with the surround made entirely of filled and polished coral. It had flamingos carved into it, and an art-deco design. That was a 2-bedroom / 1 bathroom home in the Grove that's appraised at over a million dollars, and the garage had been enclosed and some of the original features changed.

Really depends on what you want... if you (the OP) haven't moved down here yet, decide how much you want to spend, and what you're looking for.

Broward is definitely more affordable, to the tune of about $200k less than a similar Miami-Dade neighborhood.

I'm just glad I got in when I did. I live in Tampa now, but I will never sell my home in South Florida. It's on a cul-de-sac, in an A+ rated school district, commands $3,500 a month rent, and I can walk to 100s of restaurants, stores, and services. It's on a 1/2 acre lot with 7 fruit trees, with 2,300 square feet and a two-car garage. I'll retire in that home.

Old 01-05-2022, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post
Miami is the most diverse city in the entire United States of America. It has more different communities of cultures and nationalities represented than any other city in the US, and for the most part, the world.

It does have a heavy South American and Caribbean influence, but it also has independently large Russian, Thai, and Western European influence. There's tons of Dutch, German, etc... all living there.
Miami is one of the LEAST diverse cities in the US. It is over 80% Latino/Hispanic.

The Asian population is tiny.

To quote one of my favorite Miami writers, Matthew Meltzer, Miami is as diverse as Salt Lake City. It has many people from different countries but zero diversity. It has a small pocket of Russians in Miami Beach not Miami.

Old 01-05-2022, 03:53 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
While I agree Miami is predominantly Latin/Hispanic, I’ve met and made friends with a bunch of fellow ex NY’ers/Northeasterners and Californians, Turks, French, Polish, Canadian, Italian, German, Greek, Israelis, Moroccans, and others in Brickell and Miami Beach. While Sunny Isles is referred to as Little Moscow, I’ve also run into Russians and Ukrainians in Brickell. The gym and my cigar lounge have been excellent social contact spot.

While the Asian population is small, I’ve noticed a slight increase post Covid whereas there is no shortage of solid, good Asian cuisine options in the metro—punches above its weight, culinary wise, in spite of a small population (Hutong, Uchi, NAOE, Itamae, Phuc Yea, Cote, KYU, Hiden, Azabu, Osaka, Pao by Paul Qui, etc etc among others).

I’m a white boy, but Latin/Hispanic is not at all homogeneous and a tad more diverse than SLC…..Cubans are nothing like Brazilians who are nothing like Spaniards or Mexicans who are different from Colombians, Puerto Ricans, Peruvians, etc etc etc.

On the mainland I have found Coconut Grove to be a little more “American” than Brickell or Gables as well as skewing a little older.

Quote:
Miami is one of the LEAST diverse cities in the US. It is over 80% Latino/Hispanic.

The Asian population is tiny.

To quote one of my favorite Miami writers, Matthew Meltzer, Miami is as diverse as Salt Lake City. It has many people from different countries but zero diversity. It has a small pocket of Russians in Miami Beach not Miami.

Last edited by elchevere; 01-05-2022 at 04:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami