Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 07:03 PM
ny4 ny4 started this thread

67 posts, read 235,012 times

Advertisements

For anyone who lives in South Florida......please give your opinion on the best careers to look into in the area...what field are wide open? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 07:32 PM

87 posts, read 306,368 times
The top growth jobs right now in South Florida (and maybe Florida as a whole) are in health care and government. (The Miami Herald had an article today stating this very thing.)

I'm guessing with the talk of courting tech firms (and General Dynamics and RIM have recently declared they are opening sites in Broward, as well as a Chinese tech firm) that software engineering and computer science is a good choice, as well. (Hubby is set to accept a job with one of those three soon, with a 10K signing bonus!)

Hospitality will continue to be a major employer (hotels, resorts, touristy-stuff), which means that chefs and hotel workers (from the low to the high) will be needed. Import and export are big down here, too.

But, for now, health care is continuing to show expansion. Study nursing, medicine, geriatric areas, plastic surgery, ultrasonography, radiography, hospital administration, etc.

I'm thinking international banking wouldn't be bad, either. And, given the mortgage crisis, it would be advisable to stay away from construction, realty, and related, but it would be quite profitable to be a lawyer or other professional dealing with foreclosures and bankruptcy and immigration. Immigration will always be big here, by the very nature of the demographics. (Realtors will bounce back once people aren't afraid to buy anymore and folks save soem up for down payments. People will always buy/sell homes.) Building contractors will bounce back if we get one more damaging hurricane, because we'll all need repairs to buildings (I sure did after "Wilma.") as will roofing contractors. The storms here make sure they stay busy.

Teachers may have a hard time now, given the huge budget cuts the system is dealing with now. I believe there is a hiring slow-down/freeze in public schools.

Health/Beauty/Fitness related fields will always be big here, too, due to the modeling/trophy wives/vain contingent in Florida. The face and body beautiful is an obsession for a solid percentage. That'll keep folks able to cater to that making moolah--aestheticians, cosmetic surgeons, personal trainers, stylists, etc.

Just get a copy of a paper from each of the counties and see what's being sought.

M.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:51 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,031,450 times
Healthcare.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:57 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,011,996 times
Healthcare definitely. You can go get your bachelors in nursing...and then start working at any hosptial, clinic, doctors office, home health care RIGHT AWAY....it's a matter of applying and most places give you a sign on bonus of around 3-5K. You can start making 50-60K right off the bat. Keep going to school go and get your masters degree and become a nurse practictioner and you will be pulling in 80-100k a year. You will ALWAYS have job security. But you'll always be the doctor's little *****. lol

Old 05-26-2008, 06:21 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,783,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny4 View Post
For anyone who lives in South Florida......please give your opinion on the best careers to look into in the area...what field are wide open? Thanks!!
Good career choices include:

-Armed robbery
-Professional burglary
-Mooching (males)
-Drug dealing
-Gold digging (females)
-Auto thievery
-Prostitution
-General shoplifting
-General street hustling
-Adult film production

Honestly though, the other posters could not have said it any better, but I want to add that there are also a lot of VARIOUS sales gigs, especially if you are bilingual. However if you want to get into insurance sales, it is very competitive. Otherwise, the job market here is really, really hospitality intensive. There are real jobs here, but competition is tight...

Let's put it like this, it really is a place you come to take a job, not seek a job. I would never move here without a secure career.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:27 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,366,114 times
I was talking to a woman in line at the post office a few weeks ago. And she said her daughter who is a nurse for one of the Baptist Hospitals, said there wasn't enough work in her department (new born babies) that they were sending her home or telling her not to come into work. So she said her daughter was looking for work in other parts of the healthcare industry. Just what this lady told me.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:01 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,686,108 times
what about law?

Old 05-28-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
what about law?
Every major city has a lot of law offices, and we're no different. I'd say immigration law and criminal gotta be hot. Environmental might be up there, too, given the continuing battles over land use/protection of wetlands.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I was talking to a woman in line at the post office a few weeks ago. And she said her daughter who is a nurse for one of the Baptist Hospitals, said there wasn't enough work in her department (new born babies) that they were sending her home or telling her not to come into work. So she said her daughter was looking for work in other parts of the healthcare industry. Just what this lady told me.

I don't know if there's something specific with the neonatal unit (ie, everyone wanting to work there so senior nurses getting dibs on the shifts), of if this lady's daughter is an LPN as opposed to an RN, but one continually hears about the shortages, sees ads in the paper with sign-on bonuses, etc.

Could be a glut of nurses wanting to work with babies (can't blame em!), rather than with cancer or geriatrics or psychiatric, etc.

I'm guessing for Miami area, if you work with geriatric or cancer or trauma or are an RN, you will not lack for work. Bariatric surgery is way up, so I'm guessing that's another area for nurses, too. And home health.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:48 PM

551 posts, read 3,111,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny4 View Post
Translator to those who don't speak Spanish?

Teaching English as a second language?

Personal attorney for City and County employees?

Any would be a goldmine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: