Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2021, 08:39 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times

Advertisements

My wife (never been to Miami) and I (haven't been since adolescence as a cruise ship launching point) are taking a 7 day vacation on short notice to Miami Dec 11-18 and we are looking for recommendations.

The primary purpose of the trip is rest and relaxation in warm weather, with nice dinners in the evening. Maybe throw in a couples massage at a spa at some point. Also considering attending the Bulls/Heat game on December 11th. We'd like a waterfront hotel with a nice pool, but not so interested in a DJ blaring music while we read by the pool. We are also open (or might even prefer) splitting the trip into multiple different hotels for a change of scenery as 7 days at one place might get a little stale. Neither of us drink and the club scene is of no interest to us. Also, I have never been to Miami as an adult and kinda want to at least check out some of the things that I've seen develop and evolve in Miami from afar over the last couple building booms (Mary Brickell Village, Brickell City Centre, Miami World Center, Shops at Bal Harbour, Aventura Mall, etc)

Main questions:
Hotel recommendations? Some of the places we are looking at are Loews Miami Beach (1601 Collins), Mondrian South Beach (1100 West Avenue), the Fontainebleau (4441 Collins). Looking for similar properties (nice but a step below Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, St. Regis, etc). Also not totally committed to South Beach or even mid Beach. Sunny Isles, Golden Beach also would be reasonable for right property, but I just focused my search a bit further south as it seems to be denser in terms of restaurant options and closer to downtown/Brickell if we venture out that way. Also am interested in spending a night or two in downtown Miami/Brickell area if there are things we should check out. But still would require a nice (probably rooftop?) pool.

Restaurant recommendations? Don't really have much to go on here. I'm familiar with Prime 112 from NBA players giving it rave reviews, and Joe's Stone Crab has always stuck out to me as a must-try place when in Miami. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything. Wife loves steak, and I love seafood, but we would like a mix of upper scale places and maybe some less expensive places like a good Mexican or Cuban spot, or a good Hibachi place.

Renting a car? Will be flying in to MIA and was just planning on using taxis/ubers to get around because we figured the areas we will be staying should have plenty to eat within a few miles (reasonable fares) and parking would be more of a hassle than it is worth.

Any museums or other indoor activities we should check out, or at least have as a backup in case of a rainy day?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2021, 02:30 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,317,925 times
Villa Vizcaya is one of Miami's best attractions. You can combine Vizcaya with dining down in Coconut Grove or up in Brickell.

https://vizcaya.org/

If you go to Aventura, avoid the late afternoon/early evening traffic!

Old 11-20-2021, 12:34 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Before I moved here I would split my time between Brickell and South Beach. Granted, I was working at the time (pre-meeting I would stay in Brickell; after my meeting I would switch to SoBe) but two different vibes only 15-20 minutes apart if you do not mind making the move from one hotel to the next.

On the beach I might consider 1 Hotel, Edition (quieter area resort further away from SoBe and would require an Uber or you could split entertainment and dining between there and the upscale Faena, a 5 minute walk). You might also consider Marriott Stanton in South of Fifth area…..in Brickell/downtown area I would consider Mandarin Oriental, Kimpton Epic, Four Seasons or East Hotel (only one not on the water)….one thing I did notice a week or two ago was that some hotels had shockingly high prices—perhaps in part to the US lifting its international travel ban to foreigners. Shop around and come back for advice.

If you split time and come to the mainland you also could hit Wynwood, Design District and/or Coconut Grove.

Once you make hotel reservations consider making dining reservations as well…..some of my favorite, and popular, restaurants at the moment are Uchi (great sushi, including their short rib wagyu ringo) and KYU in Wynwood; Hutong gourmet Chinese and/or River Oyster Bar in Brickell; MILA restaurant and lounge in SoBe or Pao by Paul Qui (Asian) or Los Fuegos (Argentine steak) at Faena; Leku (Basque cuisine) at the Rubell Museum) or Cote (Korean steakhouse) or Mandolin Aegean Bistro (Greek) in Design District. Again, advanced reservations imperative at most of these places and/or perhaps your hotel concierge has some pull.

You will be missing Art Basel but some places around Design District might have some exhibit remnants remaining. You might consider the Rubell Museum if you dine at Leku…have you been to the Van Gogh Immersive Experience?—I didn’t catch the one here but did in Chicago; not bad….or, consider Perez Art Museum (including Aquarium). Wynwood is great for street art and art galleries.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-20-2021 at 01:02 PM..

Old 12-06-2021, 11:06 AM

21,910 posts, read 9,483,127 times
If you like fine dining, go to Stubborn Seed. It's my new favorite restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami