Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2021, 11:32 AM

23 posts, read 29,824 times

Advertisements

Does Miami's 80/88.5 degree sun angle really matter against the Caribbean/Tropics 90 degree angle very curious to know if its a big difference like Rick Santos makes it out to be or is it to close to matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2021, 09:12 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
To me, access to coastal breezes and shade (v direct sunlight) are difference makers here….the hottest days during the summer are the 2x month 2-3 day periods from June - October with no clouds and no breezes. Also, for me, 85 degrees is my cutoff—anything at or below feels great; when you get above it can feel warmer/hotter to me (even just 2-3 degrees—not taking heat index into consideration).

Now, when I lived in SoCal I noticed the difference the sun’s angle made—a warm 80 degree day in October was noticeably more comfortable than a similar day in August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFLANATIVE View Post
Does Miami's 80/88.5 degree sun angle really matter against the Caribbean/Tropics 90 degree angle very curious to know if its a big difference like Rick Santos makes it out to be or is it to close to matter?

Last edited by elchevere; 12-25-2021 at 09:24 AM..

Old 12-26-2021, 08:38 AM

23 posts, read 29,824 times
Default Not exactly answering my question....

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
To me, access to coastal breezes and shade (v direct sunlight) are difference makers here….the hottest days during the summer are the 2x month 2-3 day periods from June - October with no clouds and no breezes. Also, for me, 85 degrees is my cutoff—anything at or below feels great; when you get above it can feel warmer/hotter to me (even just 2-3 degrees—not taking heat index into consideration).

Now, when I lived in SoCal I noticed the difference the sun’s angle made—a warm 80 degree day in October was noticeably more comfortable than a similar day in August.
which is does the angle in the sky matter as Rick Santos Constantly makes as his arguing point or is that slight difference too close to really matter ?

Old 12-26-2021, 04:52 PM

25,690 posts, read 12,772,161 times
You do not want the rear of your home to face west. The UV rays will harm your window treatments, flooring, furnishings near windows, over time unless you tint your windows with a strong uv blocker. Anything on your Lanai will have a shorter life too...like outdoor furniture.

Old 12-27-2021, 11:18 AM

25,690 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJTMueller View Post
well, ideally you're correct about rear facing west, but if you have a pool and you like to use it say in Dec to March, it's tolerable in the late afternoons
Pool experts say you want the rear facing South as #1 choice, and North #2. This way the pool water will get some Sun all day keeping it warmer to minimize heating costs in Winter.

Call a pool company to confirm. That is what they told me...Superior Polls in North Port, FL.

Old 01-29-2022, 07:42 PM

295 posts, read 245,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFLANATIVE View Post
I'm also curious about sun angles and solar energy output, but I couldn't find a lot of hard data.

My belief is that with a clear sky, an 88° sun angle should have similar solar intensity at sea level, no matter the location on Earth. Although, obviously the tropical locations will have a higher average sun angle compared to Miami, as you move closer to the equator. I think the average sun angle makes a huge difference.

What sets Miami apart from an equatorial city like Singapore, is Miami goes through a "winter" period with low sun angles and solar intensity comparable to a European country. This happens when the subsolar point moves all the way down to the Tropic of Capricorn, the December solstice.

Miami only has a solar noon angle of 41° during the December soltice. That's not a summer sun angle at all. That a weak temperate zone sun angle with low solar intensity.

Singapore never gets a sun angle that low. The lowest solar noon angle during the December soltice is 65° for Singapore.

If you look at a city like Paris, their maximum sun angle at the June soltice is ~65°. The strongest sun light of the year in Paris is comparable to the weakest sun light of the year in Singapore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: