Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 01:18 PM

1,260 posts, read 930,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyzer View Post
Why is it a PITA if Miami people prefer Spanish over English? How does this affect you?
Agreed. Honestly, it's what makes Miami so special. Heck if you want to live in a city that is dominantly English speaking you have Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach in the area.

My point of this thread is the US is such a large country with so many different cities. I think having places like Miami, New Orleans, and even Honolulu, which are places that have such a distinct culture and are truly unique within the US should be protected and admired. How sad it would be if New Orleans becomes dominated by New Yorkers and loses its flavor. How said it would be if Honolulu became dominated by white Californians and just started to feel more like SoCal. How said it would be if Miami just started to feel more like Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach in the people it has.

The US has more than enough cities where if you want to speak only English and live in a white dominant environment. MORE THAN ENOUGH.

What makes Montreal so cool, is that culturally its unique to the rest of Canada. Imagine if Montreal lost all it's French culture and just became English dominated. It would just be another Boston. Or think of Barcelona losing its Catalan identity to be more like Madrid.

Places like Miami and New Orleans have a very distinct culture as soon as you step foot in the city compared to the rest of the US. I feel like it should be maintained and respected, especially when there are so many cities in the US already that are "American."

Want to live in a city that is the professional world is dominated by white people and American, culture dominates. OMG you have more than you heart desires in that regard. Want a city where Latinos dominate in the professional world in that culture is dominant? Miami really is the only place like that in this country of 300+ million plus people. That should be celebrated. I only wish there was an Asian version and black version (perhaps Atlanta qualifies) of Miami elsewhere in the US. Having cities with such distinct cultures I think only helps, not hinders our country, because it exposes people to different cultures within the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2022, 12:02 AM

94 posts, read 101,543 times
Totally agree with the above post just by geographic location alone it totally makes sense that Miami would have the language and demographics that it does. America needs to lose the "white standard" attitude and instead white Americand should learn to also assimilate to other cultures that rightfully make up the fabric of America rather than demand everything bends around their culture. That being said we should all reach a little to losen some of the tensions, work with and include each other or at least have basic respect.

Old 07-15-2022, 12:08 AM

688 posts, read 616,685 times
There is nothing wrong with speaking Spanish or any other language. I have no problem with anyone preferring to speak Spanish over English.

I do, believe, however, that when an English speaker has difficulty in communicating in a city as large as Miami that something is wrong. I also believe that people who do not learn to communicate in English will be at a disadvantage in terms of functioning within the whole of the US. I am fine with Miami having a Latin vibe. I am fine with people speaking Spanish. I am totally against the rejection of English - and that is what I believe is happening in other parts of the US as well.

Old 07-15-2022, 08:20 AM

1,260 posts, read 930,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancuriosity View Post
There is nothing wrong with speaking Spanish or any other language. I have no problem with anyone preferring to speak Spanish over English.

I do, believe, however, that when an English speaker has difficulty in communicating in a city as large as Miami that something is wrong. I also believe that people who do not learn to communicate in English will be at a disadvantage in terms of functioning within the whole of the US. I am fine with Miami having a Latin vibe. I am fine with people speaking Spanish. I am totally against the rejection of English - and that is what I believe is happening in other parts of the US as well.
Something is wrong in one single county that has 3.5 million out of a country of 300+ million, in the very far corner of the country, in one of the most geographically isolated big cities in the continental US that is closer to Latin America overall than it is to most of the US, where Spanish dominates the business world and culture is wrong?

I don't think it's wrong if anything I think it's cool. It shows how multicultural the US is and how diverse US cities are.

To me you seem like you think a city like Montreal should convert to English and mostly do everything in English, because most of the country in Canada speaks English as does its economy. So would you also want Montreal to become a pre-dominantly English speaking city?

Old 07-15-2022, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
Something is wrong in one single county that has 3.5 million out of a country of 300+ million, in the very far corner of the country, in one of the most geographically isolated big cities in the continental US that is closer to Latin America overall than it is to most of the US, where Spanish dominates the business world and culture is wrong?

I don't think it's wrong if anything I think it's cool. It shows how multicultural the US is and how diverse US cities are.

To me you seem like you think a city like Montreal should convert to English and mostly do everything in English, because most of the country in Canada speaks English as does its economy. So would you also want Montreal to become a pre-dominantly English speaking city?

Going back to your original post, you don't want to see Miami's Latin vibe. That is a relatively recent phenomenon. Why are you holding onto it so tightly?

Old 07-15-2022, 02:37 PM

26,758 posts, read 37,652,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post

Note that Montreal was a mainly French-speaking city long before the current Canada existed as a country.

Old 07-15-2022, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Note that Montreal was a mainly French-speaking city long before the current Canada existed as a country.
That's a good point. Also, I was told Canada is officially bilingual as far as at least government jobs.

Going back to Thinker's comments, I think one can make a much stronger point for the case of Puerto Rico, not a state, but a US Territory. I travel there each year and I know that the matter of language is a bigger concern there. Some Puerto Ricans are concerned that their Spanish-language culture will disappear if they become a state. That deserves some analysis...but this is in the Miami thread.

Thinker, I am not mocking you and apologize if I have been coming across that way.

Old 07-15-2022, 09:13 PM

26,758 posts, read 37,652,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancuriosity View Post
That's a good point. Also, I was told Canada is officially bilingual as far as at least government jobs.
Official bilingualism in Canada is imperfect, but it does go a lot further than just government jobs.

Old 07-16-2022, 01:09 AM

94 posts, read 101,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
State of Florida also spoke Spanish before English before US became a country. Just saying.

Old 07-16-2022, 06:48 AM

18,204 posts, read 8,021,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlitwanderer View Post
State of Florida also spoke Spanish before English before US became a country. Just saying.
...and different dialects of Timucua were the official language before that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami