Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 07:32 AM

1,260 posts, read 943,688 times

Advertisements

As we all know what makes Miami so unique and makes it "Miami" is the international, specifically Latin character that it has. No other city in the US like it.

However, I am starting to get concerned that current times are building the foundation for that to go away. With the mass migration of northeasterners moving down here, and if that trend continues at the current rate it will definitely change the demographic here. Not only that, with COL rising so high, it will also displace a lot of the locals that make Miami, Miami.

I know all cities change and 60 years ago Miami was a complete different place before it became a Latin and International city.

But my question is how do you balance in maintaining the culture of Miami while also creating huge growth in terms of economy and housing?

Part of me thinks a good strategy would be in making Miami the Latin American hub for so many corporations. It already is for companies like Microsoft, Apple and HBO, but I feel if the city kept brining in new corporations where Miami could serve as the Latin American hub for them it could bring those jobs but help sustain and grow the Latin American population within the city in a positive way. Miami has the demographic that speaks Spanish and Portuguese to make it work. The city could work on having brands like Netflix, Nike, all and every type of brand have their Latin American hub located in Miami. We already started with a handful of brands, why not keep it going and get more Latin American hubs here and less just general regional American hubs? If anything I think it would be nice if Fort Lauderdale/WPB could attract tech companies that are more focused on the US and Florida, and Miami more on Latin America.

For the record, I am not anti-white or anti-American, it's just if you want an American city that has a huge white population that dominates, there are so many cities to choose from in this country.

But if you want a city where Latin American culture and people really are the drivers of the city and drive the culture of the city, there are so far and few here in the US like that. Besides El Paso (and that's a totally different type of city) there are no other cities like Miami where it has this unique culture. It's why I moved here (Latino myself) and would hate to see in 2-3 decades from now, that Miami is just like Austin or even closer a Fort Lauderdale losing it's unique character.

It's like if New Orleans got flooded with Northeasterners, diluting the culture of the city. I think in cities with that more unique culture like New Orleans, Miami, Honolulu, it would be nice if those cities could do everything to maintain their unique culture but also progress and grow economically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2022, 10:46 AM

3,195 posts, read 2,648,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
As we all know what makes Miami so unique and makes it "Miami" is the international, specifically Latin character that it has. No other city in the US like it.

However, I am starting to get concerned that current times are building the foundation for that to go away. With the mass migration of northeasterners moving down here, and if that trend continues at the current rate it will definitely change the demographic here. Not only that, with COL rising so high, it will also displace a lot of the locals that make Miami, Miami.

I know all cities change and 60 years ago Miami was a complete different place before it became a Latin and International city.

But my question is how do you balance in maintaining the culture of Miami while also creating huge growth in terms of economy and housing?

Part of me thinks a good strategy would be in making Miami the Latin American hub for so many corporations. It already is for companies like Microsoft, Apple and HBO, but I feel if the city kept brining in new corporations where Miami could serve as the Latin American hub for them it could bring those jobs but help sustain and grow the Latin American population within the city in a positive way. Miami has the demographic that speaks Spanish and Portuguese to make it work. The city could work on having brands like Netflix, Nike, all and every type of brand have their Latin American hub located in Miami. We already started with a handful of brands, why not keep it going and get more Latin American hubs here and less just general regional American hubs? If anything I think it would be nice if Fort Lauderdale/WPB could attract tech companies that are more focused on the US and Florida, and Miami more on Latin America.

For the record, I am not anti-white or anti-American, it's just if you want an American city that has a huge white population that dominates, there are so many cities to choose from in this country.

But if you want a city where Latin American culture and people really are the drivers of the city and drive the culture of the city, there are so far and few here in the US like that. Besides El Paso (and that's a totally different type of city) there are no other cities like Miami where it has this unique culture. It's why I moved here (Latino myself) and would hate to see in 2-3 decades from now, that Miami is just like Austin or even closer a Fort Lauderdale losing it's unique character.

It's like if New Orleans got flooded with Northeasterners, diluting the culture of the city. I think in cities with that more unique culture like New Orleans, Miami, Honolulu, it would be nice if those cities could do everything to maintain their unique culture but also progress and grow economically.
Miami will never lose the Latin American culture or feel. Even with all the Northerners flocking, they always tend to leave the city for elsewhere in the metropolitan area. There is a reason why Miami still remains 75% Hispanic, because 93% of immigrants come from Latin America. Plus lets be honest, outside certain parts of MDC, Miami loses the Latin American feel, so this is just strictly a city of Miami/SoBe and Hialeah issue. The only thing I can see is other cities chipping away at Miami's heels by attracting more companies from Latin America to choose their respective cities over Miami, which has been happening more lately and expected in a globalized world.

It is also important to note that Miami only focuses on Latin America and two cities in the United States for majority of the city's business, and most notably its quest to become a "tech hub". However, this makes Miami less international and more of a regional hub. It kinda reminds me of Montreal back in the days, where it only focused on French speaking nations in the world for business and immigration, but this has changed in the past decade, thus making us a truly international city. Miami claims to be an international city, but it really is a Latin American hub in North America.

So with that, Miami will never lose the Latin American charm, unless cities start taking away Latin American talent, increase immigration quotas from there and at the same time, tech bros from SF/NYC have their way and make Miami a bastardized version of SF/NYC or whatever city they are trying to pretend to be.

Old 03-22-2022, 10:57 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,534,932 times
I agree with this….even with all the US transplants (and more coastal neighborhoods becoming more nerdified and making it feel as though I’m in the middle of an Indeed.com commercial) Miami will retain its Latin culture. A number of NY’ers are already moving back and more South Americans will resume moving here now that Covid is seemingly more under control, newest variant be damned.

M
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Miami will never lose the Latin American culture or feel. Even with all the Northerners flocking, they always tend to leave the city for elsewhere in the metropolitan area. There is a reason why Miami still remains 75% Hispanic, because 93% of immigrants come from Latin America. Plus lets be honest, outside certain parts of MDC, Miami loses the Latin American feel, so this is just strictly a city of Miami/SoBe and Hialeah issue. The only thing I can see is other cities chipping away at Miami's heels by attracting more companies from Latin America to choose their respective cities over Miami, which has been happening more lately and expected in a globalized world.

It is also important to note that Miami only focuses on Latin America and two cities in the United States for majority of the city's business, and most notably its quest to become a "tech hub". However, this makes Miami less international and more of a regional hub. It kinda reminds me of Montreal back in the days, where it only focused on French speaking nations in the world for business and immigration, but this has changed in the past decade, thus making us a truly international city. Miami claims to be an international city, but it really is a Latin American hub in North America.

So with that, Miami will never lose the Latin American charm, unless cities start taking away Latin American talent, increase immigration quotas from there and at the same time, tech bros from SF/NYC have their way and make Miami a bastardized version of SF/NYC or whatever city they are trying to pretend to be.

Old 03-22-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I agree with this….even with all the US transplants (and more coastal neighborhoods becoming more nerdified and making it feel as though I’m in the middle of an Indeed.com commercial) Miami will retain its Latin culture. A number of NY’ers are already moving back and more South Americans will resume moving here now that Covid is seemingly more under control, newest variant be damned.

M
I hope you are right. And I am starting to see it.

I met a New Yorker who moved to Brickell from NYC. He said he likes Brickell, but it's no Manhattan, basically saying he is not all the impressed with it. To me that was basically saying to me that he's not finding Brickell to be fulfilling. I get the vibe he will go back. I met another New Yorker, same deal moved to Brickell, but he doesn't care for the rest of the city and rarely left Brickell.

I also met another New Yorker, who lives in Miami Shores. He's not liking Miami (I think he was expecting it to be more American). He doesn't like the driving, he doesn't like that it's not more diverse nor the vibes of the city, and feels a little left out that he can't speak Spanish. So he is terminating his lease early and moving to Fort Lauderdale, which he feels more comfortable in.

My hope is that, Miami is indeed one of those cities that is not for everyone. Me being from Latin America, the bad driving, while I don't love it, I am used to it and expected to it. The slow and bad customer service? Expected and used to it. Friends (American friends that is) that have visited me from Chicago, get really frustrated by the customer service here when they visit. There are a lot of them that I think to myself "You could never live in Miami then..." You really have to love Latin American culture to enjoy Miami IMO, so that is my hope that the people who don't enjoy it will go away.

Miami does have the benefit that it has close cities like Fort Lauderdale and WPB, that gives people those options to move to if they want something more they are used to and American.

Old 03-22-2022, 12:05 PM

7,407 posts, read 6,534,932 times
I'm not shocked by the number of NY'ers who moved to SoFla and Miami; I'm more surprised by the number of Californians who moved here--granted, nowhere near the magnitude of NY'ers....all I heard from the weather wusses when I lived in CA was how could anyone possibly live in an area with humidity (same folks who call January drizzle a "winter storm watch").

Keep in mind last summer was a very mild one here in Miami. I would be shocked if that happens again and expect a more normal/hotter summer this year (so much that I just booked my August vacation to Rio to break up the summer) with a number of these Californians who rented, rather than buying, scurrying back home unless they moved here for political reasons.

Quote:
I hope you are right. And I am starting to see it.

I met a New Yorker who moved to Brickell from NYC. He said he likes Brickell, but it's no Manhattan, basically saying he is not all the impressed with it. To me that was basically saying to me that he's not finding Brickell to be fulfilling. I get the vibe he will go back. I met another New Yorker, same deal moved to Brickell, but he doesn't care for the rest of the city and rarely left Brickell.

I also met another New Yorker, who lives in Miami Shores. He's not liking Miami (I think he was expecting it to be more American). He doesn't like the driving, he doesn't like that it's not more diverse nor the vibes of the city, and feels a little left out that he can't speak Spanish. So he is terminating his lease early and moving to Fort Lauderdale, which he feels more comfortable in.

My hope is that, Miami is indeed one of those cities that is not for everyone. Me being from Latin America, the bad driving, while I don't love it, I am used to it and expected to it. The slow and bad customer service? Expected and used to it. Friends (American friends that is) that have visited me from Chicago, get really frustrated by the customer service here when they visit. There are a lot of them that I think to myself "You could never live in Miami then..." You really have to love Latin American culture to enjoy Miami IMO, so that is my hope that the people who don't enjoy it will go away.

Miami does have the benefit that it has close cities like Fort Lauderdale and WPB, that gives people those options to move to if they want something more they are used to and American.

Old 03-24-2022, 07:39 AM

111 posts, read 68,250 times
Quote:

Many Northeasterners moving to Miami and Florida in general, are of Latin American/Caribbean ancestry. There's many Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Haitians, Jamaicans coming from areas like Bronx, Brooklyn, Upper Manhattan, Queens, Philadelphia, Allentown, Buffalo, Boston, Hartford etc. Though, Northeast Latinos may be slightly different than Florida born Latinos. And some other Northeast folks who don't have those ancestries, like Italians, Jews, Russians, Irish, African Americans, West Africans, South Asians, Chinese. Also immigration from Latin America to Miami is still strong, just as strong as the northeast wave if not stronger.

Old 03-24-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPRCubaSpain View Post
Many Northeasterners moving to Miami and Florida in general, are of Latin American/Caribbean ancestry. There's many Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Haitians, Jamaicans coming from areas like Bronx, Brooklyn, Upper Manhattan, Queens, Philadelphia, Allentown, Buffalo, Boston, Hartford etc. Though, Northeast Latinos may be slightly different than Florida born Latinos. And some other Northeast folks who don't have those ancestries, like Italians, Jews, Russians, Irish, African Americans, West Africans, South Asians, Chinese. Also immigration from Latin America to Miami is still strong, just as strong as the northeast wave if not stronger.
I just wonder if the high COL in Miami now will deter migration for Latin America. It's one thing when the apartment you were planning on renting was $1500 a month and now costs $2500. I know a lot of rich Latin Americans will continue to move here, but I feel like this high COL and so many New Yorkers coming down would certainly have some effect.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:19 AM

18,425 posts, read 8,256,472 times
Miami/Dade is about 3/4 Latin....

https://www.miamidadematters.org/dem...&sectionId=941

Old 03-24-2022, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Yes, well all know that. Doesn't mean it can't change with current trends. San Francisco is a completely different city in demographics compared to what it was 30 years ago. Cities can change a lot in a matter of decades. Miami once was not a Latin city at all, and look where it is now.

Old 03-26-2022, 08:46 PM

689 posts, read 637,620 times
I'm not clear on why Miami should not change. I am fine with Miami having a Latin vibe. I am less clear on why Miami (or any city for that matter) needs to stay a certain way. Cities change based on their demographics, jobs, cost of living, etc. If I said my city has a "white vibe" and I didn't want it to change, I think it would come across pretty negatively. FWIW, my city is about 40% white, 40% Asian, 10% hispanic, and other groups after that. I am not saying the OP is in any way making a racial statement. I am just struggling with the concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami