Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2022, 06:21 PM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times

Advertisements

On cue, a person was shot near the 7-Eleven here in Brickell about an hour ago; police investigating right now. Last night an older gentleman jumped to his death from 1060 Brickell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2022, 03:54 AM

10 posts, read 17,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
If you have your heart set on being close to the beach, you might want to check out Panama City Beach. I just moved here 2 years ago. I got a reasonably priced place 3 miles to gorgeous beaches.

What country are you moving from?
Thank you for your recommendation. I'm from Serbia.

The reason why we are leaning towards the MIA/FLL area is because we are already familiar with it, we really love it and we have some family and friends who moved there few years ago.

They have already gave us some tips of course, but I was looking forward to hear more about someone who sees things from different perspective than them.

From my research, I personally lean more towards Broward county because I got impression that it's less busy than Miami, the property prices are more affordable, and you get little bit more laid back atmosphere and local vibe. If you ever need to go to Miami, it's 45 minute drive from time to time, we definitely don't need to be in the center of everything all the time

For example one of my friends lives in Hollywood, in a neighborhood that is 5 minutes drive from the Hollywood Beach (15 minutes with bicycle), takes him 15-20 minutes to Fort Lauderdale and 35 minutes to Miami Beach.

However none of them have bought the place, they are all renting, so that's why I have asked those questions in the first post, because I am really not familiar with the process of purchasing condo, which we would definitely prefer than to rent.

Old 12-12-2022, 07:26 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americki San View Post
Thank you for your recommendation. I'm from Serbia.

The reason why we are leaning towards the MIA/FLL area is because we are already familiar with it, we really love it and we have some family and friends who moved there few years ago.

They have already gave us some tips of course, but I was looking forward to hear more about someone who sees things from different perspective than them.

From my research, I personally lean more towards Broward county because I got impression that it's less busy than Miami, the property prices are more affordable, and you get little bit more laid back atmosphere and local vibe. If you ever need to go to Miami, it's 45 minute drive from time to time, we definitely don't need to be in the center of everything all the time

For example one of my friends lives in Hollywood, in a neighborhood that is 5 minutes drive from the Hollywood Beach (15 minutes with bicycle), takes him 15-20 minutes to Fort Lauderdale and 35 minutes to Miami Beach.

However none of them have bought the place, they are all renting, so that's why I have asked those questions in the first post, because I am really not familiar with the process of purchasing condo, which we would definitely prefer than to rent.
I heard great things about Hollywood, FL. I have some Hungarian friends that stay there at least once a year because they have some friends that live in that town. Also, keep in mind we have the Brightline train which is only a 30 min. ride between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. Good luck!

Old 12-12-2022, 11:20 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,107,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
On cue, a person was shot near the 7-Eleven here in Brickell about an hour ago; police investigating right now. Last night an older gentleman jumped to his death from 1060 Brickell.
Terrible news. I've heard that Miami today is for the young and (in South Florida) attractive. And for those who don't have roots and relatives there, often meaning Cuban, it can be very hard for an older person, lady or gentleman. Also upsetting that anyone could be shot in Brickell.

Old 12-12-2022, 11:29 AM

I’m no spring chicken and there are people older than me in my building and elsewhere in Brickell—though it has been trending younger IMHO since Covid. I’m shocked at the number of young ladies who still reside in the area as pricey as it has gotten though I’m fairly certain they are “sponsored”—which prevents the area from turning into SF (5:1 guys and a good looking woman every 2-3 months).

Coconut Grove is appealing more and more to me and I might end up there sometime in the near future. Lots of good retail development/gentrification within the past few years with less high rise density, more established, older and more US born/transplant/first language English speaking population—though even more expensive than Brickell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Terrible news. I've heard that Miami today is for the young and (in South Florida) attractive. And for those who don't have roots and relatives there, often meaning Cuban, it can be very hard for an older person, lady or gentleman. Also upsetting that anyone could be shot in Brickell.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-12-2022 at 11:38 AM..

Old 12-12-2022, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I’m no spring chicken and there are people older than me in my building and elsewhere in Brickell—though it has been trending younger IMHO since Covid. I’m shocked at the number of young ladies who still reside in the area as pricey as it has gotten though I’m fairly certain they are “sponsored”—which prevents the area from turning into SF (5:1 guys and a good looking woman every 2-3 months).

Coconut Grove is appealing more and more to me and I might end up there sometime in the near future. Lots of good retail development/gentrification within the past few years with less high rise density, more established, older and more US born/transplant/first language English speaking population—though even more expensive than Brickell.
One thing is for sure: "sponsoring" will never go out of style at any time in human history -- 100% guaranteed! Is the Grove really pricier than Brickell now? Could you give an overview (very general is fine) of the housing costs among different Miami neighborhoods? The conventional wisdom (I think it still is) was that Brickell and South Beach were the priciest for the same housing. Also, you wrote once that you were of Latino descent and loved that cultural aspect of Miami. Would you really be happier in the Grove, with its more Old Miami Anglo vibe? The Grove really reminds me of those old "Jackie Gleason Show" days in Anglo Miami -- which shows my age.

Old 12-12-2022, 05:09 PM

^ ^ ^

I’m a white boy from NY—not Latino, though I do hit Brazil and Colombia annually.

From my casual observation new construction in The Grove is more than Brickell; you can find less expensive units on older buildings.

The Grove has modernized and gentrified—like Santa Monica it appeals to aging hippies with money. It’s no longer the Grove I first visited in the early 80’s or from the TV show Burn Notice—but it still retains a Bohemian and more relaxed vibe that Brickell lacks.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-12-2022 at 05:48 PM..

Old 12-12-2022, 07:09 PM

Quote:
^ ^ ^

I’m a white boy from NY—not Latino, though I do hit Brazil and Colombia annually.

From my casual observation new construction in The Grove is more than Brickell; you can find less expensive units on older buildings.

The Grove has modernized and gentrified—like Santa Monica it appeals to aging hippies with money. It’s no longer the Grove I first visited in the early 80’s or from the TV show Burn Notice—but it still retains a Bohemian and more relaxed vibe that Brickell lacks.
Apologies -- must have confused you with a couple of other Miami Forum regulars. Sadly, the Grove sounds a lot like SoHo and TriBeCa. Last question: Do you feel safe being out and around in Brickell, especially at night? And does the Grove feel any more, or less, secure to you? The current press about crime in expensive Miami Beach neighborhoods.is getting pretty bad.

Old 12-13-2022, 06:18 AM

The only safety concern I have in Brickell is crossing the street. One of these days some schm*ck who ignores a red light might strike me in the crosswalk.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-13-2022 at 07:04 AM..

Old 12-13-2022, 07:47 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,698 times
Quote:
The only safety concern I have in Brickell is crossing the street. One of these days some schm*ck who ignores a red light might strike me in the crosswalk.
That's funny as h3ll! So true. Other than the ignorant drivers I am like what crime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami