Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2022, 07:25 AM

18,431 posts, read 8,264,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You're pigeon-holing.

Visit a Chinese, Pakistani or Vietnamese (among others) community in one of the big cities in the US and you'll see the same example of non-assimilation. Your world-view is quite myopic on this topic.
that's exactly what I just said....is your brain working?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2022, 07:47 PM

689 posts, read 638,689 times
The result of non-assimilation.

https://wsvn.com/news/local/video-sh...speak-spanish/

Old 12-31-2022, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancuriosity View Post
There's more to that....

In Hialeah there's only one thing worse than being a non-spanish speaking white...
...and that's a non-spanish speaking black

Most of their crime comes from the large black areas to the east....and they don't want them there at all

Old 01-01-2023, 12:21 PM

451 posts, read 456,066 times
Default Why?

If your Spanish culture is so important to you, what are you doing here? Seriously, I'm quite liberal as far as immigration goes, but you have to admit that those who resent immigrants do so at least partially because they see those who hang on tenaciously to their heritage as a threat to their own heritage.

Old 01-02-2023, 11:16 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,398,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Let's not forget the fact that the vast majority of Hispanics in the US especially in the Midwest are of Mexican descent so this is what they only know and it becomes a stereotype. This happened to a relative of mine when he first joined the Military and was stationed in Nebraska. They didn't believe he was Hispanic because he is blond haired & blue eyed until he started speaking fluent Spanish. He told me they were shocked because they had never seen a fair skinned Latino before.
We in Florida are somewhat lucky to have so many diverse types of Hispanics so the stereotypes are less here and more people seem to be educated about the differences among the many Latino cultures.
"We in Florida" are not exposed to such diversity, unfortunately.

Where I am, in a specific part of Florida with a population of over 150,000 people, there's not much diversity at all. Over 95% of residents are white and identify as Republican, heterosexual and gender-normative, and most of that majority also identifies as some manner of Christian. The vast majority of latinos in this area - work for the rest of them in the form of day-laborers, construction, landscapers, and roofers who work for individuals who don't have a license to do business and pay their employees cash (so when they fall off a ladder the hospital bill is their own to pay).

As such, a rather loud contingency of residents here are anti-diversity. Anti-Latino, anti-Jewish, anti-LGBTQ+, anti-progress, anti-liberal, anti-anything-that-isn't-just-like-them.

Many of them even live in cookie-cutter villas, each walled in so that no one has to ever see their neighbors except on the morning of trash day twice a week.

Many of these folks come from the white christian suburbs and rural areas of Ohio and Wisconsin - where they grow up without diversity. And they move to this retirement community because they want to see more of the same that they grew up with.

Then there are folks like me - who are "different" and move here despite them, not because of them. I embrace diversity, and I am diverse, coming from a diverse county in a diverse state.

The "locals" here though - outside our semi-private community, are primarily homesteaders, farmers, or live in old-style trailer parks. They definitely don't embrace diversity.

Old 02-05-2023, 02:39 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Let's not forget the fact that the vast majority of Hispanics in the US especially in the Midwest are of Mexican descent so this is what they only know and it becomes a stereotype. This happened to a relative of mine when he first joined the Military and was stationed in Nebraska. They didn't believe he was Hispanic because he is blond haired & blue eyed until he started speaking fluent Spanish. He told me they were shocked because they had never seen a fair skinned Latino before.
We in Florida are somewhat lucky to have so many diverse types of Hispanics so the stereotypes are less here and more people seem to be educated about the differences among the many Latino cultures.
The same thing happens with other Hispanics. I am white Cuban. A Mexican-American friend of mine down in Texas thought I was lying about being Cuban. "You're too white, your hair isn't curly and you don't have an ass!"

Old 02-06-2023, 10:31 PM

94 posts, read 104,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWhom View Post
If your Spanish culture is so important to you, what are you doing here? Seriously, I'm quite liberal as far as immigration goes, but you have to admit that those who resent immigrants do so at least partially because they see those who hang on tenaciously to their heritage as a threat to their own heritage.
What I don't understand is why some white Americans feel that their culture is the only one who has a place in the United States and that everyone else has to conform to it in order to be acceptable. Why is it hard to understand that some places in this country and within cities have a white American culture, some African American, Latino, Asian, Native American, ect. There are many ethnicities that inherently make up the fabric of United States and have a justified place here just like the next person. Maybe instead of you asking if they love Spanish culture why are they in United States you could also ask yourself if you dislike Hispanic culture why are you in Miami. Your turn to assimilate.

Old 02-07-2023, 06:28 AM

what I don't understand is why someone is so naive they think it's just an American problem

The new generation of smug American expats in Mexico needs to face the truth

"In both places, natives have loudly complained that these new Americans are pricing them out of their homes and not bothering to learn local mores and traditions."

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...co-controversy

Mexicans are complaining that Americans don't learn the language or customs....no different

Old 02-07-2023, 06:39 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,328,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamInMiami View Post
We have no responsibility to understand the nuances of each, unless we plan to visit or move there. But the Hispanics DO have the obligation to understand and blend in OUR culture when they immigrate here. In Hialeah many people have spent many decades in the US yet don't speak a word of English. I don't give a rat's butt about those other countries.
An unfortunate circumstance, but the poster raises a vaild point; assimilation is essentially a one-way street.

Old 02-07-2023, 07:48 AM

195 posts, read 130,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamInMiami View Post
I have always found that people who are too dumb to understand and analyze complex issues will try to simplify everything by breaking things down into race. Some of us see people whereas others see things (ie: latinos, blacks, chinese, etc.)

Beautifully said.

Latinos as a rule understand nuance and value individuals as individuals.

Many anglos do the same...but they are increasingly attacked for doing so as "color-blind racists" as dumb as this sounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami