Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 01:35 PM

167 posts, read 199,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by piranhaman View Post
I would say that interracial dating is not very widespread. I have noticed that most latinos do not to mix with Anglos very often. In the case of white Cubans, they most likely were white in Cuba before coming here, and kept a white bloodline. In older, more established areas of Miami, i.e. South Miami, the Grove, Miami Shores, to name a few, there are more chances of finding really 'mixed' neighborhoods where people consummate interracial marriages, assimilate, and prosper. Newer, or "fresher" areas of Miami, such as Doral, but pretty much all of west and south Dade, have all most none of this. Even more important is that these "ethnicities" or "nationalities," however Crispy wants to call them, almost never mix. They are for the most part homogonous, rarely crossing those imaginary cultural boundaries. Their cultures seem quite similar to an outsider, but in fact are quite different. It's a shame, but this is perpetuated by the lack of integration in Miami. I also think that higher class latinos intermingle less than those of limited economic means, who experiment or cross over more often.
Again "interracial" dating ... I was not aware that Hispanics or "Latinos" were a race .... Anglo is not a race either , but an ethnicity . Caucasian is a race of which all Anglos and many Hispanics fit the description .

By the way I go to UM and there are many , many Anglo and Hispanic couples .... both straight and gay Inter "ethnic" dating Anglo / Hispanic is quite common down here .. usually see white guys with Hispanic babes but not the other way around for some reason ?

Old 06-01-2008, 01:57 PM

28 posts, read 38,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane Fan View Post
Again "interracial" dating ... I was not aware that Hispanics or "Latinos" were a race .... Anglo is not a race either , but an ethnicity . Caucasian is a race of which all Anglos and many Hispanics fit the description .

By the way I go to UM and there are many , many Anglo and Hispanic couples .... both straight and gay Inter "ethnic" dating Anglo / Hispanic is quite common down here .. usually see white guys with Hispanic babes but not the other way around for some reason ?
That's funny, I've mostly seen white babes with hispanic guys, but not the other way around. Interesting. The reason interracial dating is more prevelent in older, wealthier, and more 'established' areas of Miami like Coral Gables is because the hispanic ethnicities that live there have already assimilated, and are therefor just as american as anyone esle, minus the name that always ends in a vowel. The newer immigrant areas of miami, particularly out west, do not have this, and I believe that they will never assimilate to recreate what happened in Coral Gables.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:01 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times
Smile From my own experience, true

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
This is a little bit off-topic but still fits into the theme of the discussion: Lots of people (not from South Florida, obviously) get nervous when they find out that it's common for elementary schools in nice, middle class areas of Miami-Dade county to be "only" 15-25% non-Hispanic white with most of the other students being Hispanic. Due to so much Hispanic/non-Hispanic white mixed marriage, lots of the "Hispanic" kids are actually only 1/2 Hispanic and many grow up to either not really identify with being Hispanic or not to speak Spanish at all. My mom is a public schoolteacher and year after year she tells me that about 1/2 of her "Hispanic" pupils have one non-Hispanic white parent, and that most of these children really don't speak Spanish at all. Sorry for that detour; back to mixed dating/relationships!
I have found this to be true also. A lot of the people I grew up with - we never thought of them as Cuban, Hispanic - they were just John, Rick, etc.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:03 PM

346 posts, read 1,341,511 times
My neighbor is a Jewban couple. She's Jewish and he's Cuban. My co-worker is white and married to a Cuban woman. I even had a Vietnamese friend that married a Cuban woman and had 2 kids. They're divorce now, but I think it's normal down here to see all kinds of interracial relationships.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:15 PM

670 posts, read 1,743,050 times
If we met at the theater, there is no way you would ever know that I am Cuban.
Trust me on that one.
I just spent 2 years in a County in Fl with a 92% white non-hispanic population (Met only one Cuban in two years who actually lived there. A retired anesthesiologist married to a Greek lady.)
I flaunt it here to amuse myself (basically to rub in in the face of others that have demonstrated intolerance.)
I was born with blue eyes and blond hair (hair is gray now, eyes are hazel)
My mother's and daughter's skins are so white that I am sure they need some sun. (I'm suntanned)
I read the OP and took the question at face value; interracial dating with a Cuban. Maybe I am dumb and naive, but honestly, until I read the replies I thought nothing of it.
Now as to the interracial dating, hmmm, I really do not know if there is a clear answer.
I would feel happy to date a beautiful black / mulatta Cuban female.
Quick, PM with number / e-mail (I'm divorced)
Now, if you are asking about a Cuban dating interracially with a non-Cuban, I'll let others answer that one, for me that would be too complicated.
(I dated a sweet Jewish girl once, all her friends would ask: "Well yes! But is he a jew?" Got to be a running joke. It can get complicated.)

Last edited by jbravo; 06-01-2008 at 02:24 PM..

Old 06-01-2008, 02:21 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piranhaman View Post
That's because if you go anywhere esle in the country the word Hispanic now means Mexican. There are no other U.S. cities like Miami with so many Hispanic identities. You can't blame people for this, they are used to Mexican culture being blasted at them, and since Spanish is the common denominator, most Americans don't care if they are Mexican or whatever else;they are hispanic.

That really sums it up perfectly, if you were to come here to Michigan.. the only hispanics (obviously to a point, we're brasilian) that you will see here are mexicans. If you were to say a hispanic person here in Michigan 98% of people would just think Mexican and not for one second consider another country is 'hispanic'.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:37 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbravo View Post
If we met at the theater, there is no way you would ever know that I am Cuban.
Trust me on that one.
I dunno Jbravo, my "Cuban-dar" is too fine-tuned for you to slip under my radar! LOL, j/k.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:58 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,594 times
I don't think its common they like to stick to their own kind

Old 06-01-2008, 04:41 PM

28 posts, read 38,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I don't think its common they like to stick to their own kind
Traditionally, interracial dating is the most direct form of social and economic escalation, however, there are some very well off hispanics in Miami that defy this trend. Many in Miami will date and marry within their ethnic community as there are many options for them to meet people of their same social status - economic status - and immigration status without having to venture outward to another "ethnicity".

Old 06-01-2008, 06:07 PM

670 posts, read 1,743,050 times
Default You're mind is too strong for my Jedi tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I dunno Jbravo, my "Cuban-dar" is too fine-tuned for you to slip under my radar! LOL, j/k.
You must not be susceptible to Jedi mind tricks!
Aaaaahh.....If you only knew the power of the DARK side.

_But, I do plan to post a pic of myself on the thread/poll on helmets
for motorcycle riders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami