Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 01:00 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times

Advertisements

Probably because a lot of Europeans coming to Miami have a good amount of money and live in nicer areas (don't flame me if I'm wrong just a guess). Miami strikes me as more of a place to move at a younger age for a good experience but not really a place to raise a family. Perhaps I'll be able to form a much better opinion when I actually move there this fall and know what its like first hand and not just reading the forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 02:57 PM

483 posts, read 1,544,830 times
In Europe they are more tolerable of multiple languages and the thought of a bilingual city is thought of as a good thing, plus Europeans just seem to love the weather and beaches of Florida more than anybody.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:36 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerMan View Post
In Europe they are more tolerable of multiple languages and the thought of a bilingual city is thought of as a good thing, plus Europeans just seem to love the weather and beaches of Florida more than anybody.
Plus don't forget the Euro Xchange rate makes us very cheap now.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:04 PM

710 posts, read 2,233,731 times
We are moving BACK to MIA from San Diego.
Most of what people attribute to rudeness is just big-cityness OR it's a Latin thing. Many of them came over very privilaged and were/are used to being addressed in a very formal way (everyone remember how in this country we used to use "sir" and "ma'am"? Not anymore.). The poor/working class Latins who came over (by and large) won't put up with this and resent the formality. It will work itself out.

It doesn't bother me 1 bit if some chula at Don Pan isn't kissing my gringo ass because I bought a sandwich. I don't care. If people are rude, be nice back. Simple.

Many people in MIA are rude, many drive NUTS. Other than that, it is a pretty exciting, vibrant, interesting city to live and raise kids in.

(And I'm referring to Brickell/Roads/C Grove/CG/S Mia/Pincecrest corridor OR Miami Beach OR Aventura areas. Like most big cities, MIA has crappy areas, some just fair ones and good/great ones.)

Last edited by planetsurf; 06-03-2008 at 01:00 PM..

Old 06-03-2008, 01:02 PM

763 posts, read 3,532,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
Most of what people attribute to rudeness is just big-cityness OR it's a Latin thing. Many of them came over very privilaged and were/are used to being addressed in a very formal way (everyone remember how in this country we used to use "sir" and "ma'am"? Not anymore.). The poor/working class Latins who came over (by and large) won't put up with this and resent the formality. It will work itself out.

It doesn't bother me 1 bit if some chula at Don Pan isn't kissing my gringo ass because I bought a sandwich. I don't care. If people are rude, be nice back. Simple.

Many people in MIA are rude, many drive NUTS. Other than that, it is a pretty exciting, vibrant, interesting city to live and raise kids in.

(And I'm referring to Brickell/Roads/C Grove/CG/S Mia/Pincecrest corridor OR Miami Beach OR Aventura areas. Like most big cities, MIA has crappy areas, some just fair ones and good/great ones.)
Welcome back!

Old 06-03-2008, 06:59 PM

167 posts, read 199,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post

Another superb post .... I like your attitude .... I like many areas of Miami
Dade County and others I would not set foot in if you paid me ... yes there are many rude people and a prevailing ghetto attitude in some areas , but I have also met some very nice people that off set the a-holes . Spanish does not bother me at all ... cool it makes Miami different , what I do not like is the rudeness of many recently arrived immigrants . By the way I am in love with Coral Gables I really think it is a unique city and Miami Shores is also a little pearl , with whoooahhh many Anglos still residing there !!!

Old 06-03-2008, 10:38 PM

464 posts, read 1,360,684 times
Miami is a place that people MUST experience IF they really want to come here.

You either have gratification: (income,able to manage rent/mortgage,insurance,higher general costs, love for the diversity, beaches and scenaries, SIZZLING nighlife, glamour and fashion senses, hot, half-naked bods, and so much more...

Or Realization (dissatisfaction): Overpriced; overcrowded,over-rated, over advertised, not much for what you put out, city slickers and shady people...and the list goes on.

I agree with one poster who said; it just depends on the amount of money u have, but more specifically depends on age, status, and point of life you are.

The lines between gratification and dissatisfaction are somewhat a blur to me, as there's lot of dough, but not enough all at the same time.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:27 PM

21 posts, read 96,094 times
Will Smith likes Miami too.

YouTube - WILL SMITH- MIAMI

Old 06-04-2008, 11:12 AM

710 posts, read 2,233,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane Fan View Post

Another superb post .... I like your attitude .... I like many areas of Miami
Dade County and others I would not set foot in if you paid me ... yes there are many rude people and a prevailing ghetto attitude in some areas , but I have also met some very nice people that off set the a-holes . Spanish does not bother me at all ... cool it makes Miami different , what I do not like is the rudeness of many recently arrived immigrants . By the way I am in love with Coral Gables I really think it is a unique city and Miami Shores is also a little pearl , with whoooahhh many Anglos still residing there !!!
I feel very blessed to have a home literally 3 blocks from the UM campus to come back to. Not sure how I would feel trying to buy something in todays market ... we got in VERY cheap.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:49 AM

8 posts, read 42,240 times
I was recently in the Miami area for a week on assignment. It was certainly not my first time in Florida, but it was my first time in Miami, also Homestead, Kendall, and Florida City.

As someone from out of town (New Orleans), here are my observations, or what I noticed most about your city:

1. It's gorgeous and very much alive with scenery and culture; it's a fast-paced place and there's always something going on. Some of the sprawl can be annoying, such as US-1 south, but what big city doesn't have it?

2. Coming from a city famous for its food, your food has just as much variety and is very authentic, except you chicken out on blackened seafood -- ain't nearly hot enough for a New Orleanian. But the seafood was generally wonderful.

3. Your driving habits in general are some of the worst I've ever experienced; worse than metro New York or Boston. Very impatient and downright rude drivers. You all ought to lighten up and learn to share the road instead of driving like self-centered brats -- me, me, me. At a left-turn lane, a man behind me was blowing his horn and shouting, red-faced, because I wouldn't stick my front end out into traffic to try to force the oncoming cars to yield. Where I come from, when you're making a left turn, you wait your turn like everybody else. I smiled at him and he got even angrier. Finally, I read the news daily while I was there, and in seven days, five people died on your highways. When I returned my rental car at the airport, there was a lot full of wrecked rentals.

4. Everything is beautifully sculpted, and the shopping is fabulous, if you've got the money. I did see some lower-income neighborhoods, but even some of these places held some kind of simple charm. You've got waaaaay too many empty townhouses begging for takers in the suburbs. I think urban planners must have overdone the condo/townhouse idea.

5. Got a nail in my tire on the first day, after closing time, and the locals were very polite and helpful -- I got no attitude or shifty ways from anyone. One of them happened to have been from New Orleans, though.

In summation -- Miami is a very unique, fascinating, and culturally vibrant city. Even in the stinking August heat and relentless mosquito attacks, I embraced your unbelievable summer humidity like a snug blanket -- it felt terrific. However, I think you need to all grow up when it comes to driving. Stop being in such a big darn hurry and maybe you'll cut down on the highway carnage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami