Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2008, 01:50 PM

268 posts, read 357,955 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I have been reading with great interest everything about Miami.
I have been working for 2 years in an office in Montreal Canada and was just offered to be relocated into my compaines main office in Miami.

We ( wife and 2 children aged 2 and 11) do not like Montreal: 3 yards of snow and temperatures around -30F in the winter!
We know Miami well as toursits but not as locals. I speak some Spanish so...
Has anyone left a Montreal or a Northern city for Miami??
I would really appreciate any comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 07:16 PM

22 posts, read 74,657 times
I left Metro Minnesota. Pick a good area to live in Miami, and see if you can't take the train (metrorail) to work. Traffic compared to Montreal will be the most difficult. You will find a few French speakers about, and knowing minimum Spanish will make things MUCH easier!

Give up the snow, but plan CAREFULLY!

Old 06-05-2008, 07:20 AM

Default thanks

Many thanks for your reponse. I do not expect to find the prefect paradise.But I know that its not really where you live but how much you can spend in a city. I have a friend who lived in Russia and loved it because he made enough money to live very well even with -40 temperatures!

I am sure that there are good and bad people all over
There are also so many myths.
People talk alot about how great the outdoors are in Montreal even in the winter. But when you get -25 temperatures you don`t feel like ice skating or skiing!! We end up shopping undergrounfd all winter!
In Miami it can get really humid and sticky.And yes the storms..... the insects and people can get grumpy behind the wheel....
But the sun DOES help the moral..

Old 06-05-2008, 07:39 AM

179 posts, read 1,208,940 times
I would so much rather live in Miami than Canada...so cold. I know Miami as a tourist, but I also know people who live there and they are nice. My brother lives there almost year round (he goes to college there) and he's met a lot of nice people. He's never complained about bugs.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:25 PM

763 posts, read 3,531,709 times
Find a place near a Metrorail station so you don't need to buy a car, you'll save yourself so much money, time and stress- maybe look around Downtown or Brickell. Obviously, the weather in Miami is a lot better than Montreal and I'm sure you'll love that. Miami is nice if you have a job waiting for you here, so I think it's good that you're coming with security, and that's good. As long as you know English, you're good. Best of luck!

Old 06-05-2008, 02:22 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaya97 View Post
But the sun DOES help the moral..
Actually, it doesn't. According to police officers crime goes up during the summer months because of the extreme heat.

Just a correction.

Source:

"...research shows violence and crime really do rise with the temperature."

Crime goes up with temperature, psychologist finds

I personally heard it from an officer though.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:44 AM

Default thanks!

thanks too all for your answers!

Old 06-06-2008, 01:23 PM

763 posts, read 3,531,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Actually, it doesn't. According to police officers crime goes up during the summer months because of the extreme heat.

Just a correction.

Source:

"...research shows violence and crime really do rise with the temperature."

Crime goes up with temperature, psychologist finds

I personally heard it from an officer though.
Yeah and there's also a huge increase in suicides in the winter when people live in crap weather with no sunshine for half the year. Winter is depressing up north, it's no secret.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:17 AM

11 posts, read 24,799 times
My friend, any person who visited Miami really really love it; it is fun, clubs any where, restaurants, shopping centers, the beaches you have a lots plenty neighborhoods that you can choose. It seem perfect; but is not an easy city to live in. Why?

- Even if you are a professional it is difficult to find a Job
- Traffic you will hated it
- Cost of living; everything is expensive
- People are very rude, sometimes when you make a simple mistake in traffic they will treat you as an enemy some can follow you an express their anger

Old 03-07-2013, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRISMA View Post
My friend, any person who visited Miami really really love it; it is fun, clubs any where, restaurants, shopping centers, the beaches you have a lots plenty neighborhoods that you can choose. It seem perfect; but is not an easy city to live in. Why?

- Even if you are a professional it is difficult to find a Job
- Traffic you will hated it
- Cost of living; everything is expensive
- People are very rude, sometimes when you make a simple mistake in traffic they will treat you as an enemy some can follow you an express their anger

Miami has a hispanic or latino culture. Hispanics or latinos, specially Cubans or alike, like to yell when arguing about anything, If not used to it, you get the impression that they are about to jump on each other and start stabbing, but it's not a big deal really, just a noisy and emotional way to express their feelings.
same applies to traffic, you make a mistake and they will horn at you, scream and make faces, just don't take it too seriously, if you made a mistake and have the chance when driving, just look at the person and find a way to do a sympathetic gesture, something like i'm sorry, lo siento, and that will do, yes you will probably have to learn to apologize, but do it, you'll feel better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: