Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 01:27 PM

270 posts, read 703,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
Anybody from anywhere can get a job anywhere, if they have the necessary skills to complete the tasks needed.

Race/background/Language does not determine your credibility or experience as a worker/employee.

Using race as to why you didn't get a particular job, is again, just an excuse.

I know plenty of places in Miami that are English fluent, I don't know where in Miami you were in.
My experiences beg to differ!
I'm currently living in the part of Miami where you're living in
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_hemingway View Post
This is just patently untrue in Miami. Just about every non-latin person has told me the exact opposite.
+1
Thank you
Quote:
Well then maybe that's a good thing, now you know what it is like for a hispanic to get a job anywhere else in the USA.
By agreeing to that, doesn't it appear that you have used the race as an excuse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 03:41 PM

513 posts, read 961,183 times
All the asians I have met in WPB and Miami are like the asian gangsters in the Fast in the Furious movies. Or they are like the dancers in the Dance Revolution movie series.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:30 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
I've met quite a few Asians in Coral Gables.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:24 PM

861 posts, read 1,455,219 times
Who cares????

Miami already has too many immigrants and illegals as it is now.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:42 PM

115 posts, read 206,355 times
Quote:
Anybody from anywhere can get a job anywhere, if they have the necessary skills to complete the tasks needed.

Race/background/Language does not determine your credibility or experience as a worker/employee.

Using race as to why you didn't get a particular job, is again, just an excuse.

I know plenty of places in Miami that are English fluent, I don't know where in Miami you were in.
the only areas I can think of are Homestead, certain parts of North Miami, maybe Western South Florida?? idk
everywhere else in Miami is pretty Spanish speaking.

about teachers speaking Spanish in the classes, that is absolutely true! I've seen it happen first hand, and I've seen it happen in Miami-Dade College, especially InterAmerican.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:14 AM

270 posts, read 703,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meiguogubaren View Post

about teachers speaking Spanish in the classes, that is absolutely true! I've seen it happen first hand, and I've seen it happen in Miami-Dade College, especially InterAmerican.
Such an ironic is in the name lol You should have seen Kendall Campus, it's even more.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:52 AM

4 posts, read 5,450 times
This question caught my eye because I'm Asian, and on the few vacations that I have spent in SoBe, I have gotten a lot of unwanted attention because of my cultural scarcity.
There aren't that many Asians for the obvious reason.
Stereotypical Miami culture is the opposite of everything that is traditionally Asian.
It isn't geography, because there are large populations residing in the North East Coast.
Also, Miami is extremely saturated with Latin culture. It's unlike many other major U.S. cities. It's a flamboyant town, it parties late, and Spanish is highly suggested.
I just don't see it sitting well with the Asian population. It just would not happen...

Old 01-24-2013, 08:55 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Everyone says "Well, Miami is a flamboyant town, and has alot of late-night activities, and has a really lively culture, and that's so opposite to typical Asian tradition" Well, last I cheacked, LA, and SF weren't exactly "Calm, traditional, conservative" cities either. But then people say "geography doesn't come into play". I think it does come into play, the only reason Eastcoast cities like NYC, Boston, and DC have as many Asians as they do, is due to education(Boston) and global recognition(NYC/DC), otherwise, I don't think the east-coast would have as many Asians as it does. I'm just not buying the "Miami's too wild for Asians" argument. LA and SF, and Vegas are wild, and all 3 attract their fairshare. Hell most Asian big-cities have some of the most lively nightlife districts on the PLANET. Between HK, Bangkok, Tokyo, Seoul, Manila, New Dheli, you're talking about ALOT of late-night, wild, crazy, partiers. Hell, its often said that Koreatown in LA is one of the most lively districts in LA after the 2:00AM last call.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:10 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,191,580 times
I think it has mostly to do with history and where they settled while/after working on railroad tracks and mining.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:10 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
They prefer the other warmest place in the country: Honolulu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami