Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 06:56 PM

653 posts, read 1,918,895 times

Advertisements

asian person don't like sun, it make them look darker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne007 View Post
NY = 6% and Miami 5%

then why do I never see an Asian person on the strees in Miami, maybe once a week.

But in cities like NY, LA, Frisco, Toronto and Vancouver I see Asians daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 02:01 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Am I the only person who has met Asian gang-members and HS dropouts?

Having said that, in the US I think most Chinese come here on scholarships to study, so there may be some near the universities in Fla. Most Indians (AKA Asians) come here on H1B visas, and Florida has few jobs. I have no idea how they got a reputation for being studious, though. Africans do the same thing and do just as well in school. I think it's an immigrant thing. Also pre-college education in many countries is better than in the US. That's my personal experience.

On topic, I think students who did not grow up in the US may not have enough money to go to SouthBeach! Also, the "cool" guys who would go on a beach are probably in their home country. I can't imagine a PHD physics student hangin' on the beach, no matter what country he/she is from!

In my visits to Asia, ppl have been very into whitening products and keeping out of the sun. One thing I noticed is that the whitening products seem to make your skin break out. So lots of girls were white like paper and had lots of "acne." I think the same thing happens in African countries where women whiten skin a lot, too.

The standard of beauty for girls in the non-Indian Asian (how's that for PC) countries where I have been is:
Blindingly white skin,
Extremely skinny body,
Very HUGE eyes. I kid you not. If you have big eyes, go to non-Indian Asia, guys will love you. If you are even of average weight, you will feel like an elephant. I thought even my bones are not that skinny! LOL Okay Um, so maybe they would stay away from the beach to remain white.

For many of the FOB (fresh off the boat) Asians we get on the East Coast, I just don't think they are beach type people, anyway.

PPl do go to the beach in many Asian countries! They do have sun-screen and apres sun products to remove the tan. They also ski, too by the way. This does not apply to Indians, though. They are officially Asian, but I'm not sure what they like to do in India. They may not be beach people there.

Nevertheless, I'm sure rich ppl every where all do the same things, so there may be people who go to the beach and tan etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:09 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerMan View Post
I was just at Dolphin mall and there were lots of asians?
BTW I've noticed the Palm Springs/Country Club area also has alot of asians.

And again outside of the western states (inc. Hawaii), mid-atlantic and for some reason Chicago, the asian population is always around 3%. Florida never really became a hot spot for asian immigrants but Miami does boost its own large Chinese immigrant population. Miami doesn't have a low asian population its just around average.

Metros with largest Asian population-

Honolulu - 46%
San Francisco - 18%
Los Angeles - 10%
Sacramento - 9%
San Diego - 9%
Seattle - 8%
New York - 6%
Baltimore - 5%
Houston - 5%
Las Vegas - 4%
Chicago - 4%
Dallas - 3%

After Dallas its just repetitive 3 and 2%. But just for reference the asian population is larger in numbers down here than in Las Vegas and comparable to Baltimore and Sacramento.

In South Florida percentage wise the areas with highest asian populations are-

Doral - 5%
Ives Estates - 4.6%
Pinecrest - 4.5%
Coral Springs - 4.4%
North Miami Beach - 4%
Cooper City - 4%

In pure numbers other cities like Miami and Pembroke Pines have actual larger numbers. But from what I could figure from these numbers is that the majority or where the biggest concentrations of Asians are in Southwestern Dade, extreme Northesatern Dade and Western Broward
You are comparing specific cities in MiamiDade to entire metro areas. That's not fair. For true comparisons, consider the following:
Honolulu - 55.9%
San Francisco - 31.8%
San Jose - 30.5%
Sacramento - 17.2%
NYC - 11.7%
Miami - 0.8%

Sure there are some suburbs in every metro that are going to have stronger Asian Communities than others. But, if you are going to compare apples and apples, you should at least do so to get the real story. Compare Doral to...say....Cupertino, CA at 44% or even Morrisville, NC at over 9%.

The reality is that Miami's overall Asian population is really, really low. One of my colleagues from CA bought a place in South Beach and laughs how he is the only Asian in SouthBeach when he comes to his vacation home.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:28 AM

483 posts, read 1,544,830 times
I wasn't comparing the two together! I simply put the metros with highest percentage points and to show that besides a handful of metropolitan areas Miamis percentage points is normal. The list of South Florida cities was to show where the majority in South Florida were. Not to show how Doral compares to say Chicago! Thats stupid. I was born and raised in LA and know what a real asian community is, don't really see anyhting funny in a low asian population.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:29 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
asian person don't like sun, it make them look darker.
why do a lot of them live in Cali then?

Old 07-07-2008, 07:36 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Historical reasons. It's the same reason more blacks live in the south than in the north. Trust me, he's right, they don't like the sun.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:25 AM

167 posts, read 199,939 times
Quote:

Same reason that most U.S multinationals have their Asia / Pacific headquarters out of California ... it is much easier to get to Asia from So Cal than it is from Florida ... in fact most flights out of South Florida heading to Asia stop in Los Angeles or San Francisco ...as well historically the largest Asian populations have always settled in California ... remember Northern California and the thousands of Asian workers imported to work on the railroadsin the 1800's .... that said I have been seeing more and more Asian families here in Weston recently as well as Indians ( Hindus ) .

Old 07-07-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Real jobs. :-)

Old 07-07-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerMan View Post
I wasn't comparing the two together! I simply put the metros with highest percentage points and to show that besides a handful of metropolitan areas Miamis percentage points is normal. The list of South Florida cities was to show where the majority in South Florida were. Not to show how Doral compares to say Chicago! Thats stupid. I was born and raised in LA and know what a real asian community is, don't really see anyhting funny in a low asian population.
Okay...to be fair then, let's look at entire MiamiDade County. Per the US Census website, MiamiDade is 1.5% Asian. That's about 1/3 of the US average (4.4%). I'd hardly call that normal. That said, it's fairly normal for Asians to make up a small minority in many places. But, for a large metro area in the US, MiamiDade's 1.5% is really, really low.

Here is a sampling of other large cities/counties that are not on the West Coast to show you what I mean:

Dallas County TX - 4.4%
Houston TX - 5%
Philadelphia PA - 5.3%
Chicago - 4.9%
Hennepin Co (Minneapolis) - 5.5%
Wayne Co (Detroit) - 2.5% (possibly the most desperate place in America)
MiamiDade - 1.5%
Miami (city) - 0.5%

I am not making any subjective analysis here about Asian population in South Florida. I am just trying to objectively point out that the percentage is VERY low in comparison to the rest of the country and certainly to larger cities/metros that tend to be more diverse. No amount of positioning or identifying pockets of more 'average' percentages of Asians will change the truth.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:51 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Hey here's an idea - Maybe they all are communists!

Viva Fidel!

Bahahahaha!!!!

(just kidding - jeez!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami