Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 05:38 AM

12 posts, read 66,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
You are so wrong. Typical neo-political correctness.

The Orient is a region. Asia is a region (which happens to be a continent). If you made a Venn diagram there would be a large overlap as Eastern Asia is part of the Orient but the Orient includes the Philippians and Japan which are not part of the continent of Asia. The Orient does not include Pakistan (or any of the -Stans for that matter). When most of you guys say "Asian" you are really referring to Oriental people. Oriental is an adjective and can refer to people as well as food, rugs, cars or anything else. It means [noun] from the Orient. It is incorrect to refer to Asians when you really mean Orientals. NEVER get the two groups confused because Most Chinese would feel quite upset to be confused with a Pakistani.

We had this discussion already here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/3702732-post10.html
Actually by referring to people of East Asian descent (N/S Korea, Japan, Taiwan, China, etc.) as "orientals," there's a connotation that they're forever foreigners and will never be Americans. But I'll be the first Asian American of Chinese descent to let you know that I am offended when you referred to me as "orientals." Actually, most Asians would be offended, except for the ones who speak very little English and wouldn't know the difference between "spam" and "ham."

You can be more prescise by describing people from East Asia as East Asians.

And I actually don't mind being classified in the same racial group as Pakistanis. They're very educated people.

And to get back on topic. I grew up in South Carolina, went to undergrad in Atlanta, lived in NYC before now in LA (moving to SF soon). I've visited Miami and I love South Beach. But I can't quite answer why I've never had the urge to live there.... Maybe it's that sense of being somewhere special. You get that when you're in San Francisco or NYC... but not necessarily in Miami. And maybe other cities have more intellectualism which generally attracts Asians. I don't mean to sound pretentious if I do, but I don't know how else to state it.

Last edited by samson802; 07-13-2008 at 05:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,635 times
Always a lurker so this is my first post . Regarding the communist remark, I have to say that was the stupidest thing I’ve ever read . I live in Miami and I am Asian. I have an Asian friend who loves going to the beach, but I have to say that it’s true that most Asians avoid the beach or the streets because it’s so sun shine-y (of course, this is the Sunshine State) and humid/hot. I mean, who wants to sweat all over their nice clothes and makeup ? People usually are dying to get back to their ACs. Also, its very weird to see anyone (except for the few groups of people which are mostly Hispanic standing on the street finding work, if you know what I am talking about) on the streets. I’m not talking about downtown since I don’t go there much. In Miami, I see more cars than people on the streets. So, don’t speculate that you don’t see any Asians because you hardly even see Hispanics wandering (I’m not talking about downtown though because I don’t go there much).

There is a small Asian population in Florida, just that you have to look in the right places . Also, I was born in and raised in Miami and the Asians I’ve met tend to move away because:
1. There’s more higher paying job and varieties other cities (eg. NY)
2. The Ivy League schools out of Florida (UF and UM are good schools too)
3. The discrimination mainly from Hispanics that some meet in Miami (I hear a lot of complaints from Asians about this)
4. The school system (elementary-high school) in Miami is not that great
5. Some just want to move to places where there are more Asians.
6. In Miami, you kind of need to learn Spanish (my opinion) and not many are willing to do that…

Etc.

Also, I think Asians tend to want to move to places with more Asians because it’s a safety net kind of thing (my opinion again). For some Asians who newly immigrate to the USA, they want to find someone to speak to and help you if you don’t know much English. It’s kind of the same as to why Hispanics immigrate to Miami (generalizing).

Oh and about the boobs and butts thing, I think small boobs are good. When big/huge boobs sag, it’s not that great looking and it’s better for the back to have a lesser load on the chest. No offense to the ladies out there that were endowed with a big chest though.

This is my 2 cents.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:45 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson802 View Post
Actually by referring to people of East Asian descent (N/S Korea, Japan, Taiwan, China, etc.) as "orientals," there's a connotation that they're forever foreigners and will never be Americans.
Why wouldn't that same logic apply to the terms "Hispanic", "African-American", or any other group? It's like you are assuming that "American" means 'White' by default. To me that seems more incorrect than anything else.

I suppose "East Asian" is an acceptable term, sicne it is more specific than the uselessly broad term "Asian". I still see nothing wrong with saying someone if ffrom the Orient anymore than saying someone is from the Middle-East or someone is from South America.

I still say that if I pointed to two Indian guys across the street and said, "Hey, look at those Asian guys over there" most people's responses would be "Where?".

Old 07-15-2008, 02:03 AM

12 posts, read 66,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Why wouldn't that same logic apply to the terms "Hispanic", "African-American", or any other group? It's like you are assuming that "American" means 'White' by default. To me that seems more incorrect than anything else.

I suppose "East Asian" is an acceptable term, sicne it is more specific than the uselessly broad term "Asian". I still see nothing wrong with saying someone if ffrom the Orient anymore than saying someone is from the Middle-East or someone is from South America.

I still say that if I pointed to two Indian guys across the street and said, "Hey, look at those Asian guys over there" most people's responses would be "Where?".
I agree. In this day and age, we're way past the broad generalization that Americans mean Whites, especially with the current presidential campaign.

I also agree that the term "Asian" covers many ethnicities. However, that does not make it okay to call someone "Oriental." This term is Colonial/Eurocentric, and, back then, they saw the East as backwards, exotic, and patriarchal, while the West was seen as logical and more modern (go google it). So when you use this term, it's like saying we're a lower form of life, which explains why people view this as derogatory.

If you want to be more specific, the other terms are South Asians (Indians, Pakistanis) and Southeast Asians (Thai, Vietnamese, Cambodia). These are probably not colloquially used in Florida, but that is how we describe ourselves, that is, if we want to be more specific than Asian.

I understand where you're coming from completely.... I didn't even know what Bar Mitzvah was until I was 22, and that's because I grew up in an area with no Jews. Given there aren't many Asians in Miami (at least that's what this thread is leading us to believe!!) how could anyone expects you to know all of this? Cheers.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:06 PM
BGF

57 posts, read 203,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane Fan View Post
So right .... I prefer my hot Hispanic babes ... Colombians , Venezuelans , Brazilians .... I like curves !!!

I was on the beach on 5 st ( South Beach ) a few weeks ago watching some Brazilian babes play volleyball ... what a site ... it was magical !!
I know. You are not going to see crap in Boston. At best you get some short shorts and tight jeans.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:52 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,167,631 times
Anyone that believes that Asian women don't have great forms have definitely never seen Southeast & South Asian women.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:22 PM

995 posts, read 3,930,036 times
Being a Korean, I was surprised to see so few Asians in S. Florida when we moved recently.

I can't speak for other Asians, but I have a theory for the lack of Koreans in S.Florida.

There are 3 large groups of Koreans who moved to the states.

1. Students (mostly at the University level)
2. Expatriate employees
3. Immigrants who won green card lotteries in the 70s, 80s.

#1 explains why there are so many Koreans in Boston, NYC (even though it's as far as Florida from Asia)
#2 explains large Korean population in NYC, Chicago, LA, SF, and even Dallas, Atlanta
#3 is tricky because of its long history. But when Koreans immigrated here, they tend to stay together and formed clusters such as Korea towns in LA and NYC.

Unfortunately, S. Florida doesn't suit any of these 3 groups. Most Koreans living in S. Fl are 2nd, 3rd generations or young professionals.

Currently, Korean Air has direct flights to the following 9 U.S. cities (in lower 48 states) from Seoul, Korea: NYC, DC, Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Seattle, SF, LA, Las Vegas. This is where majority of Koreans live.

On the other hand, there are more Koreans in Orlando because it is a big tourist destinations for all Koreans. Before moving to S. Florida, I have lived in Boston, NYC, Chicago and Buffalo. Every Korean that I met there have been to Orlando at least once.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:57 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Simply put the reason why there aren't many Asians in S. FL is because there aren't many Asians in S. FL.

What I mean by that is that Asian American migration trends are fairly simple, like many other ethnic groups, they go where other Asians have already settled or follow their families. Historically Miami/S.Florida has never had many Asians settling there, for that reason it's hard to entice other Asians to mover there. Unlike the major cities in the West and North, Miami and Florida in general had no Asian immigrants moving in from the first wave of Chinese immigrants. That's mostly because most of them either worked the railways in the west or in manufacturing jobs in the major cities up north so that's why those areas have a greater Asian influence. The second wave of immigration came immediately after the Vietnam war ended. Again for some reason not many Asian immigrants settled in S. FL during that wave of immigration. Surprisingly, many did settle in other parts of the state and have established fairly good sized communities in the Orlando and Tampa bay area. That's basically it, because there never have been many Asians in S. FL it's been a hard sell to convince other Asians to move there and now with the housing prices in S.FL they are choosing to settle in places with cheaper housing like TX.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:46 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
If you want to find Asians in Miami, try AsiaFriendFinder.com.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:55 AM

910 posts, read 753,416 times
I agree that in the US it is considered politically incorrect to use the term "oriental." But I have to say that both in the UK and in Spain, which is where I live, "asian" means Indian/Pakistani and "Oriental" to refer to anyone with a yellowish hue (Korea, Japan, China, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami