Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 12:25 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,575,309 times

Advertisements

Location,location,location. Look at where Asia is versus where Cuba and South America are located on a map. The Europeans desire Miami's warm weather and exchange rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 10,650 times
Default East Asian Descendants in Miami

I was born and raised in Miami-Dade county and I'm a cultural anthropology student. I will describe many of the Asian-descendants I've met here, when I say Asia I mean all of Asia including India. There are a couple of Asian-descendants in both Miami-Dade and Broward, but many aren't straight from Asia, many are from the Caribbean and South America. There are Chinese Jamaicans here, Chinese Trinidadians, Chinese Cubans, Indian Jamaicans, Indian Trinidadians and Indian Guyanese people here. All these groups are of Asian origin. After these Asian Caribbean populations you have Asians straight from the continent which are a couple Indians, Chinese, Japanese, and Thais. Many of you have stated that there isn't many Asians in Miami but, if that's the case why is there so many Chinese restaurants? There are Indian restaurants, Japanese restaurants, and Thai restaurants. In addition to restaurants there are Oriental and Indian grocery stores. I think Miami and south FL is a special place because it's one of the only places Asians from the Diaspora can meet with Asians directly from Asia. Here a Trini of Indian descent can meet a person directly from India. Here a Jamaican of Chinese descent can meet people straight from China and Chinese Americans. The city in Miami-Dade I've seen most Asians from the continent is in North Miami Beach and most of the Asian Caribbean persons I've seen have been in south Broward in cities like Miramar and Hollywood. I've also met Chinese Cubans that live in Hialeah and are from Cuba's China Town.

These are the most common cultural groups I've seen in South FL of Asian origin, but I've also ran into others once such as Chinese Peruvians, Japanese Peruvians, Japanese Brasilians and Chinese Colombians.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:27 PM

266 posts, read 1,234,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
Because Asians don't like showing their booties and boobies on beaches.....
There are plenty of booties being shown in California beaches.

The only time I have seen Asians roaming out and about was in cali. Its weird because there are tons of asian restaurants around in miami but yet they you will never seen an asian out on the streets. They magically disappear[/quote]

Perhaps they don't want to get shot on the streets.
We're allergic to bullets,nasty reaction.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:03 PM

266 posts, read 1,234,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Another poster mentioned the reason you don't see any Orientals on the beach. The reason is that they don't want thier skin to get dark. Orientals have the same view of beauty as Americans did half a century ago: White is beautiful. The whiter your skin the more beautiful you are. They sell so many skin whiting products in Japan that many times I see girls over there with skin whiter than mine. When my sister in law came to visit us last summer she was practically a shutin because she didn't want to go out in the sun and have it damage (darken) her skin.
Its true, dark skin is look down upn.Its associated with manual laborers. Anyway, its bad for your skin and people who tan alot tend to age way faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305guy View Post
You eat Oriental food, people are referred to as Asians.
More leftist political bull****. Probably started by small group of Asian American unity groups back in the 70's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson802 View Post
Actually by referring to people of East Asian descent (N/S Korea, Japan, Taiwan, China, etc.) as "orientals," there's a connotation that they're forever foreigners and will never be Americans. But I'll be the first Asian American of Chinese descent to let you know that I am offended when you referred to me as "orientals." Actually, most Asians would be offended, except for the ones who speak very little English and wouldn't know the difference between "spam" and "ham." You can be more prescise by describing people from East Asia as East Asians.
And I actually don't mind being classified in the same racial group as Pakistanis. They're very educated people.
Why would you get offended? I prefer it. "Oriental" means the East. Asia has too many vastly different cultures and ethnicities. What does a Korean American have in common with an Indian American?
Traditionally, say in Engiand, Koreans, Chinese and Japanese were refered to as Orientals. And rest of Asia as Asian,and Indians as Indians I believe.
Its better than saying "East Asian", "South asian","Southeast Asian",etc. Most Americans are geographically challenged,its confusing.
This was contrived all for political reasons back in the 70's by Asian American groups. You old timers who lived through the politcal 70's can attest to that. Perhaps the same thing happened to the term "latino or Hispanic."
We, East Asian descendants shouldn't get offended.
We should prefer it, it narrows it down.

Old 11-27-2008, 02:25 PM

3 posts, read 29,366 times
Well I hope this is not the case. I was planning to move there for a job. Now I guess i'll have to re-think relocating there.

There is a small Asian population in Florida, just that you have to look in the right places . Also, I was born in and raised in Miami and the Asians I’ve met tend to move away because:
1. There’s more higher paying job and varieties other cities (eg. NY)
2. The Ivy League schools out of Florida (UF and UM are good schools too)
3. The discrimination mainly from Hispanics that some meet in Miami (I hear a lot of complaints from Asians about this)
4. The school system (elementary-high school) in Miami is not that great
5. Some just want to move to places where there are more Asians.
6. In Miami, you kind of need to learn Spanish (my opinion) and not many are willing to do that…

Etc.

Also, I think Asians tend to want to move to places with more Asians because it’s a safety net kind of thing (my opinion again). For some Asians who newly immigrate to the USA, they want to find someone to speak to and help you if you don’t know much English. It’s kind of the same as to why Hispanics immigrate to Miami (generalizing).

Old 02-24-2009, 03:43 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Percentage wise FLA may not seem high, but in absolute numbers FLA has one of the highest Asian populations in the US. Sometimes it dosent seem that way though.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:46 PM

61 posts, read 285,978 times
If you are looking for a large Asian population go to New York or Fort Lee, NJ.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:49 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
low wages, high crime, mean streets, hurricanes, 20 ft snakes and alligators.
no real need for highly disciplined highly educationed people with a lot of work ethic, just guessing.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:26 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones123 View Post
If you are looking for a large Asian population go to New York or Fort Lee, NJ.
Atlanta has a HUGE asian population too.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:36 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,530,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
I agree, Bostonian. Very insightful.

I have met asians here in Miami, but they are the really americanized kind.
If you are living on American Soil and taking part in the American Dream, shouldn't you be Americanized?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami