Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2008, 04:44 PM

3 posts, read 44,331 times

Advertisements

Hello all. Well I moved from Miami to NJ about 6 years ago and got ripped off like you see read in the papers. I am looking for a reputable moving company that will do a quote and stick with it. Fully insured, allowed interstate, etc. etc. HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 05:14 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Check the BBB website.. for any movers. I had good luck and made sure I picked a mover who had a good record and belonged to the BBB.
FL has a law that prohibits movers from changing the price once they get you to your destination.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:01 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,248,530 times
Always be wary of deals that are "too good to be true".

Old 06-10-2008, 09:46 AM

551 posts, read 3,122,989 times
I moved from St. Louis to Miami last year and used We Haul Moving (Free Full And Self Service Moving Estimate), who is based out of Fort Lauderdale. They were the cheapest (I paid around $1500 for a full service move) and was very pleased.

This time around, I'm using Smart Moving, Inc., (Home) who is also based out of the Fort Lauderdale/Miami area. Their quote was really cheap ($950 for a full service move from Miami to Chicago), although I can't yet vouch for their service. I dug around online a lot about the company (through the BBB and various message boards) and can't seem to find anything bad about them, although $950 seems awfully cheap. They're registered with the BBB and I couldn't find any reports of scams. From what I can tell though, it just seems like they're a newer company and want to get business.

Good luck and welcome back!

Old 06-10-2008, 09:04 PM

100 posts, read 364,621 times
The following site helped me avoid precisely what happened to you when I left south Florida for greener pastures:

Look here and here.

It's a long list, but the best companies (with comments/recommendations to back up their reputations) are indicated by the 's.

You can also search the forum there, but the list I linked to is a compendium of people's comments for each company.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:15 PM

100 posts, read 364,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Check the BBB website.. for any movers. I had good luck and made sure I picked a mover who had a good record and belonged to the BBB.
FL has a law that prohibits movers from changing the price once they get you to your destination.
If that's true, I doubt it applies to interstate moves. A simple rule of thumb is to ensure that you get a binding estimate. By definition, with a binding estimate, you never pay more than the total estimated charges (unless there are incidental charges at the other end...such as multiple flights of stairs at your destination, a need to store your belongings because of a move-in delay on your end, etc.).

Better yet, try to get a "Not To Exceed" binding estimate (i.e., one in which you pay less than the estimate if the actual weight is less than that estimated).

Also, only go with companies that gladly come to your home and provide you with a walk-through estimate that is based on the weight of your belongings, not on cubic feet.

Illini84 - South Florida is a Mecca for moving scam artists. I never ran across Smart Moving in all my research earlier this year, and that estimate sounds ridiculously cheap. Be careful!

Last edited by d40372; 06-10-2008 at 09:34 PM..

Old 06-11-2008, 05:58 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Ahh you are right about interstate moves..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: