Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 08:26 PM

763 posts, read 3,532,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun&Sea View Post
Wants2GotoFL, a question please: is Brickell Key the same as Brickell? Or there is a "Brickell" neighborhood close to Downtown Miami that is not Brickell Key? Thanks!
Brickell Key is part of the Brickell neighborhood, it's just due east of mainland Brickell. Brickell is everything south of the Miami River, east of Metrorail, and north of the Rickenbacker Causeway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 08:57 PM

12 posts, read 58,869 times
Hi, from what I have learned, Brickell is a neighborhood and Brickell Key is a triangular shaped island within that neighborhood. I drove around Brickell Key and it was super. It is a little private island with all high rises in it. I think you'd like it especially with the safety for your child. If you go to that website, www. brickellkey.com you can see the map and all the condos.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:22 AM

44 posts, read 238,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun&Sea View Post
I have previously posted a similar thread asking the same question about Boca Raton X Fort Lauderdale. Since then we have learned that Ft Lauderdale is not a place to raise kids... Also, we visited Boca Raton last week and thought it was just too far from everything (Miami area). So our two options are now Aventura or Coral Gables.

My husband and I are currently living in South America, had lived in New York City for 10 years.

We have a toddler, so school quality is a high priority, and through this forum we have learned that Private is that way to go.

We like and are used to big cities, and we recently visited Aventura, which my husband thought would be a good option for the big city feel, tall buildings, lots of shopping options, etc.

But I am not so sure Aventura would be good for our toddler... Do you know of any great private school close to Aventura?

I am a NY attorney interested in working with Immigration Law, my husband is a Sport Journalist especialized in American Football (not Soccer). We speak Spanish and Portuguese, but we hate the fact that everybody almost only speaks Spanish in Miami. If we wanted to be in a Spanish speaking place we would stay here in Argentina... Is Coral Gables like that too? Aventura we know it is, sadly.

We have excellent investment income, and would be looking for a 600K to 800K 4/2 house or condo.

We did not visit coral Gables during this last trip, but I know it's a beautiful place and great for kids. But my question is HOW SUBURB is it? we like big city type of places, even if it's not big, like Aventura... But then Coral Gables might be better for kids... We can't decide!

So, which city do you guys think would be the one for us, Coral Gables or Aventura?

THANKS!!
From what you've indicated in this thread, I would go with Coral Gables unless you are looking to pick up a "bargin" property. Aventura has one of the highest number of foreclosures in Miami-Dade right now.

There are several exceptional public schools in Miami-Dade, as well as some top notch magnet schools. Several of Miami-Dade's public and magnet high schools make the nation's Top 100 list every year.

Have you considered Key Biscayne? More than any of the others you or anyone else has mentioned, Key Biscayne is exceptionally family-oriented, has a superb elementary school, has MAST if your children are interested in the sciences for high school, has a brand new civic center with excellent recreational facilities.

If you would like a listing/rating of all of the public/magnet/charter schools in Miami-Dade, email me and I will send it to you.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:58 PM

95 posts, read 452,732 times
Default Thanks, Melanie!

Hey Melanie,

Yes, we have stayed in Key Biscayne during our last trip there, just a month ago. We thought it was really nice, but too slow to get in and out, kind of isolated, few shops close by, etc. But thanks for the tip anyway! We are moving toward a private school close to Coral Gables, if you have any information on that please let me know. Thanks again!

Old 06-25-2008, 08:54 PM

5 posts, read 11,527 times
It all depends on where your jobs are. If your work is based in Aventura then you should get a nice condo with water access and live there. Now if you are going to work downtown or in the Gables , then buy a house down in the Gables. But I would recommend just renting for now because the Hurricane insurance/ Condo HOA fees and Property taxes are crazy expensive!!!

Old 06-29-2008, 10:25 PM

3 posts, read 8,592 times
HI
I moved to Aventura in 1997, I had never been to Miami before, my husband picked the apartment and myself and my baby arrived on the plane from NY the day after Thanksgiving. I've only been back to NY about twice since. I absolutly love it here. I like the Aventura area because you have everything you need for day to day basics in a a few square miles and yet you are halfway between the cultural centers of Miami and Fort Lauderdale. You are midway between all sporting arenas (Mr. Soffer knew what he was doing when he bought the land Aventura is situated upon). You have Miami with the Artsh Center & the Miami Heat to the South, the Miami Dolphins and The Marlins to the East and the Performing Arts Center in Fort Lauderdale and Panther Stadium to the North!! HOWEVER, I would strongly suggest buying (or rent for a year) in the area wherever you think you may be working. If you are working Downtown Miami and the length of your commute is a priority, I would opt for the Coral Gables home (though I feel myself that Coral Gables has gone down this last couple of years - have you thought about Pinecrest or South Miami - they are absolutely beautiful neighborhoods). As to babies and kids. There are lots of great daycare facilities around Aventura. I'm Catholic but my son went to Beth Torah for his first couple of years. If you need help in finding a good school I would be more than happy to help you. Aventura has a wonderful park for kids with a playground and a water park. Not to mention Aventura Mall which is great for rainy days. The beach is practially walking distance (if only it weren't so hot!!). I hope you love living here. I do, there are lots of things to do with kids if you take the time.
As for the Brickell Key/Brickell area. I have a friend who lives in a Condo on Brickell Key, its nice, but to me its too enclosed. Brickell is about a block or two away, its the 'main drag' for commercial offices, but recently there has been a great expansion about a block over from the commercial street and last weekend my husband was there and he said it was absolutly hopping.
Good luck with your decision.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:14 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
You don't have to commit, rent. You cannot imagine that one "little" thing that's "bad" if you buy prematurely will doom you to years of regret. The days of quickly selling to move are well behind us now. I flew down here almost weekly for 6 months and still am not in my "permanent" choice. Although you are lucky because you know pretty much exactly where you want to be.

No reason for that, rent a beautiful luxury (to you) place and take your time. Pick the one that turns you on for the rental, you only do that once in a lifetime per city so why not. there are tremendous bargains for rentals in FL and I assume it's the same in Miami. Drive the drives in all different hours. Mimic what your life might be and speak to people everywhere. Visit the grocery stores if you cook. (not kidding either LOL, an unheard of requirement up North), MEET PARENTS before you commit. To me that's the key point. It's no fun for kids having limited friend pools and it's not real fun driving them every day because there are NO KIDS at all in "the neighborhood" It may be that way completely down there, I really don't know about Dade.

If you know where you'll be working it's the major thing IMO. (sounds like not yet). Do you want to pick your job based off of your home base or pick your home based on your commute? tricky....If you are targeting Immigration Law wouldn't you want to evaluate the market and needs and areas where you'd potentially be working first before buying somewhere? Fl licensed to practice? etc Assuming there will be no daycare requirement for this toddler at this point, so that's not really an issue when you come back and you'll have plenty of time to look for a home, neighborhood and school. It's a funny thing, the school too can seem perfect until you get in there or your child comes up with something that requires a different environment. Also this forum is excellent for tips and insight but not knowing people is a drawback. Example the Jewish comment thing. Which is a valid concern. Sorta like moving to a golf community and you don't play golf lol. The same question can be answered totally differently on here. So it's really subjective. But I found alot of helpful tips here just the passing mention of something that was right on target and unexpected (not just about housing),

The funny thing is, IME, in a move to a new area even with planning, you can think you know exactly what you want until you see something that is different and you love it and that's it. LOL

Last edited by runswithscissors; 06-30-2008 at 06:22 AM..

Old 06-30-2008, 12:16 PM

Thank you, Guys, for your great tips!!

Regarding work: we will move first and then look for a job. There are many law firms in downtown Miami and in Ft Lauderdale, so both locations, Gables and Aventura would be OK. Or do you think from Aventura to Ft Lauderdale is a bad commute?
My husband is a sports journalist and usually work from home, but we will see...

Immigration Law is Federal law, so I can practice it in any state with my NY licence.

We would like to buy because prices are so low now, and people are saying they will get even lower next year, when we are planning to close the deal. We think it's a good opportunity to buy. Plus we don't want to have to move twice, first to a rental place and then to our own...

We know insurance and taxes are high, and they always will be in Florida, that's the price to live there, and we are willing to pay.

Thanks again!

Old 06-30-2008, 12:20 PM

Ginasusie, thanks for you great reply!! We are still excited about Aventura!! We have looking at some houses on the internet at Aventura Lakes, it's so beautiful!!

Now, a question, please: why do you say Coral Gables has gone down? Would you tell me any details? Thanks!!

Old 07-01-2008, 10:53 PM

12 posts, read 32,462 times
If you are used to being central like in NYC, then Coral Gables, Key Biscayne,Brickell,Kendall is the way to go. Aventura is Broward county for all intents and purposes, far removed IMO from the Miami that I know and love. Aventura was developed in the late 70's, when Miami was not the "cool" place to live anymore, and everyone regarded Broward county as the up and coming place to move to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami