Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 11:21 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,608,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieMirsade View Post

If a poorer nation like Turkey, can embark on a plan to build a brand new HIGH-SPEED (http://http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/english/domestic/11167611.asp - broken link) train network....criss-crossing the country...connecting the Mid East & Europe....
There's no way...the US should be behind.
It is much cheaper to "do" - much less build - things in developing countries like Turkey.

Note: there are no unions in Turkey. In this country, unions raise the cost of every public works project so much that they become unfeasable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 05:54 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,358,705 times
Quote:
Well, that's what I don't understand!
Why isn't Obama talking more about science & math education, innovation..more? (College education can be in anything. It's such a generic term.) I know they're not America's favourite subjects but that's where "brains" develop.

If anyone could "sell fridges to the Eskimos", it's Obama! He really should be doing more to make science, math & technology....seem "cool". If Americans can elect a Black man...I'm sure they can learn to like math & science!

Universities are full of foreign phd students, and many of them will very likely end up in the same countries that are attracting US $$$ capital.
On top of that....you've massive technological spying going on...under guise of "scholarship"

Regarding the city vs suburbs debate...I think it isn't necessarily "in with the new....out with the old'.
There's gonna be a viable "bridge" between the two...and that will be the public transportation system. Suburbs will not be deserted. They just won't have any more space to grow. Low density is out. High's in! (Sorry Cuba Libre...but even Romans lived in tight quarters).

If a poorer nation like Turkey, can embark on a plan to build a brand new HIGH-SPEED (http://http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/english/domestic/11167611.asp - broken link) train network....criss-crossing the country...connecting the Mid East & Europe....
There's no way...the US should be behind.
From what I am seeing right now, a lot of the western suburbs in South Florida are starting to except section 8. This includes rental communities and people who could not sell their homes. My friend who is a real estate agent has actually been pushing his clients to do this. What do you think is going to happen as that increases? There is going to be a reversal (in demographics).

I think long run (once prices go WAY down) condos in downtown Miami will be fine. Well this is also dependent upon them passing laws governing HOA rules and how banks interact with them. I wouldn't mind owning a condo IF the rules and regulations governed them were far more sound than they are now.

doggiebus do you see what I did there?

Old 07-16-2009, 06:03 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,057,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post

I think long run (once prices go WAY down) condos in downtown Miami will be fine. Well this is also dependent upon them passing laws governing HOA rules and how banks interact with them. I wouldn't mind owning a condo IF the rules and regulations governed them were far more sound than they are now.
How long is your "long run"?

Old 07-16-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitazz View Post
How long is your "long run"?
6 yrs to 10 yrs BUT that depends on what the city, state or federal governments do about these condo laws and the things these HOAs can do. They also need to change bank obligations toward the HOA. I think too they need to restructure how water and other services is provided and paid for at these places. They have a LOT to clean up, but if they do I think the out come will be good.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:56 PM

348 posts, read 638,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
It is much cheaper to "do" - much less build - things in developing countries like Turkey.

Note: there are no unions in Turkey. In this country, unions raise the cost of every public works project so much that they become unfeasable.
No offense Cuba...but you really have a radically right-wing and anti-social mindset. You don't need no city, no country nor community....just a piece of land.....and your own world. Although I can really appreciate the virtues you cherish....there's just too many people in this world, making your ideas obsolete. Your "vision" is noble, but myopic.

When I look at things, I like to look beyond the populist rhetoric and quasi-intellectual BS...ignore "ideologies"' and be commonsensical, practical, constructive, realistic.

I just find it really distasteful that you only mention the Unions as a "problem"....and forget the corrupt businessmen and their "boys" in government. On top of that....you've so many complicated layers of business, government....so many lobbies and interest groups (for & against every public project)...that complicate everything.("Tree huggers" can be a huge obstacle...but at least they don't steal $$$. They don't usually have access to $$ and power).

Let's put it this way, if Bush had been as authoritarian, dishonest, sneaky and aggressive, about creating the most modern public transit system in the United States....as he was about the war in Iraq....the US would now have the most modern public transit system in the world. It's that simple.
Instead of a war on Iraq....he could have waged a domestic "war" on oil dependency. At least the money (and lives) wouldn't have been wasted.

Oh yeah....the Turks could have easily found a very good pretext to get VERY involved in Iraq and the Israel-Palestine cuaqmire, but they wisely ABSTAINED. They're investing the $$ in the new high-speed railways.

Going back to the "Condo Nighmare"....yeah....a lot of people (including myself) are sitting and watching how things unfold.
For me personally, Miami has an ideally location, and I trully regret not having moved there earlier.
There's no doubt that Miami has to invest more in public transportation....especially with all those empty condos that have to be filled up. It's also gonna need parks, community centres, better schools...etc.
I don't think that any of that is impossible.

I personally see a lot of opportunity in Miami.
Anyone who wants to analyze its potential in depth should read Richard Florida: "Miami is a unique place. Rob Lang and Mark Munro have a remarkable short piece on Las Vegas, which I’ll post soon which see it as a center of business connectivity. Miami is partly the same. Leveraging tourism into business and in Miami’s case art and food and design connectivity. That said, real estate prices there were blown way out of proportion. Looking at the Case Shiller Index, Miami ranks behind only NY, LA and DC in terms of appreciation over its 2000 base. Yes, it’s fallen 30 or so percent. It has another 30 percent more yet to fall. The question for Miami as for Las Vegas is can its underlying, emerging role as a center for tourism and connectivity, as well as Latin American finance, overcome the damage done by its over-bloated real estate economy."

Last edited by SadieMirsade; 07-16-2009 at 09:08 PM..

Old 07-16-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
No offense Cuba...but you really have a radically right-wing and anti-social mindset. You don't need no city, no country nor community....just a piece of land.....and your own world. Although I can really appreciate the virtues you cherish....there's just too many people in this world, making your ideas obsolete. Your "vision" is noble, but myopic.

When I look at things, I like to look beyond the populist rhetoric and quasi-intellectual BS...ignore "ideologies"' and be commonsensical, practical, constructive, realistic.

I just find it really distasteful that you only mention the Unions as a "problem"....and forget the corrupt businessmen and their "boys" in government. On top of that....you've so many complicated layers of business, government....so many lobbies and interest groups (for & against every public project)...that complicate everything.("Tree huggers" can be a huge obstacle...but at least they don't steal $$$. They don't usually have access to $$ and power).

Let's put it this way, if Bush had been as authoritarian, dishonest, sneaky and aggressive, about creating the most modern public transit system in the United States....as he was about the war in Iraq....the US would now have the most modern public transit system in the world. It's that simple.
Instead of a war on Iraq....he could have waged a domestic "war" on oil dependency. At least the money (and lives) wouldn't have been wasted.

Oh yeah....the Turks could have easily found a very good pretext to get VERY involved in Iraq and the Israel-Palestine cuaqmire, but they wisely ABSTAINED. They're investing the $$ in the new high-speed railways.

Going back to the "Condo Nighmare"....yeah....a lot of people (including myself) are sitting and watching how things unfold.
For me personally, Miami has an ideally location, and I trully regret not having moved there earlier.
There's no doubt that Miami has to invest more in public transportation....especially with all those empty condos that have to be filled up. It's also gonna need parks, community centres, better schools...etc.
I don't think that any of that is impossible.

I personally see a lot of opportunity in Miami.
Anyone who wants to analyze its potential in depth should read Richard Florida: "Miami is a unique place. Rob Lang and Mark Munro have a remarkable short piece on Las Vegas, which I’ll post soon which see it as a center of business connectivity. Miami is partly the same. Leveraging tourism into business and in Miami’s case art and food and design connectivity. That said, real estate prices there were blown way out of proportion. Looking at the Case Shiller Index, Miami ranks behind only NY, LA and DC in terms of appreciation over its 2000 base. Yes, it’s fallen 30 or so percent. It has another 30 percent more yet to fall. The question for Miami as for Las Vegas is can its underlying, emerging role as a center for tourism and connectivity, as well as Latin American finance, overcome the damage done by its over-bloated real estate economy."
Miami already has its number one industry as tourism, that doesn't work. IF they cannot come up with meaningful and productive industries not based on Service based and faux wealth industries like Finance, Insurance, and Real Estate/Entertainment. It is toast. It cannot compete with the arts as you have major centers, which eclipse it such as NYC, parts of Cali, DC and Chicago. Food, while cool does not come close to the other major cities? Miami was never anything to write home about until this faux wealth producing real estate boom. They need to transform into something else, gain meaningful with a productive capacity. I think Miami has the potential but it will take a new political mindset to steer it where it needs to go. I am really pulling for Miami because I see the potential, I really do.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:38 PM

348 posts, read 638,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Miami already has its number one industry as tourism, that doesn't work. IF they cannot come up with meaningful and productive industries not based on Service based and faux wealth industries like Finance, Insurance, and Real Estate/Entertainment. It is toast. It cannot compete with the arts as you have major centers, which eclipse it such as NYC, parts of Cali, DC and Chicago. Food, while cool does not come close to the other major cities? Miami was never anything to write home about until this faux wealth producing real estate boom. They need to transform into something else, gain meaningful with a productive capacity. I think Miami has the potential but it will take a new political mindset to steer it where it needs to go. I am really pulling for Miami because I see the potential, I really do.
May be the industry of the tourism industry...could become the industry....(as Latin America's tourism & economies grow, as Cuba opens up).
I don't see why everyplace in the US has to be "producing". Finance & Insurance are very legitimate and lucrative activites. Look at the UK, Singapore.
We're looking at a hemispheric future...and Miami could be the American (and Americas') equivalent of Singapore....not only in business, finance.....but also culture, arts. Here...I'm not referring to Americans' anglo-centric culture and arts...but culture and arts of all the Americas. That's a new horizon.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
May be the industry of the tourism industry...could become the industry....(as Latin America's tourism & economies grow, as Cuba opens up).
I don't see why everyplace in the US has to be "producing". Finance & Insurance are very legitimate and lucrative activites. Look at the UK, Singapore.
We're looking at a hemispheric future...and Miami could be the American (and Americas') equivalent of Singapore....not only in business, finance.....but also culture, arts. Here...I'm not referring to to the anglo-centric culture and arts...but culture and arts of all the Americas. That's a new horizon.
UK is just as bad as America is right now economically. Can not speak to Singapore as I have not done any research on them. As for why a place needs to produce. Think of it in terms of your household. How can you pay for anything if you are not producing (in relation to yourself it would be going to work and producing something for you boss.) get my meaning? Since Miami began it has has been a tourism based place and every downturn it tanks hard. It needs more than that, it needs something substantial. As for finance, it doesn't produce anything other than paper millionaires. NYC learned that the hard way in the 80s/90s and they took extra care to diversify. They diversified away from finance because they knew it alone can not carry a city and the same goes for tourism (Mayor Bloombergs words, not mine). Miami can be great, but it needs more none service based industry.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:03 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,369 times
I think Miami needs to look towards the affordable housing market in terms of condominiums,such as the Lofts 12@3 in downtown as they are more in the price range of the locals. This city does not need the Luxury type for they will be flipped for profit or only lived in once in awhile as it will be used as a second dwelling and dark most of the time.

Miami needs to build up and not out as the the supply of land is dwindling and its borders are being pushed to the west infringing more on the Everglades.This is the only way for Miami as its parameters are limited.

Miami is a beautiful and great city,sure it has it's problems and maybe it is lacking in industries,but this city is a haven for northerners and Latin Americans. This city is as good as any big city out there and will continue to grow even through hard times,this is a young city and it will make its mistakes,but hopefully will learn from them.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:23 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,168 times
Quote:
We're looking at a hemispheric future...and Miami could be the American (and Americas') equivalent of Singapore....not only in business, finance.....but also culture, arts. Here...I'm not referring to Americans' anglo-centric culture and arts...but culture and arts of all the Americas. That's a new horizon.
---------

Agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami