Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,029 times

Advertisements

hey, my dad remembers the place youre talking about. In the 80s he used to sneak into it too. Everything you've said matches what he said about it except he claims it used to be a mental ward. When I was like 10, Im 18 now I had heard of the "indian hammocks asylum" being demolished. If you know the exact address to the place you think you can send it and i'd gladly go check it out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 10:18 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
It is at SW 107 ave between Sunset and Kendall. Once you go south on 107 from Sunset it is south of the next road afer the traffic light. Interestingly, where that traffic light is was a property of several radio towers and I had gone into the old radio building in 1987 when it too was abandoned. That has been replaced by apartments.

Google Maps

Old 07-12-2011, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,945 times
My father was born in Edgewater Hospital in 1938. He was born of a teenaged unwed mother and was put up for adoption. Could this hospital have specialized in births of this type? Unwed mothers?

Old 07-12-2011, 08:30 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Someone mentioned the place in a thread that got no response:

//www.city-data.com/forum/18209445-post1.html

I also found information that it was called Kendall Hospital and was part of JMH until the late 1960's

History of the Program

This also mentions the hospital, just put KENDALL int he search window to highlight it

http://www.aafpfoundation.org/online...CARMICHAEL.pdf

Is this one of the same place?

Old 07-13-2011, 08:05 AM

It has to be the same place. I was told by a friend's mother who grew up in Dade county about Kendall hospital. The details about the road from 117 ave (still there) fit the area perfectly. The old Haven center is still there, as one story buildings with small, mental hospital window panes. The new school buildings are just adjacent to it. The road that used to go to the old hospital was cut off when the dump was opened ( 1970's) but a small piece of it remains by the remaning decaying building. The cemetery for the indigent is closer to 117 ave and unmarked. I was told that the present day 107 ave had a canal in the middle, but have not been able to verify it.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,890 times
Are there any birth records from Edgewater? Looking for twins born in 1938.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:54 AM

399 posts, read 719,284 times
Wow, this is all very interesting. I never knew there was an old hospital between Sunset and Kendall Drive. I imagine this is somewhere behind the newer apartments. There is an area there that is over grown with bush..maybe this place is in there somewhere. The only old hospital I know is Golden Glades that still stands there abandoned.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:09 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,744,527 times
What is it with us forty to fifty year olds that snuck into these places? I snuck into that place because it was in my area, I also snuck into biltmore... Back in the 80's the goal was to go to the tower and do flash light as a dare. Talk about the most scary experience EVER!!!

i think we even did the coconut grove church the one that we all called the monk's church which now is super rich church.

But in those times we didn't vandalize it was just a dare or adventure. Does anyone remember putting detergent in the coral gables fountain?

Old 04-09-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
What is it with us forty to fifty year olds that snuck into these places? I snuck into that place because it was in my area, I also snuck into biltmore... Back in the 80's the goal was to go to the tower and do flash light as a dare. Talk about the most scary experience EVER!!!

i think we even did the coconut grove church the one that we all called the monk's church which now is super rich church.

But in those times we didn't vandalize it was just a dare or adventure. Does anyone remember putting detergent in the coral gables fountain?
Yes we also did that in the fake waterfalls at Flagler near 87 avenue. Soapy suds and green food coloring. Also did that at Miami-Dade Junior college south. The Biltmore was also fun to explore by skateboard.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,190 times
I was born at Edgewater Hospital in 1947, my doctor was T.E. Cato, M.D.. I needed a Certified copy of my Birth Certificate and the person I talked to in Miami told me there never was a Edgewater Hospital, however after finding my name, he apologized and gave me my Certified copy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami