Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 02:50 PM

710 posts, read 2,233,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSJP View Post
This is garbage. Why can't they re-evaluate the rule to fit with a child's mental capacity vs their birthdate.
I don't doubt your child is "gifted" but you know every parent thinks their kid is gifted. They would have to test EVERY kid with a summer birthday.

Why don't you just look into private school? We had to for very similar reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 01:01 PM

3 posts, read 13,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
I don't doubt your child is "gifted" but you know every parent thinks their kid is gifted. They would have to test EVERY kid with a summer birthday.

Why don't you just look into private school? We had to for very similar reasons.

Okay, I know that many parents say their children are 'gifted', but if you read my post accurately, I DID NOT SAY MY CHILD IS GIFTED. I said that she is more advanced than the smaller children that are in her class. She is at the same level of the children that are currently in VPK.
There are 3 other children in her class, with September birthdays and their parents are going through the same thing.

When she moves up, I know TEACHERS will tell ME that she is gifted, I've been through this same thing, and my parents chose to hold me back, because by then, I was already established with my peers. I have 2 kids and I can honestly say that my second child is far more behind than my daughter and also has a late birthday. I recognize what my kids can and cannot do. I do not feel that I should have to pay for private school just because the State Law is flawed. Exceptions should be able to be made. I also do not feel that there would be a need to test all students with summer birthdays, just those that parents and teachers feel should progress to the next level. There can even be a fee for this, if there has to be.

To just draw a line, based on a child's birthdate and not look at everything else in between is extremely unreasonable.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:17 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,700,078 times
VPK is free, you will have to call the school's and see if they do Pre-K anymore. Here in Tampa, they don't so you have to get a voucher from the state and then take them to a daycare that does VPK.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:04 PM

94 posts, read 482,134 times
from what i know some children in daycares can take the classes at that age...call local daycares that will help you out tons, especially if the daycare is good and can sit there and explain it to you.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,786 times
I am with you MrsSJP. Obviously it would depend on the child. But my 2 y/o, with an IQ of over 130, in two years will have to sit in a class with children whose parents don't value education and seem disinterested in learning because they haven't been given the proper "head start" at home is asinine. The fact that I can't afford to pay for private day care where he would be exempt from state law should not hold him to lower expectations. At two he's ready for four year old expectations and he should be held to his individuality within the system, accordingly. They most definitely SHOULD have a test for the child who is an exception to their peers. And they do. You can get testing done privately or go to your local school district. Their is an assessment for children who will miss the cutoff but they don't advertise it. You must be very adament in pursuing this option because it does exist. People who think CHALLENGING their children academically is wrong need to wake up. GOOD LUCK! And much success to your child!

Old 10-08-2011, 12:39 PM

629 posts, read 1,721,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keishlsth View Post
....my 2 y/o, with an IQ of over 130...
....he should be held to his individuality within the system, accordingly....
....Their is an assessment.....
....You must be very adament....
Apples, trees, falling far from.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,419 times
VPK is fee and even if your child is gifted he/she have to be four years old, before or on september 1st. to be in the program.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:15 PM

515 posts, read 624,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousone_c View Post
VPK is fee and even if your child is gifted he/she have to be four years old, before or on september 1st. to be in the program.
Excellent advice to the OP who asked for this 5 years ago. Hope she isn't still waiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: