Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 09:39 PM

34 posts, read 28,970 times

Advertisements

i guess b/c miami is the only city in america that is "unamerican", therfore international, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 11:13 PM

763 posts, read 3,531,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. SlowFlow View Post
"New York is #1 in banking and garment industry where Miami is #2."

miami may be number 2 in garment but def not banking. charlotte would win that battle easily.
Miami has the largest concentration of foreign banks in the U.S. (mostly in Brickell) and it's also the financial capital of Latin America. Miami's very big financially.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:06 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,029,725 times
Look at it this way-when the Jets play the Dolphins in Miami, it's a home game for both teams.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:05 AM

190 posts, read 814,039 times
No.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:27 AM

57 posts, read 187,896 times
I would say that the traffic in Miami could be worse than NYC traffic. I remember it took me an hour to get to Yankee Stadium from South Street Sea Port (Pier 17) during NYC rush hour on the FDR Drive. Also when I lived in Cooper City (Embassy Lakes) it took me about an hour and a half to travel 25-30 miles to the Jackson Memorial Hospital DCFCU branch back in 03. I just hope that since I will be living in Kendall, I will find a job that won't take me over an hour to get too, though that could be wishful thinking. I don't mind leaving around 7am to be at work at 8:30, though.....

Old 07-23-2008, 09:41 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,338,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
I was in miami last spring and i noticed the the people in miami are a lot like new yorkers. Is this true? my cousin is thinking of moving to south florida but doesn't want to deal with tension with rude drivers, impatient people etc.

I lived in PA but went to NY alot and NO the standards in NY are way higher than Miami .NY is friendlier and no Mayor ,assembly person etc has a job forever unless they earn it .
Good points in Miami is weather -awesome beach,nature and not crowded at all . Though ofcourse NY suburbs are not crowded either and some way less than here.

You can get by without Spanish here but IMO its not easy . I was mailing a box this am for work a guy in front of me wanted to insure his package for $2,000 .
The post office teller didnt know enough English to understand him she only repeated NO lol. I translated for both but Miami is a different world.

It could be great with NY standards and NY voters who vote out any incumbent if they suck . So have your cousin move here and bring friends again Miami as a whole way more space and does have good points .

Old 07-23-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
Miami has the largest concentration of foreign banks in the U.S. (mostly in Brickell) and it's also the financial capital of Latin America. Miami's very big financially.

Yep I didnt know that till I moved here the folks with money in Latin America including politicians dont trust the banks and GVMT there so they put it here.
Same way some politicians here put it in Caiman island but that for a different reason lol

Old 07-24-2008, 08:28 PM

107 posts, read 367,026 times
Miami and NYC are similar. They are both cities that don't really belong in the USA. They eschew all American traditions and march to their own drumbeat. They really are foreign cities, trapped within the borders of the USA.

On the surface they seem very different, but I think deep down they are the same. I've lived in both, but I've also lived in various other places. You have to compare them to the rest of the USA to see that they are the same.

Also there is a lot of cross-pollination between the two, as previous posters have pointed out.

BTW, I also think Florida's gulf coast emulates the Midwest (Mich, Ohio, etc). But Florida's Atlantic coast (Dade, Broward, PBC) definitely emulates the Northeast (NY, Mass, etc).

Old 07-25-2008, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
Miami and NYC are similar. They are both cities that don't really belong in the USA. They eschew all American traditions and march to their own drumbeat. They really are foreign cities, trapped within the borders of the USA.

On the surface they seem very different, but I think deep down they are the same. I've lived in both, but I've also lived in various other places. You have to compare them to the rest of the USA to see that they are the same.

Also there is a lot of cross-pollination between the two, as previous posters have pointed out.

BTW, I also think Florida's gulf coast emulates the Midwest (Mich, Ohio, etc). But Florida's Atlantic coast (Dade, Broward, PBC) definitely emulates the Northeast (NY, Mass, etc).

Great post. Which do you prefer Miami or NY as far as when you lived there?

Old 07-27-2008, 01:04 AM

2 posts, read 6,776 times
Huh? I can't think of two cities more diametrically opposite one another than Miami and New York. C'mon now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami