Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 01:49 AM

107 posts, read 367,100 times

Advertisements

Luiso, I really love both. They are the only two places worth living in this country IMHO. So I'm not sure which is better. Maybe it depends on where you are in your life. NYC is great when you are young (25-35) because it has great career opportunities and also great dating opportunities. I lived there age 29-34 and had the time of my life. Miami is better for me now though. Palm trees and weather are more important to me now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 06:51 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual instinct View Post
Huh? I can't think of two cities more diametrically opposite one another than Miami and New York. C'mon now.
^^

Yep, pretty much. I am from NYC born and raised. I live in S. Florida now and I assure you, miami is as close to NYC is as a BMW is to a VW Rabbit. A more common sense comparison is NYC/Chicago or NYC/Boston or something. Miami has big buildings downtown. I guess someone not used to being in real cities could mistake that for being the same, but thats about it.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:38 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,574,394 times
New York has a gritty look to it once you get out of Manhattan,it is very dirty looking in appearance ,whereas Miami the downtown is bright as it has been white-washed and Biscayne Bay with the beautiful waters and palm trees and beautiful mansions it makes the Hudson River look like a cesspool,so yes in this regard Miami is not like New York.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:06 PM

655 posts, read 2,182,973 times
In terms of people, I can definitely see how one would think that New York and Miami are alike. There's this pervading no-nonsense attitude, and while some call it rude, it's really just people who are driven. And, outspoken. Which is where a lot of people find fault.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:25 AM

107 posts, read 367,100 times
Yes, I agree with gv0928. Let me expand on it further:

In NYC, if someone is being nice to you it usually means they want something from you. The city is filled with con-artists and sociopaths and generally just people trying to get ahead at others expense. So everyone there develops this sorta vigilance and hard-shell exterior and get-out-of-my-way attitude.

Miami is the exact same.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:32 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,339,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
Luiso, I really love both. They are the only two places worth living in this country IMHO. So I'm not sure which is better. Maybe it depends on where you are in your life. NYC is great when you are young (25-35) because it has great career opportunities and also great dating opportunities. I lived there age 29-34 and had the time of my life. Miami is better for me now though. Palm trees and weather are more important to me now.

Thanks I have been in NY but briefly as am from PA but have been in Miami for 2 yrs its okay could be better with better people in charge but yes I love the weather

Old 07-28-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
Yes, I agree with gv0928. Let me expand on it further:

In NYC, if someone is being nice to you it usually means they want something from you. The city is filled with con-artists and sociopaths and generally just people trying to get ahead at others expense. So everyone there develops this sorta vigilance and hard-shell exterior and get-out-of-my-way attitude.

Miami is the exact same.
yeah clearly not from NYC and this statement shows that through and through.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:15 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,574,394 times
You better move in New York City when you are driving your car or a cab will run in to you tey don't have dents for nothing. I experienced that when driving on Park Avenue in Manhattan they probably noticed my Florida tags and were giving me a warm greeting to the city. In Miami it is more on the Interstates and expressways that traffic gets hectic and fast whereas in New York you have toll booths after toll booths to keep traffic at a minimum.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
You better move in New York City when you are driving your car or a cab will run in to you tey don't have dents for nothing. I experienced that when driving on Park Avenue in Manhattan they probably noticed my Florida tags and were giving me a warm greeting to the city. In Miami it is more on the Interstates and expressways that traffic gets hectic and fast whereas in New York you have toll booths after toll booths to keep traffic at a minimum.
I think tax and limo drivers are nuts. I don't think many of them have made the transition from their home country to America yet. Last time I was in NYC I had a russian pick me up from the Airport. That was the scariest ish I have EVER experienced. He treated the lane divider like it was its own little special lane he could drive in. One time he slamed on the breaks and me and all my stuff went flying to the floor. Was about to two piece his dumb @ss but figured, meh i am almost there.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:13 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Haha when I took a cab home from the airport in FL when I got back from NY (yeah I know, I know, not the same), I got this black guy from NY and we started talking about how things are so much different up there, about the attitude, about the way of life, about the crazy cab drivers (LOL), basically everything. Question answered.

Oh yeah, never take a cab from either airport in NYC unless you want that kind of experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami