Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2008, 06:24 PM

385 posts, read 1,891,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
Not to mention, even though there may be a lot of Spanish speakers in Miami, every single part of Miami has good infrastructure, running water, electricity, parks, 4th-largest school system (with some of our country's top magnet schools), world-class hospitals in every area (which brings in a lot of research money), a highway system that serves every corner of Miami, a bustling port and airport that brings in huge money, not to mention Miami has a huge financial and health backbone that employs big bucks.
good infrastructure? people from liberty city where protesting because their apartments where falling apart and where literally infested with roaches. also, not everyone has electricity or water, this is a very large assumption. the school system that you mentioned was just cut by hundreds of millions of dollars (i believe law enforcement got a cut too). world class hospitals? i had appendicitis and they wanted me to wait 10 hours to even SEE a doctor.

i do not mean to offend you but you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 07:21 PM

763 posts, read 3,532,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackklight View Post
good infrastructure? people from liberty city where protesting because their apartments where falling apart and where literally infested with roaches. also, not everyone has electricity or water, this is a very large assumption. the school system that you mentioned was just cut by hundreds of millions of dollars (i believe law enforcement got a cut too). world class hospitals? i had appendicitis and they wanted me to wait 10 hours to even SEE a doctor.

i do not mean to offend you but you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
In a third world country, you wouldn't even have access to hospitals one or paved roads. Secondly, a lot of Miami's hospitals are ranked amongst our country's best. Thirdly, crumbling apartments is the fault of the people who inhabit them. Subsidized housing should be taken care of by its tenants, and they don't take care of them. Not to mention, every couple of years, new projects are built- something you would not get in a third world country.

Anyways, it's pointless to explain why Miami isn't third world, because it clearly isn't. Saying Miami is third world, is saying the U.S. is third world, and last time I checked, we're not.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:25 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Your may be right, but neither one of those examples are infrastructure. Infrastructure is roads, water supply, power supply, sewers, basically all technical structures. Generally things like hospitals and public housing aren't considered infrastructure even though the latter and sometimes the former is government subsidized.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:29 PM

385 posts, read 1,891,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
In a third world country, you wouldn't even have access to hospitals one or paved roads. Secondly, a lot of Miami's hospitals are ranked amongst our country's best. Thirdly, crumbling apartments is the fault of the people who inhabit them. Subsidized housing should be taken care of by its tenants, and they don't take care of them. Not to mention, every couple of years, new projects are built- something you would not get in a third world country.

Anyways, it's pointless to explain why Miami isn't third world, because it clearly isn't. Saying Miami is third world, is saying the U.S. is third world, and last time I checked, we're not.
you wouldn't have access to paved roads in third world countries? really? i'm sure a majority of this forum would consider dominican republic a third world country but guess what? they have both hospitals and paved roads and oh, electricity and running water too. however, go down some areas in overtown or homestead and i'm sure you'll find some banged up street that is barely functional. does this make us third world? no, but we are in pretty bad shape.

also can you tell me which miami hospital is ranked amongst the nations best? i typed it "usa top hospitals" on google and out of the top 19 it gave me, none of them where in florida.

Best Hospitals Honor Roll - US News and World Report

my mistake compelled to reply, i thought infrastructure meant buildings.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:28 AM

68 posts, read 226,980 times
Hospitals: Cleveland Clinic has a branch in Weston. It's is supposed to be just as good as the original. Cleveland Rocks YEAH!

Old 08-18-2008, 12:09 PM

378 posts, read 1,442,133 times
Quote:

That maybe true but those problems doesn't mean Miami has bad infrastructure. The apartment deal doesn't have anything to do with the cities infrastructure unless they are city owned public housing, and the roaches are common in humid areas and being in a tropical climate they are everywhere.

The electricity/water problem is simple debt. People may not have water or electricity but it's only cause they couldn't afford to pay the bill so the city cut them off. Now that still sucks but it's not third world it's called being broke. It's not close to being in a 3rd world country where there are no sewage systems or water systems that would give them clean water. Cause here if you can't afford the bill you can always pay it when you get the money sometime later and get the water later on.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:27 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
You also need to realize that there are places in Miami-Dade county without paved roads, sewers, high-speed internet and are not that far from developed areas. Just go down Krome ave, I have two friends who live in places like that. It looks and feels like the third world but is priced higher than the stratosphere. For a true "third world" experience just check out the fish camps by Krome and US-27. That's as close to it as you can get. The problem is that the Miami area is such a bad value for the money, and plagued with an endless stream of migrants from worse places.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:13 PM

483 posts, read 1,544,591 times
Quote:

You can find urban decay in every single American city. And if anybody doesnt have water or electricity its because they cant pay and thats the case with any inner city poor area. Public Schools are bad, these budget cuts are happening all over the state becasue the voters decided to and Dade got the worst of it because its the largest in the state. But in reality public schools can be classified bad in just about everywhere, with very few brightspots, its a sad situation in america, its not a Miami issue, Miami isnt even ranked worst since so much of you love these rank lists.
And I have no idea if you ever get out but the hospitals wait time is another huge issue in this country, lots of people have died because of long wait times. Jackson has been ranked high in many catagories is a major hopsptal in this country, and plenty of different hospitals around the area have high ranks in certian catagories, if you classify Miami hospitals bad then you my friend have no idea what you are talking about.

Quote:
you wouldn't have access to paved roads in third world countries? really? i'm sure a majority of this forum would consider dominican republic a third world country but guess what? they have both hospitals and paved roads and oh, electricity and running water too. however, go down some areas in overtown or homestead and i'm sure you'll find some banged up street that is barely functional. does this make us third world? no, but we are in pretty bad shape.

also can you tell me which miami hospital is ranked amongst the nations best? i typed it "usa top hospitals" on google and out of the top 19 it gave me, none of them where in florida.
Of course there are paved roads, hospitals, electricity and water in third world countries! Are you serious, what do you take us as?!?! I can show you paved roads in Zimbabwe and Kenya too, doesnt mean jack. In these third world countries large parts of the country and cities are huts and boxes that dont even have the option for water, elctricity and paved roads, while here in america its just pure economics not infrastructure. The best you can find in America are unpaved roads in ghettos not whole sections of a country or whole sections of cities with severe poverty and no oppurtunity for so. I can also show you a couple of unpaved roads in Detroit, Houston, Baltimore and Jacksonville I personally have seen or seen online. Again to even discuss wether Miami is third world or not is purely RIDICULOUS, ridiculous, stupid, oh and pointless too. Its not, not even close. You can point to poverty anywhere and once again doesnt mean jack.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:26 PM

483 posts, read 1,544,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
Miami's 4th largest school district is also crumbling. Do you look at the news, hear the radio, read the newspaper. Yes, Miami does have the 4th largest school district in the nation because of the number of students in the school district, not because of its quality.

One thing is to enjoy living here and enjoying your life in Miami; nothing wrong with that. Another is to refuse and ignore to look at the reality of South Florida and Miami and the problems that it has, yet only getting worse.

If I can sell my house within the next year at a decent price(doesn't look good now) and get the heck out of here, I would in a heart beat. Futhermore, look at the lack of well educated kids graduating from our high schools, standardized test scores, disgruntled Miami Dade County schoolteachers(I know lots of them)with what is being reported that personal/sick days may be reduced due to state and county budget cuts.

WE HAVE SERIOUS PROBLEMS IN MIAMI, FL THAT PEOPLE DO NOT WANT TO SEE OR CANNOT SEE.

I for one would like to get on here and post how beautiful Miami is and how many things are looking brighter and brighter here in beautiful South Florida. If I did I would either be lying to those that are reading, or lying to myself.

By nature I am a positive and optimistic person. However, I cannot and will not deny the problems that are occuring in our community. Hopefully, many of the problems that are occuring in South Fl will be addressed and corrected quickly. If not, we will continue to see a continuous progression of a diminishing quality of life in Miami, FL
You're correct Miami isnt all pretty and sunshine, but is it really going downhill? I can point to you many improvements in schools( not saying they're great or they arent an issue am I?). Miami isnt getting poorer, quite the opposite, last I checked its getting farther and farther away from the top of that list (not saying theres no povert am I?). Politics are politics but from what Ive read South Florida was far worse a couple of years ago, stuff Ive read from Miami and Hialeah is quite disgraceful, today some people disagree with them using money for certian projects and most of them are not efficient (not defending them am I?). To say things are getting worse, things are bad and Miami is horrible sounds quite contradictive to a positive and optimistic person, and its not denying issues in this city, I address alot of them but how you describe it and classify things is surpassing addressing them and getting to the point of exagerating them.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:09 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,764,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The problem is that the Miami area is such a bad value for the money, and plagued with an endless stream of migrants from worse places.
Describe what you mean by this. Everybody says immigrants are bad for Miami but NOBODY defines how.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami