Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 12:10 PM

286 posts, read 1,082,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgirl7 View Post
Due to the high property taxes - I will not be purchasing my condo on Brickell Avenue. Taxes for 1 bedroom condo: yr 2007 $4,727, yr 2008 $4,636.
That is $386/mo plus condo fee of $340/mo. Even if pay cash on a short-sale deal, you have approx $700/mo fees and taxes. On the new buidlings on Brickell, they have condo fee of $600 or more.

Yeah - the financial planners were not happy with the property tax expense. I am going to keep monitoring the situation over the next 6 months for any changes.

Lots of present owners in miami-dade are being forced to sell their homes or condo due to the increase in property taxes over the past 6 years.
I know exactly how you feel
I too have bid on a condo
cost=120k
monthly maintenance=$500.00
yearly prop taxes=$9000.00

So that means I will pay $1250.00 monthly after having paid cash for the property itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 12:12 PM

140 posts, read 508,435 times
Part of the problem with property taxes is that thru tax year 2007, the Dade County Prop Appraiser did not use foreclosures and short sales when looking at comparable sales. So if you were unlucky enough to buy a condo where most of the recent sales have been bulk sales or other distressed sales, the tax bill wouldn't reflect the actual market value of your unit. This year, they will take short sales into account, but not foreclosures. If you have comps that support a lower market value, you should absolutely fight your tax assessment. If you have the comps, it is a completely winnable fight. So look out for short sales in your condo building and keep records. Zillow sometimes misses short sales, so check the property appraisers website or ask a realtor friend.

I think it's a cop-out to blame SOH for this mess. Gross property tax collections (including homesteaded residences, non-homesteaded and commercial properties) have increased at a far greater rate than either the growth in our economy or the growth in our population over the past decade. SOH just affects the distribution of the tax burden, but doesn't explain why the overall tax burden has skyrocketed.

Miami-Dade is barely growing population-wise, our student population is actually decreasing, and yet every year the property tax revenue increases. Why?? The system sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami