Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 01:07 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,115,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
You guys on this site really over-react to places that aren't high class suburbias. I heard bad stuff about carol city and would have never gone there until I left a marlins game and go down the street to get gas. As I'm pumping gas I notice the emphamous CAROL MART right across the street. In the middle of an area full of strip malls with walmart home depot office max etc. I think to myself THIS is carol city?
Carol City has a rep for a reason. If you don't look and act the part, stay out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 12:01 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,323,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
One of my distant relatives is Cuban and has been living in Miami since 1969...she says she wouldn't go to Little Havana and that there is nothing "Cuban" about it anymore except for a few haunts...and everybody over there seems to agree that it is like "Little Central America" these days.

I go there once in blue moon to eat and your right its Central America not Havana .

The Cuban place I go eat is now run/owned by El Salvador couple.
Still great so no big deal but Cuban Havana it is not .

Old 08-07-2008, 12:06 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,323,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
I think Little Havana is unique and it's definitely different. I'd recommend people to go visit. However, I'd recommend they take a bus from Downtown, say the 8 that goes right down Calle Ocho. But if you pick up a guide book on Miami, they have detail descriptions on Little Havana and Calle Ocho.

Let's put it this way: Little Havana would be a really big tourist destination if it had good public transit access. Without public transit acess though, tourists find it really hard to visit the area unfortunately.
------------------

"Little Havana would be a really big tourist destination if it had good public transit access."

Agree but that takes politicians who care who have helped the economy in the tiniest way sadly not one politician in South Florida fits that description.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:10 AM

763 posts, read 3,521,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
They are on the last Friday of every month only. Get there around 8 ish. You'll need to park somewhere else on streets around the perimeter. You'll do some walking.

There is a laundromat that has a parking lot and you have this woman with a couple of young kids that sits there and she charges $5.00 for watching your car and "allowing" you to park there. When you come back, there's nobody there anymore. Great security. Her partner does the same at the pharmacy/optical shop (?) across the street.

We've never had a problem. Just make sure you don't block anyone's driveway or get into any private business lots (unless that lady tells you it's OK).
Thanks, sounds really interesting, I'm going to go now! Cultural Fridays it is lol!

Old 08-07-2008, 12:29 PM

350 posts, read 1,515,642 times
Sounds like a great board meetup!

Old 08-07-2008, 01:46 PM

71 posts, read 281,931 times
Tourists in Little Havana? Pleeeeeeeeease!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-07-2008, 08:19 PM

52 posts, read 175,241 times
I was recently on a tour bus that dropped off in Little Havana, one of two stops. The tour runs twice daily. While researching other tours, they all emphasize that they stop in Little Havana, and while reading up on Miami, just about everything made it sound like THE place to be. After seeing it, I'm glad we didn't go out of our way to get there, but it definitely is something that is promoted as "exciting" for tourists!

Old 08-23-2008, 11:01 PM

15 posts, read 64,622 times
No no no

Old 08-24-2008, 09:47 PM

670 posts, read 1,735,448 times
Default Would you recommend Calle Ocho to tourists?

_

no

Old 08-24-2008, 10:38 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,464,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
As a white caucasian male I enjoy Little Havana and what it has to offer,I would like to be there when they have the celebration or party every month on Calle Ocho. I feel it is definitely worth the visit and it is a relatively safe place too.
As a Hispanic-American living in Miami Florida for the past 12 years i do NOT think Little Havana is a safe place, especially in Calle Ocho Festival, it gets too wild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami