Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 01:39 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,764,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerMan View Post
Acc. to Census its 5.14% white.
Is that supposed to be a lot?

That's great if tourists want to go there! More sales tax for the county! I just refuse to eat around there. The restaurants are dirty and the food is OK. It's just not all it's hyped up to be. Why doesn't someone start a thread on good Cuban restaurants and I'll name a few - none of which are anywhere near Calle Ocho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 02:01 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,247,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post

That's great if tourists want to go there! More sales tax for the county! I just refuse to eat around there. The restaurants are dirty and the food is OK. It's just not all it's hyped up to be. Why doesn't someone start a thread on good Cuban restaurants and I'll name a few - none of which are anywhere near Calle Ocho.
No one would consider that a great amount, but it does show that there are non-Hispanic Caucasians that live in Little Havana - even if it is very little.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:24 PM

483 posts, read 1,544,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
NO! lol

Old 08-27-2008, 11:17 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,018 times
Calle Ocho is like Paris Hilton is only famous for being famous.

The only good things around there are some of the restaurants and some Bookstores (Spanish bookstores if you are into Cuban culture)

The street itself is really ugly full of motels and strip malls.

I never seen the tourist but I don't go there often, but if someone wants to see the Cuban culture I would probably take them to one of the nicest restaurants there.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:38 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,157,785 times
Hey guys!

Last Friday of the month is tomorrow. That's "Viernes Culturales" Friday (Cultural Friday) so anybody who wants to hear some music, eat awesome food (well, sometimes) bump shoulders with all kinds, just hang out..........tomorrow is your night!

I might go if it doesn't rain.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:25 PM

5 posts, read 12,251 times
Default Why do they want to visit?

Haha, I tell ALL the tourists who ask me (and it does happen, around the streets, online), that they HAVE to visit little havana. calle ocho. lil haiti.

This way they can see what Miami is really like, besides the beaches and naked people adorning them.

Just wish I could see their faces when they find it....

Old 08-31-2008, 04:24 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,924,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerat View Post
Haha, I tell ALL the tourists who ask me (and it does happen, around the streets, online), that they HAVE to visit little havana. calle ocho. lil haiti.

This way they can see what Miami is really like, besides the beaches and naked people adorning them.

Just wish I could see their faces when they find it....

haha, yeah I don't think little havana is really anywhere worth visiting if you are coming as a tourist.. I drove through there and it doesn't look like anything special. I'll probably grab some food there one of these days at one of the little restaraunts.. but for tourists, I can't see any reason to go out of your way to see it. If they want to see a lot of Spanish speaking people or hear spanish just tell them to go to publix..

Old 08-31-2008, 08:51 PM

41 posts, read 96,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitazz View Post
Calle Ocho is like Paris Hilton is only famous for being famous.

The only good things around there are some of the restaurants and some Bookstores (Spanish bookstores if you are into Cuban culture)

The street itself is really ugly full of motels and strip malls.

I never seen the tourist but I don't go there often, but if someone wants to see the Cuban culture I would probably take them to one of the nicest restaurants there.
Couldnt people get the Cuban culture just by going to Miami, not even having to go to Calle Ocho? I mean, in Orlando, we have Calle Ocho now too, but you certainly dont have to attend to see Puerto-rican culture.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:54 PM

41 posts, read 96,336 times
"If they want to see a lot of Spanish speaking people or hear spanish just tell them to go to publix.."

In Orlando, it is Wal-Mart, not quite Publix, atleast not ALL the time like you would in Miami...yet...

Old 09-06-2008, 06:21 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,698,888 times
I totally MISS Calle Ocho! I used to love to go every year (when I lived in Miami and then in the Keys). It's been like 5 years since I have been. I am sure the food is just as good as well as the entertainment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami