Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2008, 05:21 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Would Miami be a good vacation destination for family of four (two kids 12 and 15) for a week in August? We're not into Disney/Orlando (been there, done that) but would like to enjoy some good beaches, good food and have some interesting attractions/places to visit on day trips.

Miami came up on my radar mainly because I have 4 SW Airline passes I need to use and I can get non-stop flights from Austin to Ft. Lauderdale, rent a car and get there fairly hassle free. Some of the other destinations we considered (NYC) impose travel complications (switching flights, inconvenient times, long drives).

Any feedback is welcome.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 05:48 PM

54 posts, read 521,058 times
Aside from the fact that August weather is brutally hot and humid (and hopefully no hurricanes!), sure, I think it's a great destination. You might consider driving down to the keys for a few days. And also you should decide whether you're more the Miami or Ft. Lauderdale types. Lots of options with each. Good luck!

Old 08-05-2008, 06:38 PM

763 posts, read 3,531,709 times
Sounds right on to me. I think it's a great idea. If you're looking for attractions, I sugest Miami Seaquarium, Miami MetroZoo, Jungle Island and especially Villa Vizcaya. Definitely check out Vizcaya, it's a Miami classic.

If you're in to museums, check out: Bass Museum (South Beach favorite, really nice), Miami Science Museum (has a really cool dinosaur fossils exhibition), Wolfsonian-FIU Museum (good for Miami Beach history), MoCA (modern art), and/or Lowe Art Museum (classic art and antiquities).

Good for shopping: Lincoln Road, Collins Avenue, Washington Avenue, Bayside Marketplace, and/or Sawgrass Mall and Aventura Mall (the later two are really, really big but are your typical suburban malls except bigger). There are a lot more areas but they're either far away, really upscale or nothing special.

Cool parts to walk around: South Beach, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, Downtown, Brickell, and maybe even Little Havana if you're interested. I suggest you spend a day in Downtown and Brickell, take a ride on the free Metromover trains to see the city from above, have dinner, and then continue south to Coconut Grove to walk around and have dessert. At least that's what I'd do lol.

Hope that helps! Enjoy Miami!

Old 08-05-2008, 06:56 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
Sounds right on to me. I think it's a great idea. If you're looking for attractions, I sugest Miami Seaquarium, Miami MetroZoo, Jungle Island and especially Villa Vizcaya. Definitely check out Vizcaya, it's a Miami classic.

If you're in to museums, check out: Bass Museum (South Beach favorite, really nice), Miami Science Museum (has a really cool dinosaur fossils exhibition), Wolfsonian-FIU Museum (good for Miami Beach history), MoCA (modern art), and/or Lowe Art Museum (classic art and antiquities).

Good for shopping: Lincoln Road, Collins Avenue, Washington Avenue, Bayside Marketplace, and/or Sawgrass Mall and Aventura Mall (the later two are really, really big but are your typical suburban malls except bigger). There are a lot more areas but they're either far away, really upscale or nothing special.

Cool parts to walk around: South Beach, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, Downtown, Brickell, and maybe even Little Havana if you're interested. I suggest you spend a day in Downtown and Brickell, take a ride on the free Metromover trains to see the city from above, have dinner, and then continue south to Coconut Grove to walk around and have dessert. At least that's what I'd do lol.

Hope that helps! Enjoy Miami!
You would make a good concierge Kevin.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:36 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Miami is a good place to vacation. Just know that August is a peak hurricane month for us including September. It is also our second rainest month. The best time to visit Miami is Jan - April. NYC will also be hot in August btw.

Spend one day in Everglades National Park, drink lots of water as its going to be really hot. Everglades National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Spend one day on the beach/pool in South Beach.

Spend one day in Key Largo at John Pennekamp State Park. So many things to do there from renting bikes, canoes, taking a snorkel trip, a glass bottom boat ride, dive trips, etc. Welcome to John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park - Key Largo, Florida Keys

Spend another day doing all these: Viscaya, Bill Baggs State Park on Key Biscayne and lunch in Coconut Grove then walk around the shops. Main Page - Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park » Florida State Parks
Miami-Dade County - Vizcaya
Coconut Grove BIC

So there is 4 days.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:38 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Miami is a good place to vacation. Just know that August is a peak hurricane month for us including September. It is also our second rainest month. The best time to visit Miami is Jan - April. NYC will also be hot in August btw.

Spend one day in Everglades National Park, drink lots of water as its going to be really hot. Everglades National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Spend one day on the beach/pool in South Beach.

Spend one day in Key Largo at John Pennekamp State Park. So many things to do there from renting bikes, canoes, taking a snorkel trip, a glass bottom boat ride, dive trips, etc. Welcome to John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park - Key Largo, Florida Keys

Spend another day doing all these: Viscaya, Bill Baggs State Park on Key Biscayne and lunch in Coconut Grove then walk around the shops. Main Page - Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park » Florida State Parks
Miami-Dade County - Vizcaya
Coconut Grove BIC

So there is 4 days.

Excellent suggestions. I sometimes think it's easy for those of us who live/have lived in Miami to forget that the Everglades hasn't been completely paved over and built on just yet. If anyone does decide to check out the Glades while it's still here during the summer months, do not forget to bring bug repellant and sunscreen! Shark Valley is a nice place to start.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:35 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Thanks for all the great tips.
Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami