Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 02:04 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times

Advertisements

I think the reason is because ILLEGAL immigrants (including illegal Mexicans) avoid low income black areas. Low income black areas often tend to be pretty close knit and wary of outsiders, and illegal immigrants become targets for home invasions and burglaries because they won't run to the police and keep cash on hand/in their home. Same goes for a lower income white community, but they just tend to pick up and leave instead of forming the same hard bond. Remember also, not all Mexicans and immigrants are illegal.

All I know is I like the people replacing the former residents of the downtown Davie area a lot better. Waaaaaay less seedy now. I wish they would have came legally, but that is a different thread.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:12 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
I'm going to have to say that not just illegal Hispanics avoid black areas; it seems like pretty much all non-black* Hispanic immigrants avoid black areas. Even in places like Detroit (which nowadays is 80% + black) the Mexicans move to the few areas that have substancial white presence. In places with which I am familiar (South Florida, NY/NJ, Boston) the Mexicans/CentralAmericans generally live in areas that were 10-15 years ago very working-class white. With a few notable exceptions (and I'll name them: South Central LA and Harlem, NY) this seems to be overwhelmingly true in most of the country.

*The reason why I specify "non-black Hispanic" is because many black and mulatto Dominicans in the NYC and Boston areas move to African-American / black areas.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:24 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,248,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I know we've talked about this before, but dem good ole boys couldn't have all moved north. There are still plenty of them in Homestead and Davie and I would be shocked to learn that PBC doesn't have rednecks anymore!
Well, considering many schools in the cities I've mentioned are now around 75% Hispanic (mostly Mexican/Guatemalan, kids of illegal immigrants) I'd say that the vast majority of the good ol' boys have moved on to other areas. In fact, all of the rednecks I've personally known from years past have moved to the Carolinas, North Florida, St. Lucie/Martin Counties, etc.

There are still many of them in the Acreage, Loxahatchee, etc. though. Those areas aren't doing a complete flip-flop like the other ones I've mentioned, they're merely diversifying but are still mostly crackers.

And in terms of illegal immigrants not moving to black areas, there are actually neighborhoods in West Palm Beach and Boynton Beach (east, near Seacrest) where some illegals have moved into, but not in huge amounts. I'd imagine they'd be like Davie (I'm not sure about Davie, this is just what I THINK it's like) where they have small pockets of them but there are more of other races.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post

There are still many of them in the Acreage, Loxahatchee, etc. though. Those areas aren't doing a complete flip-flop like the other ones I've mentioned, they're merely diversifying but are still mostly crackers.
Same exact thing is happening with Davie. The west half (west of University) diversified but it is nicer than ever, it suburbanized a bit too however. Most of what I was talking about is chiefly downtown Davie. There are still some trailer parks on both sides but on the west side they mostly house outpriced middle class families living in them for the location and the comparatively decent school district. There are still a lot of nice, non racist parts of east Davie too, the parts with land

Last edited by compelled to reply; 08-22-2008 at 02:52 PM..

Old 08-22-2008, 02:40 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
What about wives killing their husbands? This happens too. In fact just in Greenacres a few months ago some lady killed her boyfriend. For some reason no one brings up that men are abused in relationships too.
yeah but lets keep it 100% here. Generally (this is a generalization here). A lot of women who end up killing their significant other is generally because they have been abused and they snap. Now some women are psycho, yeah. I knew a guy whose wife would beat him, scratch his face and do all sorts of psychotic crap to him. But by in large a lot of women I knew would get the crap beat out of them. I know of one case personally where the wife just snapped and had it out with the husband. Ended up killing him.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:42 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerMan View Post
Funny how illegal immigrants seem to concentrate in places like Davie and Homestead where the good 'ole racist boys exist openly and abundantly.
A lot of them settle in poor african american areas too. Like in Pompano for example. Also in "flagler village" downtown fort laurderdale which is on the out skirts of sistrunk.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:44 PM

710 posts, read 2,233,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Same exact thing is happening with Davie. The west half (west of University) diversified but it is nicer than ever, it suburbanized a bit too however. Most of what I was talking about is chiefly downtown Davie. There are still some trailer parks but they mostly house outpriced middle class families living in them for the location and the comparatively decent school district. There are still a lot of nice, non racist parts of east Davie too, the parts with land
AAAH, this brings back memories. Crackers... I haven't heard that term in a while.

I went to high school at Nova, near downtown Davie.
We HATED it there. Big white pick-up trucks with confederate flags waving, rednecks screaming out the window that we were "f*gg*ts" ... charming place.

Glad to hear it's evolving a bit.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:50 PM

God, not even Western is like that anymore !

Old 08-22-2008, 02:52 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
Isn't Western more known for upper middle class kids driving BMW's and SUV's than for rednecks?? And hasn't that area been a wealthy "estate area" (big homes surrounding by horse pastures, gardens, etc.) for a while now?

Old 08-22-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Isn't Western more known for upper middle class kids driving BMW's and SUV's than for rednecks?? And hasn't that area been a wealthy "estate area" (big homes surrounding by horse pastures, gardens, etc.) for a while now?
It was transitioning into that when I went there. I had teachers that were there since the school opened, oh the stories...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami