Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 01:29 PM

483 posts, read 1,544,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Only on a forum called "Miami" can you hear these concepts.
Nope.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:50 PM

4 posts, read 6,439 times
Red face Help a good ole boy out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I know we've talked about this before, but dem good ole boys couldn't have all moved north. There are still plenty of them in Homestead and Davie and I would be shocked to learn that PBC doesn't have rednecks anymore!
prepare to be shocked, i just moved here from east texas and havent heard a Southern accent in the area for months! It seems to be only illegals and people from up north around here I cant find anyone who both speaks English and pronounces there Rs lol. Please tell me if there are any southern areas anywhere close by. I dont make much and am looking for an area with a southern flare ( no 'progressive' areas), am getting homesick but need to be close to family, I was thinking toward Okeechobee and points north but would prefer an area closer by. Please help, missing the laidback atmosphere that Im used too. For the record theres nothing wrong with waving the rebel flag, its Southern heritage and we should be proud of it, if people can fly flags from foreign countrys why not the Southern flag? I could be way off because im new to the area so correct me if im wrong. Help!

Old 04-27-2009, 10:06 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbotx View Post
prepare to be shocked, i just moved here from east texas and havent heard a Southern accent in the area for months! It seems to be only illegals and people from up north around here I cant find anyone who both speaks English and pronounces there Rs lol. Please tell me if there are any southern areas anywhere close by. I dont make much and am looking for an area with a southern flare ( no 'progressive' areas), am getting homesick but need to be close to family, I was thinking toward Okeechobee and points north but would prefer an area closer by. Please help, missing the laidback atmosphere that Im used too. For the record theres nothing wrong with waving the rebel flag, its Southern heritage and we should be proud of it, if people can fly flags from foreign countrys why not the Southern flag? I could be way off because im new to the area so correct me if im wrong. Help!
LOL, can i ask why you moved here with a mindset like that?

Old 04-27-2009, 10:13 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
I would have to echo that. I would dearly love to say a few choice things that would surely have me bounced off this forum.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:10 PM

18 posts, read 70,152 times
Hi Sopralto, I'm a Cuban American working as a nurses Aide in Staten Island N.Y. I work with alot of spanish speaking people, many times they speak spanish to me on the elevator, coffee shop etc. i do answer them in spanish but many times i answer in English when i know other's don't understand. I do think it's rude. But to be honest with you, many of those people don't mean to be rude, when they speak to each other it just comes out in spanish or spanglish.I don't think they meant anything by asking you that. Give them a little time, you might get to like them & even have fun with them. Good luck in your new job. I'll be moving to Pembroke Pines next yr. (retirering) can't wait.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:38 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,373 times
Crisp

Davie is the most sinister place I've ever been in Southern Florida.
Even more than Liberty City.
Have you ever seen those movies about corrupt southern towns, with dangerous cops and extremely primitive and dangerous yokels?
That was Davie.
They should settle that place with anything different.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 04-28-2009 at 05:42 AM.. Reason: i

Old 04-28-2009, 10:10 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Crisp

Davie is the most sinister place I've ever been in Southern Florida.
Even more than Liberty City.
Have you ever seen those movies about corrupt southern towns, with dangerous cops and extremely primitive and dangerous yokels?
That was Davie.
They should settle that place with anything different.
Some parts of East Davie are pretty run-down. Today it's an odd mix of lower-income / working-class non-Hispanic whites, some legal mestizo Mexicans, and many illegal mestizo Mexicans. Want to see it?
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...32488801431661

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...06696428571431

West Davie is a different story: large homes, well-kept yards, and upper-income families.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:00 AM

4 posts, read 6,439 times
Ok, i moved here not by choice but I had to be close to family. Just trying to adjust, try to go to rural Georgia or a place like that from Miami and you would understand. Also im not racist against anyone , just think it is wrong and disrespectful to try to force someone to speak a foreign language. If you are at least attempting to speak English thats one thing but theres no reason for 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation 'Americans' who dont know English at all. No offence to northern people either, just alot of yall are incredibly high strung just relax and enjoy life. So sorry if ive offended anyone just voicing my opinion and trying to find an area im a bit more comfortable with. God bless.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:06 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Quote:
Ok, i moved here not by choice but I had to be close to family. Just trying to adjust, try to go to rural Georgia or a place like that from Miami and you would understand. Also im not racist against anyone , just think it is wrong and disrespectful to try to force someone to speak a foreign language. If you are at least attempting to speak English thats one thing but theres no reason for 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation 'Americans' who dont know English at all. No offence to northern people either, just alot of yall are incredibly high strung just relax and enjoy life. So sorry if ive offended anyone just voicing my opinion and trying to find an area im a bit more comfortable with. God bless.
Only an incredibly small minority of 2nd generation Americans don't speak English fluently. Most 1st generation Americans with whom I have come into contact speak English fluently, and generally EVERYONE under age 30 who moves to the US from a non-English speaking country learns fluent English as well. The people you'll find in South Florida who don't speak English well tend to be either: a) recent immigrants or b) old people who have been here for a while and pretty much only socialize with other old people who speak the same language.

No one in South Florida is forcing anyone to speak a language other than English except for some parents trying to make sure their children speak another language at home. You haven't offended me, I'm just curious why you feel that (what I'm assuming is) Spanish is forced on you.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:23 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
I have always found the areas around Homestead and Florida City to be more like the "South" than the rest of MiamiDade County. It's far from a lot of what Miami has to offer but it might be a good fit for you. The Northern Keys also feel more Southern to me.
Regarding the Rebel Flag....While you may see it as a cultural thing and a source of pride, keep in mind that many others will perceive it as a symbol of hate and prejudice. As a Southerner myself, I view the Stars and Bars in much the same way that I view the Nazi German Flag. Both represent a time in history where those flags were flown politically. However, both also represent oppression to those who were (at best) discriminated against or (at worst) murdered for who they were. So, while I'd never deny anyone his/her culture, I'd caution anyone to be sensitive to what flying such a flag means to others. So, basically, what I am saying is that the Stars and Bars isn't the same thing as flying the Argentine Flag or Colombian Flag. People doing so might actually be citizens of the countries these flags represent. There is no such official current political association with the Stars and Bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami