Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 04:14 AM

5 posts, read 9,614 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys, i'm a single 26 years old male from France and i'd like to have a long trip in the united-states to enjoy the american way of life but i hesitate between miami and los angeles
What i like in miami it's the warm carribean sea and all what's included with (tropical food, latin ambiance...) But i heard people are very rude and superficial so as i'd like to make some friends i don't know if this general attitude could help ???
Los angeles it's for the music, movies and also the latin influence.
As i'm gonna stay for a short but enough long time i'm looking for a cheap rent or a shared appartment.
Can you please give me some advice regarding my criteria and your own opinion about this two cities for a simple and funky tourist.
I have already read many threads talking about miami and los angeles but it was about moving and living their.
I wish i would go to both cities but my budget is limited.
Thank you for helping me to make a choice

Sorry for grammatical errors, bye
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 06:12 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,960,222 times
Probably LA it`s a huge city with alot to do plus you can explore the surrounding areas like the mountains.

But if you are just coming down to party then Miami beach will be the place.

You also might want to try NYC

Old 08-23-2008, 08:47 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,444,330 times
I have to say LA is probably a better city to get an American experience. Miami really isn't a good example of America, its more like South America or the caribbean islands. From LA you can drive to San Fran, San Diego, Lake Tahoe, Reno, Las Vegas, etc. Where it takes 6 hours (driving) to just get out of the state of Florida. You could go to Orlando and do the Disney World thing 4 hours from Miami. But Disney Land in Cali is closer I believe to LA than 4hrs. Than we are to Disney World. In LA you could be surfing in the morning and skiing at night also. Its pretty cool.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:03 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,419,801 times
Hands down, go to Los Angeles if you can only do one. You will enjoy it more, plus there is far more to do, and you have Disney in California if that's any help. If money is not a major issue, do all three (Los Angeles, New York and Miami/Ft Lauderdale). That should be a blast.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:20 AM

9,356 posts, read 14,291,728 times
I'll join the chorus and advise, in your case, Los Angeles over Miami - in my life I have lived in both.

As doggiebus and others have mentioned, you will have a more "American" experience in Los Angeles and you are geographically close to some of the widest varieties of geography, arguably on the planet - ocean, mountains, agricultural land, desert - all within a few hours drive and in a relatively peaceful social environment.

I think you know what I mean.

Whatever you decide ...

Enjoy the freedom of youth!

Old 08-23-2008, 10:26 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,056,326 times
I agree LA. California is just beautiful. The scenery is breath taking.

You can drive down to San Diego and go to the zoo.
You can drive up north to San Francisco and the Napa Valley wineries.
You can also go up north to Lake Tahoe, Reno (NV) or east to Vegas.

You can go to the ski resorts.

The weather is nicer too. A little colder during the winter, but Miami is usually nasty hot.

I also think the food is better there. I just don't like Cuban Cuisine. Too much garlic and onions. Mexican food has more variety. You can also get good Chinese and central american food which is awesome. Also in California they have a more liberal mentality, so you are going to see more independent coffee shops and restaurants instead of Chain restaurants & Starbucks.

If you can't go to LA for whatever reason, yes do consider Miami or New York. From Miami you can drive down to the Keys, go to the Everglades, Orlando(Disney), you can go on a Cruise to the Bahamas, Jamaica.

I don't know about the people. One thing about Miami is that drivers are very rude. Changing lanes is mission impossible here. If you put your left or right turn signal, about 90% of the time they will speed up. I find that so stupid. You don't see that in other places. But I think most people are the same everywhere, good and bad.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:25 AM

710 posts, read 2,232,296 times
Also depends on when you go ... LA can be hot (almost as bad as Miami) in the summer and a bit too cool and grey and rainy (Miami nicer) in the winter.
Miami has more going on in the winter (Art Basel, Book Fair, Food & Wine Festival), LA has more going on in the summer.
Also, don't think of LA as really having a "Latin" influence... it's working class Mexican for the most part. Nothing wrong with that, but it isn't nearly as varied and interesting as Miami in THAT regard.

Food and cultural stuff ... for the most part, the best in Miami is as good as the best in LA, there is just MORE restaurants, museums, etc in LA. It is a bigger city. (Nightclubs probably the exception.)

I would say people in LA are more pleasant to deal with in a general, everyday way, but also MORE superficial. LA is even more notorious than Miami for superficial "where do you live and what do you drive" women and "what's your job" guys. The "rude" thing in Miami is overblown imho. In general, the people are a lot less rude than say a Parisian, in Paris, in August.

LA Pros:
GREAT road trip potential -- add Sequoia, Yosemite, SanFran, central coast to the list of places already mentioned.
MORE of everything; neighborhoods, architecture, restaurants, stores, etc. You only have 3 months, but LA is bigger than Miami and just has MORE to explore.
Strong Asian influence.
Can have prettier vistas IF the smog isn't bad. A crisp winter day with the snow capped mountains in the far background, LA can be gorgeous.

LA Cons:
Beaches not nearly as nice. Water cold (barely 70 f in summer, less than 58 f in winter).
Almost everything is just a bit more expensive.
Smog.
Traffic a little worse.

Miami Pros:
Weather much warmer and nicer in winter.
Beaches MUCH nicer and water MUCH warmer all year.
More "resorty" "vacationy" feel.
Less expensive (not by that much).
Strong & interesting Latin & Caribbean influence.
Less than 3 hours and $250 r/t to New York (EVERYONE should visit NYC).

Miami Cons:
Smaller city, so less going on.
More humid during the day and hotter at night 2/3 of the year (except winter).
People drive a little crazier than LA (not nearly as crazy as Paris though).

A lot of the stuff is a toss-up, it really depends on the kind of place you want to be and what you want to do while you're there. If you want to explore and have road trips available to you, like to ski at Mammoth Mountain or visit Yosemite, then LA. No question. If you want to spend days on the beach, Miami. No question. Etc, etc, etc.

If you were asking about a 1 week vacation, I would almost certainly say LA. But 3 months is different, it has to be the "life" you want to live for that time.

Bonne chance.

Last edited by planetsurf; 08-23-2008 at 12:51 PM..

Old 08-23-2008, 02:33 PM

5 posts, read 9,614 times
Thanks to everyone for your help, i ve posted the same thread in the los angeles forum and everybody agree to advice me L.A, so i'm gonna follow it.
I hope to visit more american cities in the future.
Thanks a lot guys.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:16 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,419,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
I would say people in LA are more pleasant to deal with in a general, everyday way, but also MORE superficial. LA is even more notorious than Miami for superficial "where do you live and what do you drive" women and "what's your job" guys. The "rude" thing in Miami is overblown imho. In general, the people are a lot less rude than say a Parisian, in Paris, in August.

Bonne chance.
Sure go ahead, tell him how rude his people are....in August . I guess you think they are, cause you may not speak French, or speak it fluently. I've had no problems with my fellow "Parisiens" the few times I've been there.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:47 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,552,668 times
I would choose Los Angeles. Much more to do and experience. You will also be a short drive from other great cities like Las Vegas and San Diego. Overall L.A. will give you a better American experience and you will never run out of things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami