Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 10:42 AM

35 posts, read 110,302 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if I could have a little information on where we'd best fit in the Miami area. Here is a little information about myself:

I am a 20 year old female and my boyfriend of four years is 19. We are looking to make the move from Albany NY (myself, originally from Buffalo, NY) to a major city on the East Coast for his career. He just graduated college for TV Production and is currently working at our local news station as an intern.

He is done with the internship in October and instead of taking our planned trip to Amsterdam, we are passing it up for now to move to a major city. I have been looking into Philly, Chicago, Boston, Miami and of course - NYC.

We are young and fun. We love to be outdoors. We are friendly, not big on partying, actually we only drink a couple beers once every few months at most, but we do like a nightlife scene just incase, and of course we'd like a nice neighborhood with people our age.

We, more than anything, want something relatively safe, a one-bedroom with a max. of $900.00/month before utilities, ABSOLUTELY somewhere that we wont need a car to get around (we want to sell them before we leave Albany), and definitely somewhere close to Public Transportation. Is there somewhere that you can specifically think of where we should look for an apartment? Please let me know! Thank you so, so much for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 10:58 AM

9,298 posts, read 14,199,802 times
If you don't already have a job lined up, then have at least 6 months of living expenses saved up.

It sounds like the town of Miami Beach is the place for you. You may be able to rent a more or less crappy old condo or apartment for $900 a month.

As a matter of self-protection, be cynical in your social and business dealings.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:01 AM

Thanks, Bale!

I know this may sound stupid but with all of the crime shows based in Miami (ie: my favorite, Dexter) I get a little nervous. Is it really as bad as it seems with all of the Homicides or is it exaggerated for TV?

Old 09-01-2008, 11:17 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,505,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie&Jerry View Post
ABSOLUTELY somewhere that we wont need a car to get around
You will not find this in any city in Florida!

Old 09-01-2008, 11:20 AM

9,298 posts, read 14,199,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie&Jerry View Post
Thanks, Bale!

I know this may sound stupid but with all of the crime shows based in Miami (ie: my favorite, Dexter) I get a little nervous. Is it really as bad as it seems with all of the Homicides or is it exaggerated for TV?
You will have to look up the latest crime statistics. No doubt Miami scores well above the national average, but you should zero in on Miami Beach, not the city of Miami. There are other forum members who are keen on these numbers.

According to my measure, if you are not a victim of crime, then the crime rate is zero; if you are a victim of crime than it is 100.

Good luck!

Old 09-01-2008, 11:08 PM

18 posts, read 62,960 times
You seem nice. Everybody I know who's nice leaves after a couple of years.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:32 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,821,955 times
Well, if you don't plan to use a car south beach is going to be your only bet... Crime..... I don't think this city is too dangerous as long as you stay in the decent parts. I'm a 20 year old guy and haven't felt uneasy at any time. If you don't have a car chances are you won't really be able to get to the bad areas with a lot of crime... but it will be a lot different than what you are used to.. apparently i've driven through some pretty bad areas and to me- didn't even look bad the ghettos aren't so ugly like they are in the north.

Miami is great, and I love it here.. you don't have to be a huge partier to enjoy the place. It's soo nice being able to walk outside and see nice cars and palm trees everywhere. You have to be prepared for a different lifestyle.. but if different is what you are looking for.. there won't be another place in the USA like here!

The job part depends what you are looking for, but definitely come down with a lot of money saved up.. because it isn't always so easy for people.

Mucho suerte!

Last edited by intelfan11315; 09-02-2008 at 12:32 AM..

Old 09-02-2008, 04:30 PM

Thanks everyone! Pinecrust, I am nice! Maybe that's a sign that I shouldn't move there if all the nice people leave. That must mean the mean people stay - right? Hahaha. My biggest concern is that I'm really not a go-to-the beach everyday girl and I love my Winter Wonderland here in the Northeast. I think I'm looking at Chicago for the time-being but I'm definitely not giving up Miami forever. Someday, I hope.

Burgler - Thanks for the reply! Everyone keeps saying to come with a lot of money, should that make me a little weary about Miami? It can't possibly be as expensive to live there as it is in New York State with our outrageous taxes. Cigarettes here are nearly $8.00 a pack and about $75-$80 a carton! (I don't buy cartons as I hardly smoke anymore haha, but still - they are expensive).

Thanks everyone!

Old 09-02-2008, 06:44 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,466,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
You will not find this in any city in Florida!
Agreed.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:18 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,821,955 times
It's not the fact of coming with a lot of money because it's expensive.. cigarettes are only 3.75 here.. its the fact that you might get down here and not be able to find a job for a while. Its not the cost of living but we are taking into consideration the time it could take you to find a job. If you were to come down here with a job already lined up there wouldn't be anything to worry about. I'm from Michigan and the cost of living (besides my rent of course) really isn't too much different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami