Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2007, 07:47 AM

13 posts, read 95,673 times

Advertisements

I'll be in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale this Wednesday on a scouting trip to check out potential areas to move my wife & myself to pending a successful job offer (the final job interview is on Thursday). We would be relocating from Manhattan if that matters (not that we're the stereotypical NYers who will make a bee-line to South Beach, quite the opposite).

Our ideal place would be a suburb that is on the residential side. We're looking for a peace & quiet and low-key environment to move to. Hate to say it, but looking for the suburban dream. Close to shopping, main roads, in a relatively new-build environment (we're looking for a low maintenance place).

The job itself is located just south of downtown Miami (where I-95 begins/ends approximately). I am however thinking about something in between Miami & Ft. Lauderdale to have maximum job opportunites and be centrally located (in case my wife finds a job in Ft. Lauderdale & I'm in Miami).

I only have one day for this so I want to make sure I'm checking out the right areas.

Thanks for any & all suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 03:54 PM

5 posts, read 16,235 times
Check out Hollywood andFt Laud

Old 02-03-2007, 09:47 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
If you want someplace in between, look at Miramar and Pembroke Pines.

Working in south Miami and living in Fort Lauderdale is a considerable commute - traffic is heavy. If your hours are the traditional 9 - 5 or so, you may want to reconsider. I live inland in an area named Weston. Pembroke Pines and Miramar are just south of me and are inland as well. These areas offer excellent access to major highways, hospitals, two major airports, shopping - everything. These are primarily bedroom communities.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 02-04-2007, 05:56 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
If you will work at the terminus of I-95, do not look for a traditional, new suburb. The hour plus commute in one direction will take an emotional toll on you, and the drivers here will eat away at your sanity.

Definantly check out some nontraditional residential areas, afterall, South Florida is exotic compared to NYC.

Try Key Biscayne, The Roads, Cocounut Grove, Coral Gables and Pinecrest. These areas are all in the area of where you will work. They are nice, upsacale residential areas with great services and stores.

A commute from up north in Dade County would be a nightmare. Now, if you get a job in FT.L, then Davie, Plantation or Weston are nice areas to consider. In between Miami and FT.L is pretty sketchy, in terms of what you are looking for, except for areas on the water. I would recommend Aventura if you don't mind a condo or town home, or even Hollywood, except that area is not new build, but still nice in some parts. But I emphasize, the commute will be an absurd sacrifice. There is no alternate to the car culture here like there is in NY.

So, if you will consider areas near your job, try: Coconut Grove, The Roads, The Gables, South Miami, Key Biscayne and Pinecrest.

If you HAVE to live inbetween Miami and FTL, try Hollywood and Aventura.
Good Luck.

Old 02-04-2007, 06:01 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
PS- Low maintenence homes and yards in South Florida do not exists. The humidity, heat, rain and hurricane threats will make all homeowners put in many sweat equity hours! If you want low maintence, have a gardener or buy into a Condo or Townhome project.

Also, South Florida is not a low key, laid back type of region. You can come close to it, on a few blocks in certain areas, but when you leave your area, you will be shopping, working and playing in an extremely congested and busy region. Just wanted to adress those issues as I re read your post.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:18 AM

355 posts, read 1,583,555 times
I think Hollywood would be your best bet if you want something in between. Even though Weston (very nice), Pembroke Pines, Cooper City, western Miramar are nice communities....but the commute to Miami is horrendous. Don't discount Coconut Grove. Belle Meade, Morningside are nice older Miami communities, as well.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:21 PM

8 posts, read 74,595 times
Unless you want an hour plus commute to work forget areas west of 75 or NW (Mirimar, Pembroke Pines, Doral, ect). You didnt say what your housing price range is. This more then anything else will drive where you look.

One area I didn't see mentioned is Miami Shores. A 2,000sq ft, 3bd, 2 ba ranch runs between $500k and $800k. Your commute to where 95 merges into US 1 would be 20-30 minutes in rush hour. Maybe 10 minutes non rush hour.

If you have children don't forget to factor in private schools if you live in Dade county. One reason areas like Pembroke are so popular is the public school system ( Broward County) is superior.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:53 PM

150 posts, read 426,311 times
pretty much, I agree with Chelito. The only thing I would ask is, How is Pinecrest near the terminus of I95? It's 10 miles. US1 traffic at 8 in the morning? Nasty. Plus it's directly the opposite direction from FtL. I too was thinking Aventura when you said between MIA and FTL, but yeah, that might be an hour drive to your job also. You might look at Miami Shores, yes. Biscayne BLVD north of ~ 100 street is pretty nice. My parents live in Key Biscayne, and that would be a great area for you. You got kids? Key Biscayne K-8 is possibly the best school in the county. Small community, beautiful area. Got 1.5 million for a house? 750K for a condo? No? Then forget it. My parents house, which is a 3/2, with pool, but needs a lot of work (floors, patio, pool surface, driveway, kitchen cabinets and appliances would all need to be redone if we were going to try and sell it, though the structure is strong. I mean to say the house is not what you would think of as really nice) was recently appraised at 1.2 million. I would look at the Roads area, Coral Gables or in Coconut Grove. These areas are all pretty expensive as well, though, not like Key Biscayne. Also there are many new residential bldgs being built downtown. Talk to a real estate agent.

I've never had to fight rush hour traffic, but you don't want to mess around with Miami Rush hour. At least in NYC, while riding the train or the taxi, you can read or get some work done. Not so in SoFla. There is no alternative to driving to work. Public Transport is the tool of the impovershed. If you were coming from Broward County line, during rush hour by yourself (so you can't use the High Occupany Vehicle lane) it could literally take an hour.

Again talk to a real estate agent, and good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami