Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 11:42 AM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCkid View Post

But Dade County does not have many middle class black neighborhoods, but if you think about it, the black population in Dade County consists of a large portion of Hatian and Jamican immigrants and blacks from other areas of Latin America. So its not really a fair comparison to areas like Atlanta, GA, or Prince George's county Maryland because those blacks have American born parents which gives them a pretty significant advantage.
That's funny, because areas like East Plantation, suburban West Palm Beach, Boynton Beach, Lauderhill, West Miramar, etc. have middle class black areas that are mostly made up of Haitians and Jamaicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 01:01 PM

149 posts, read 562,368 times
But so does Little Haiti, Liberty City, Carol City, Bell Glade, Opa Locka, Apopka, Wynwood, etc. Kids from those areas do not have the same amount of opportunites that a kid from suburban Atlanta or Washington, DC has. Poverty among Haitian Americans in South Florida has been a problem for years. Of course you have a few exceptions. But when you compare the black middle class in South Florida to the black middle class in Atlanta or Washington, there really is no comparison. (Not taking anything away from the areas you mentioned) (But then again that is comparing Miami-Dade to two of the wealthiest black suburban communities in the United States which is another pretty unfair comparison.)

Last edited by DCkid; 10-18-2008 at 01:16 PM..

Old 10-18-2008, 01:47 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times
Quote:
But so does Little Haiti, Liberty City, Carol City, Bell Glade, Opa Locka, Apopka, Wynwood, etc. Kids from those areas do not have the same amount of opportunites that a kid from suburban Atlanta or Washington, DC has. Poverty among Haitian Americans in South Florida has been a problem for years. Of course you have a few exceptions. But when you compare the black middle class in South Florida to the black middle class in Atlanta or Washington, there really is no comparison. (Not taking anything away from the areas you mentioned) (But then again that is comparing Miami-Dade to two of the wealthiest black suburban communities in the United States which is another pretty unfair comparison.)
Where are you finding middle class sections of cities like Liberty City, Carol City, and Belle-Glade? The closest thing you'll find are those Habitat for Humanity type things where there's one nice street in the middle of a total slum. And I can't even think of anything like that in Belle-Glade. And even Opa-Locka's "middle-class" neighborhoods (which are surrounded by bad areas) are overpriced compared to the cities two counties up.

I haven't been to Atlanta though, so I'm not too sure about how it is there.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:59 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,763,666 times
There are no middle class areas in Liberty City. If there are areas that look nicer than others, then it is only because of massive government intervention and programs like Habitat for Humanity, United Way, HUD, Miami-Dade County, etc... There is no private investment in that area whatsoever. You can't throw money at a problem and give people the impression that gov't ill always be there to give you a check if you don't succeed ... alla Obama.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:01 PM

149 posts, read 562,368 times
No I mean those areas have a large haitian population.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:49 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
I just replied to another thread about Richmond Heights and I think I should say similar here: there are some middle class black areas in Miami-Dade. Not many, but some. Richmond Heights is one of them. It's the lower-middle to middle class black area between the Turnpike and US1 bounded by SW 152nd Street to the South and the canal separating it from the affluent Falls neighborhood to the north. Central Cutler Ridge also has a substantial middle class black population.

With that said, there is a distinct economic gap in general between the black and non-black population in most of Miami Dade County. Even in Richmond Heights - which as I mentioned above - you are in a 80% black (mix of African-American and Jamaican, mostly) neighborhood of $300,000 homes but as soon as you cross the bridge to the Falls are you are in a 90% white (Jewish, Cuban, Italian, Anglo-American) neighborhood of $500,000-$1,000,000 homes. It's pretty drastic. Take a Google Maps "Street View" tour of the neighborhoods to see what I mean.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:07 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Miramar is a very big area (much larger than most of the "middle class" black dominated areas near Atlanta) and can hold it's own...can not really compare with DC at all though.

Estimated median household income in 2007: $72,155 (it was $50,289 in 2000)

That's actually higher than any area in west Broward except for Parkland, Coral Springs, Cooper City and Weston. I would say the only one that doesn't really have many black people out of those is Cooper City. When you consider that the average housing price is typically in the 500s in those areas in DC and the median incomes are usually closer to 50k in those areas outside of Atlanta, it's fairly competitive. However, Miramar is seriously getting let down by some of the small but violent neighborhoods east of the Turnpike that acutally make up a tiny portion of the city as well as it's proximity to the worst parts of Miami Gardens. Other than a few section 8 clusters (like everywhere else in west Broward), it's really a solid area that happens to trend on being black dominated.

Sunrise has the smallest disparity between black and white residents in the whole country, and Miramar, North Miami Beach, Pembroke Pines also make that list. I also saw Deerfield Beach and Boynton Beach on the list, but that is probably skewed due to the amount of retirees in those cities. It's not exactly the mecca like Atlanta but blacks can and do seem to do as well as anyone else down here, with some serious exceptions mentioned in the Haitian community (although that's particularly in Dade and Palm Beach). There is definitely a problem with poverty in the black community but I would say for the most part, blacks are very well integrated into the middle and upper middle class down here, which is larger than most people think.

//www.city-data.com/top2/h194.html

Last edited by compelled to reply; 10-18-2008 at 04:19 PM..

Old 10-18-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I just replied to another thread about Richmond Heights and I think I should say similar here: there are some middle class black areas in Miami-Dade. Not many, but some. Richmond Heights is one of them. It's the lower-middle to middle class black area between the Turnpike and US1 bounded by SW 152nd Street to the South and the canal separating it from the affluent Falls neighborhood to the north. Central Cutler Ridge also has a substantial middle class black population.

With that said, there is a distinct economic gap in general between the black and non-black population in most of Miami Dade County. Even in Richmond Heights - which as I mentioned above - you are in a 80% black (mix of African-American and Jamaican, mostly) neighborhood of $300,000 homes but as soon as you cross the bridge to the Falls are you are in a 90% white (Jewish, Cuban, Italian, Anglo-American) neighborhood of $500,000-$1,000,000 homes. It's pretty drastic. Take a Google Maps "Street View" tour of the neighborhoods to see what I mean.

Actually, those homes are more like $125,000, if not less. They're hood man, nobody would buy those homes if not for a real deal, especially in today's market! I bet the foreclosure rate in that area is astounding.

http://www.zillow.com/homes/map/rich...62_rect/14_zm/

Old 10-18-2008, 05:05 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Wow. The Zillow map shows the average "for sale" home price in Richmond Heights as being about $200,000 and the average "for sale" home price on the other side of the canal (The Falls) as being around $700,000. That's bigger than I thought the disparity was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
Actually, those homes are more like $125,000, if not less. They're hood man, nobody would buy those homes if not for a real deal, especially in today's market! I bet the foreclosure rate in that area is astounding.

Richmond Heights, Orlando, FL Real Estate and Homes for Sale | Zillow Real Estate

Old 10-18-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Wow. The Zillow map shows the average "for sale" home price in Richmond Heights as being about $200,000 and the average "for sale" home price on the other side of the canal (The Falls) as being around $700,000. That's bigger than I thought the disparity was.
FYI my orginal post had the wrong "Richmond Heights" from Orlando. I replaced it with the correct one from Miami in my edit. It is amazing what a canal can do, you are right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami