Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 07:19 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,487,771 times

Advertisements

In dry heat,u feel that u are roasted,baked,it becomes unbearable after a while...

But in wet heat,apart from sweating,u don't feel it unbearable...

That's the key point.

Humidity actually...saves Mia weather...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 07:42 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Each one of us is different, I know people that live in Phoenix and have lived in Miami, and would take the Phenix weather over Miami weather any day. They think Miami has worse weather. Then there are people that like Miami's weather better. There is no right or better answer its all a preference.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:33 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Each one of us is different, I know people that live in Phoenix and have lived in Miami, and would take the Phenix weather over Miami weather any day. They think Miami has worse weather. Then there are people that like Miami's weather better. There is no right or better answer its all a preference.
IMO Miami only has worse weather in that you have summer thunderstoms and the threat of hurricanes ... but as one who lived in Southern California which is dry but not nearly as hot and dry as Phoenix ... the heat and dry air is not only uncomfortable but it can be down right painful ... chapped and skin broken on elbows , lips , hands ... a sensation of constant thirst ... morning nose bleeds , dry eyes ... yes the Miami heat and humidity suck also but other than bad hair and sweat ... nothing to really cause physical distress like intense heat and dryness .... the So Cal weather is perfect and is not nearly as hot or dry as most of Arizona ... so trust me when I tell you in can get down right oppressive in Phoenix .

Old 11-12-2009, 05:39 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
^^^I always thought it was oppressive, but two people I know live there. When my Miami friend living in Phoenix went to Houston this summer, he couldn't wait to get back to the dry heat, he complained about the humidity in Houston. I guess there are people that like dry heat and then there are people that like humid heat, just a preference.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:12 AM

140 posts, read 508,435 times
I've lived in tropical and subtropical climates my whole life except for a few brief periods. I've never felt heat so oppressive as I felt last July, driving from Vegas to Flagstaff.

116 degrees! Sure, your sweat evaporates rapidly, but 116 degree breezes are much warmer than your body temp and actually feel like a blowdryer against your face. There is no cooling relief. You can't drive thru the desert with the windows down expecting a nice breeze, coz the air temps are so hot.

I'll take Miami (where it has never reached 100 degrees) in July over Phoenix in July. But i'd take Flagstaff in the mountains over either city, temperature-wise.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:11 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 910,693 times
It seems the myth of dry heat is finally being exposed in this thread. Anything above 95 in a dry heat climate is unbearable. You can't run, your AC isn't going to cool you down if your car has been sitting out in the sun all day. It's horrific.

The other problem with dry heat locales (California mostly) is the annual fire threat. I was in San Diego during the Oct '07 fires. I will never live in a place where there's a real fire threat like in California. The smoke lingers for days and there's really nothing that can be done. There is isn't enough water and all the housing development has eradicated all the natural fire barriers that nature put in place.

Give me a seasonal Hurricane threat ANYDAY over a CONSTANT FIRE THREAT.....

Old 11-23-2012, 11:51 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Honestly, if you can afford it, Hawaii. Pleasant warm temperatures, not too humid, but not too dry, and never gets chilly, unlike Miami and Phoenix.

Me, I'll take Miami anyday, because of being by the ocean and getting breezes. Plus, it is more rainy there, but not a depressing rain like Seattle. Also, people keep saying that in summer, Phoenix gets cool at night. This is false! Phoenix stays in the 70-80F range at night, sometimes warmer! And the monsoon season there brings thunderstorms and humidity. A dry 107F feels bad enough, but 107F with humidity is even worse. Miami is usually only 90F, and yes, the humidity is pretty intense, but only the same as other eastern cities in summer. Hawaii has better weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami