Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 7,222 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move from Phoenix to Miami as soon as the economy picks back up. I love the sun and the heat, but I'm leaving Arizona because it is just TOO hot with no relief. I can't enjoy my favorite time of the year, summer, because it is so scorching outside it forces you inside all day long. I need more to do recreation-wise and I figured that Miami would be a great destination because of the ocean. My question is: what is it like in Miami? Is it as unbearable outside, or does the sea breeze and the afternoon showers cool it off? Is there more to do besides water related things? What do most of the locals do for entertainment? Thank you for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 05:46 PM

710 posts, read 2,232,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephens52 View Post
I am considering a move from Phoenix to Miami as soon as the economy picks back up. I love the sun and the heat, but I'm leaving Arizona because it is just TOO hot with no relief. I can't enjoy my favorite time of the year, summer, because it is so scorching outside it forces you inside all day long. I need more to do recreation-wise and I figured that Miami would be a great destination because of the ocean. My question is: what is it like in Miami? Is it as unbearable outside, or does the sea breeze and the afternoon showers cool it off? Is there more to do besides water related things? What do most of the locals do for entertainment? Thank you for your input.
Summer is HOT and long (4 months for the REAL heat) but it's more bearable to me than Phoenix. I've only been to Phoenix twice, but to Las Vegas quite a few times (used to live in San Diego so we drove over 2-3 times /year).
I remember standing on the roof of a hotel in September around 10-12 and thinking "Oh my G*d! It still feels like an oven out here!"
TO ME I'll take 90 and humid with a light breeze over 105 and dry. Yes, dry beats humid, but once you get above 100 -- it's HOT!

NATURE-WISE, in Miami and SoFla, it's really all centerd around the ocean. Ft Lauderdale is the yachting and boating capital of the US and Miami isn't too far behind. I have lot's of friends that either fish, scuba dive, spearfish or all 3. THAT really can't be beat anywhere in the US (maybe Hawaii.)

Other than that, Miami is a very social city -- going out to eat, concerts, movies -- there's TONS to do, but most cost $. We do find ourselves at friends houses for small get-togethers/parties much more often than in SD, that's cheap.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Last edited by planetsurf; 09-17-2008 at 05:59 PM..

Old 09-17-2008, 05:47 PM

188 posts, read 587,674 times
I stayed in Phoenix for one night in Mid July one year. We arrived at 5:00 PM and have never felt such intense heat in all my life.
The heat here doesn't compare. You can go outside during the day with no problem. I wouldn't say the showers cool things down though. Most of the time the showers make it a little more muggy. There are plenty hot days but there is usually some sort of breeze. I would take Miami heat over Phoenix heat any day.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:00 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,047,410 times
pheonix is DRY HEAT which is not that bad. Wait till you feel the sticky wet HUMID heat where your testicals start sweating and sticking together after only being 10 minutes outside walking in summer. I kid you not. Its disgusting....the heat is disgusting. Stay in pheonix ! Believe me...the grass is NOT greener on the other side

Old 09-18-2008, 06:31 AM

854 posts, read 2,862,121 times
I've never been to Phoenix, but I'd guess it's just about as dry as SW-Kansas (used to live over there for a few months) or Las Vegas. I for example don't mind the humidity anymore. In fact, since I always have problems with my eyes being too dry etc, the humidity helps quite a bit to keep them comfortable. And another plus for me, I don't sweat a lot anyway

Old 09-18-2008, 07:16 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,317 times
I drove from Flagstaff back to the east coast this summer in mid-july and experienced some of the intense dry heat of the west.

I lived the majority of my life in Miami.

Based on these experiences, I can honestly say I'd rather have a dry 105* day than a 90*+70% humidity day. Let's not forget heat indices. Check out the NWS's heat index chart to see how humidity effects things. When you are in dry heat, your body's natural cooling ability can still work - your sweat evaporates quickly, cooling your skin and core temp. Yes, you have to watch out for dehydration, but that is obvious.

In a very humid climate like Miami's, your body's natural cooling system cannot work. Your sweat does not evaporate, but rather collects on your skin, trapping heat in. Heat stroke is a danger, especially if you like to do strenuous activity outdoors, such as running. I used to run year-round in Miami, and there is rarely any time of the year when it is not humid. After running for 30 minutes I would look like I had jumped in a swimming pool because very little (if any) of my sweat had evaporated. Unless you are at the beach, the "sea breeze" doesn't really make a whole lot of difference in what you feel. The rain doesn't really make things more comfortable, instead it makes things extremely humid, and you can often see steam coming off the pavement.

I think the biggest difference in climate besides humidity is the nighttime temps. In the western arid climates, nighttime temps can drop precipitously, giving a little bit of relief at night.

Phoenix Avg. Temps from City-Data:
//pics2.city-data.com/w1/lha989.png (broken link)

Phoenix Avg. Humidity:
//pics2.city-data.com/w2/hum989.png (broken link)

In Miami, this does not happen, so you have hot and sticky 24 hours a day from about May to November.

Miami Avg. Temps from City-Data:
//pics2.city-data.com/w1/lha3704.png (broken link)

Avg. Humidity:
//pics2.city-data.com/w2/hum3704.png (broken link)

Bottom line is that some people like humidity and others don't. I personally don't believe that it is something you can get used to, since I spent my whole life in Miami's subtropical climate and still hate heat+humidity. Likewise, I'm sure people who don't like the extremely hot, arid climate out west never really acclimate to it either. So it boils down to whether you're a humidity person or not, I guess. We are all different, so no one else can speak for your comfort.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:41 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,448,766 times
Miami had 313 days in 2007 in the 80s and 90s, read that again 313 days. Thats 10 months of hot and/or humid weather. We really didn't get a break from the summer weather, which I hate btw.

I have never been to Phoenix, but I have been to Denver when its 90F and there is no comparison to a dry heat and humidity, humidity is worse by far. We sat outside and had a nice lunch in 90F (dry heat), I could never do that in Miami, I would be drenched in sweat. If you are having a hard time with the dry heat already, forget South Florida because the humidity is worse. I was born here in South Florida and spend about 10 months out of the year mostly indoors during the daytime, because of our heat/humidity. At least Phonix gets a break and has a simi winter. There are people that say you get used to the humidity, I am sorry, but they are just full of it...

As far as the showers question, yes the showers cool us off a little, but it doesn't help as much as you would think as the showers are short usually, so don't do to much. Right before a shower the humidity gets to 100% and its misrable outside.

As far as entertainment, well that really depends on the individual. There are some people that think Miami is pretty boring than there are people that think the party/Club scene here is great and so think Miami has great entertainment. It really depends on what you are into.

Another thing, I really think that because we have such warm weather we do not celebrate the holidays like they should be celebrated. Christmas is suppose to have a slight crisp in the air at the very least, when its 80F+ outside on Christmas, that doesn't put you in the holiday spirit. Also in October and November, we really don't celebrate the Fall like we are suppose too. Or the 4th of July, its just way to hot, humid and mosquitos are out at that time, so you don't really enjoy the 4th like the rest of the country does. I can go on and on about this subject.

Anyplace in Southeast will have humidity to the point you will not want to go outside for a portion of the year, but South Florida IMO, is a 10 month out of the year hot and humid place I don't like to go outside. It wasn't this way when I was a child, global warming.... Make sure to come for a long vacation a few times before you decide wether South Florida weather wise is right for you, and also look at other places, maybe North florida they get a cooler winter (a break from the heat unlike South Florida) in the 60s/70s for a few months at least. Or Georgia or the Carolinas, they have better year round weather than we do.

Last edited by doggiebus; 09-18-2008 at 07:55 AM..

Old 09-18-2008, 07:44 AM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
U guys are scarin me

I guess 70 and boring will have to do. Yipes

Old 09-18-2008, 07:55 AM

32 posts, read 99,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephens52 View Post

There is no sea breeze. When the sun goes down and you would think its cooler, forget it. The humidity does not let the heat dissipate.
The same way wind chill is to the cold, humidity is to heat. It intensifies it. Afternoon showers fall on scorching pavement and concrete makes going outside the equivalent of stepping into a sauna or a steam bath. As a result, the humidity being so thick its difficult to catch your breath and effects people with asthma.

Theres alot to do if you can afford it. As for entertainment, most people go out to restaurants or clubbing. There are alot of loose women everywhere. Everyone down here is on some type of prescription and/or illicit drug.

You better learn how to speak spanish. Most spanish people down here dont bother learning english. Since they are so many, they can get by without having to speak or learn english.

Its a great crazy town. Come on down and see for yourself.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:37 AM

710 posts, read 2,232,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
U guys are scarin me

I guess 70 and boring will have to do. Yipes
I LOVED the weather in San Diego ... I'll take the grey, overcast mornings and a cool grey winter for clear and warm afternoons the rest of the year.
BUT my wife didn't like it at all -- she GREATLY prefers the heat in Miami.

I think I agree that you are either "built" to handle the heat or not. Like in Phoenix, you can get used to how to handle the heat, tactics, when to go out, how to dress, but in the end it either works for you or not.
My kids are a perfect example... My son is slammed by the heat - I pick him up every day from school and he's sticky and flushed.
My daughter looks like she just got out of a refrigerator! She could be outside all day, her body just handles it better.
ME, I mow my own lawn; when I'm done I take my shoes off (outside), take my DRENCHED shirt off and hose myself off outside just to clean-up and start the "cooling off" process. I can handle it, but it is DRENCHING to do something like mow a lawn in the summer.

Here is the weather today:
Miami as of 12:53 PM
Mostly Cloudy
Temperature: 86°
Wind: NE 13 mph
Dew point: 71°
Pressure: 29.97 in.
Heat Index: 92°
Humidity: 61%
Visibility: 10.0 miles

A decent breeze blowing -- it's all relative but it's kind of nice today!

5 Day:
T-storms T-storms T-storms T-storms T-storms
90° | 74° 88° | 74° 88° | 76° 88° | 76° 88° | 76°

stephens52, you just need to come down and see which one you are for yourself -- I don't think it's something you can judge from a message board.

Last edited by planetsurf; 09-18-2008 at 12:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami