Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 09:06 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times

Advertisements

Here is the problem with sperlings. That data is probably from 1985. They don't even cite their resources.

Here is one thing you can DEFINITELY tell it outdated...

The unemployment rate in Fort Lauderdale (zip not tellin) is 2.90 percent(U.S. avg. is 4.60%). Recent job growth is Positive. Fort Lauderdale (zip not tellin) jobs have Increased by 1.66 percent.

2.9%?!?!?! Yeah right!

Another "yeah right"!

Air Quality (100=best) 8

That is just blatantly incorrect and any look at the EPA airnow website will prove that.

It says that the property crime index in my zip code was "4". That could maybe be so in 1999 when there was a rash of burglaries in Weston. I bet that is when the data is from, although you really can't tell because all of this data is all over the map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 09:09 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Here is the problem with sperlings. That data is probably from 1985. They don't even cite their resources.
The data is from 2007, says in the first line under ZIP CODE OVERVIEW. If you go to the bottom of the page they have a link to their sources here is the link Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed, link removed

Last edited by Yac; 11-14-2008 at 05:07 AM..

Old 09-23-2008, 01:20 PM

483 posts, read 1,544,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
So here is my crime for my zip code in East Kendall "a good area" based on Sperlings.

Miami (zip 00000), FL, violent crime, on a scale from 1 (low crime) to 10, is 6. Violent crime is composed of four offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. The US average is 3.

Miami (zip 00000), FL, property crime, on a scale from 1 (low) to 10, is 7. Property crime includes the offenses of burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, and arson. The object of the theft-type offenses is the taking of money or property, but there is no force or threat of force against the victims. The US average is 3.

Then on the Miamidade.gov site in a 1.34 mile area around me the crime for the last month and a half. Again "a good area" of Miami, not bad.
4 Burglary
2 Auto Theft Stolen
1 Auto Theft
1 Auto Theft Foreign Stolen
8 All Incidents
Based on the information off that website my neighborhood here in Hialeah is one of the excellent ones in Miami. My crime index numbers were 3 and 2.
The miamidade.gov website must only report crime in unincorporated Dade because as far as I could the website reported no crime.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:23 PM
SWV

445 posts, read 1,337,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
There's a difference between privacy and safety and then comes paranoia.
Lol Agreed!

Old 09-23-2008, 06:51 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerMan View Post
Based on the information off that website my neighborhood here in Hialeah is one of the excellent ones in Miami. My crime index numbers were 3 and 2.
The miamidade.gov website must only report crime in unincorporated Dade because as far as I could the website reported no crime.
Yes, it only has unincorporated Miami-Dade County. So you will not be able to get info on incorporated cities like Coral Gables, Hialeah, Pinecrest, etc. Its for unincorporated Miami-Dade mainly.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:06 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,248,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post

This othersite will give you some great info Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed, link removed It will give you on a scale of 1-10 what the crime rate is for certain crimes compared to the rest of the country.

Excellent, West Palm Beach is considered an 8 out of 10!

Last edited by Yac; 11-14-2008 at 05:05 AM..

Old 09-23-2008, 07:20 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,595 times
I'm sick and tired of these claims. I went to Miami on holiday weekend and experienced no problems. Anyone who claims that you need to carry weaponry on your person to survive in greater Miami is patently bogus.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:57 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Compelled to Reply's personal police blotter

2006- A burglar stole a pack of gum and spare change out of an unlocked car at a hotel parking lot, Lawrenceville, GA

2006- Somebody pickpocketed Mr. Compelled of a 20 dollar bill, Miami, FL

2006- A burglar stole a pack of gum (again?!?!?!), a sunpass (Why?!? It was in NC), spare change and a few cds by cracking the lock of a car, Huntersville, NC

and (surprise)

Two days ago- A burglar stole a pair of worn-out sunglasses out of an unlocked car, Weston, FL. I did not contact police.

I have a feeling I know exactly who it was too, and they post on here. You turned on me!
I don't know !! You did say a burglar.... I prefer burgler After hearing this ... I can definitely tell Miami is a warzone ! Everybody, If you are reading this, don't come to Miami you will be a victim of hate-crimes and burglaries!

If you guys think Miami is dangerous, you should go to my old Hood up in MaliBU

Old 09-24-2008, 07:58 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerMan View Post
Just compared my old zip code in Orlando and ... Income per capita is $2,000 lower here. median household income is $7,000 higher here.
Another sign of paradise (NOT!) -- that more people in each family have to work here than families in other places. I'm surprised the average is only $2k lower.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:07 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,248,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I don't know !! You did say a burglar.... I prefer burgler After hearing this ... I can definitely tell Miami is a warzone ! Everybody, If you are reading this, don't come to Miami you will be a victim of hate-crimes and burglaries!

If you guys think Miami is dangerous, you should go to my old Hood up in MaliBU
Well, the problem is, everyone's perceptions of an area can be different based upon where you live. You live in Coconut Grove so of course you're going to love it, but if you lived in the actual city of Miami then you might have a different view of crime and other issues. You just have to see where others are coming from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami