Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2007, 12:16 AM

54 posts, read 337,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclehead View Post
People are just not understanding my point ... I am not blaming murder on just rap music ... it plays a role in the overall degradation in society ... crass , rude , thug attitude , degradation of women , killing cops , easy money , bling and all that crap that is a negative influence on the young and ignorant . Yes , it is violent and yes heavy metal also had it's negative effects .... but who listens to heavy metal anymore ... not aware of any kids that still listen to it ?

I would not bet that the guy who killed the 31 people at Virginia Tech did not listen to rap ... why would you be so sure he did not ?

I sure bet all of the gangsta types that are killing each other every day in Palm Beach County , Dade and Broward listen to plenty of rap ... the two guys who were shot and killed last night at that club in Sunrise were not listening to Mozart !!!!

One last note as I do not want to be drawn into a long argument over rap music as no one will change my mind as to how much I hate that genre ..... one of my neighbors is a Palm Beach cop , recently married to a physical therapist and he assures me that "rap" and "gangsta " culture is a common denominator in all of these gang killings and much of the overall youth violence in South Florida .... this coming from a 25 year old cop , who sometimes listens to the stuff himself !!!
well seen as most street gangs are made up of PRIMARILY inner city youths, it would seem logical that rap would be their music of choice..because it's what's popular and it's what they can relate to..can they relate themselves to mozart? no...and if they were listening to mozart instead of rap artists, would that make Mozart trash? If they listened to the Beetles, wold that make the Beetles crap?

its just music. People can see much worse things on the nightly news. The problem down here isn't the music. It's the environment. Kids see other kids making money from drugs, so they want to make that money too. Kids see other kids acting tough, so therefore they think they have to also to impress their peers.

Yeah, I'm sure rap has it's links to violence, but it's not a major nor the only factor involved. Do you really think if they pulled all the rap albums off the shelves, the violence would stop? it wouldn't. because rap IS NOT the problem.

And FYI, NEVER draw comparisons between rap music and hip hop music...yes, the beats of the song and rhyme technique are similar, but the lyrical content is nothing alike.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:29 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauderdale954 View Post
well seen as most street gangs are made up of PRIMARILY inner city youths, it would seem logical that rap would be their music of choice..because it's what's popular and it's what they can relate to..can they relate themselves to mozart? no...and if they were listening to mozart instead of rap artists, would that make Mozart trash? If they listened to the Beetles, wold that make the Beetles crap?

its just music. People can see much worse things on the nightly news. The problem down here isn't the music. It's the environment. Kids see other kids making money from drugs, so they want to make that money too. Kids see other kids acting tough, so therefore they think they have to also to impress their peers.

Yeah, I'm sure rap has it's links to violence, but it's not a major nor the only factor involved. Do you really think if they pulled all the rap albums off the shelves, the violence would stop? it wouldn't. because rap IS NOT the problem.

And FYI, NEVER draw comparisons between rap music and hip hop music...yes, the beats of the song and rhyme technique are similar, but the lyrical content is nothing alike.

I hear both sides of the story....i like alot of rap music for the flow of the words and the beats..but the message is not good for kids who dont understand where the lyrics are truly coming from......if you were sitting in your car at a stop light and listening to a couple tracks from a rap cd.....and some guy stops at the same light right next to you and he looks over at you and is just wondering what color your car is...then you see him looking at your direction and the rap music influences you to stick up for yourself and not let anyone stare you down or have disrespect for you....well you roll your window down and say whats up?...why u lookin at me?.....then the guy says i was just looking at your car....then you say you should mind your own buisness.....

All i am saying is that the lyrics that are in the music can influence a certain attitude in a person and if you change channels and listen to soft rock you get a different feeling....as if you dont need to fight someone for staring at your car

Old 09-23-2007, 08:03 AM

440 posts, read 1,494,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauderdale954 View Post

Whatever ....... I respect your opinion , just do not agree with it . The "thug " lifestyle including being "street" and "bad" , dressing like a damn fool , gold chains , nasty and denigrating to females ... is not just an inner city thing it is strongly influencing our suburbs as well , anyhow I will not continue to waste anymore time on this thread . You are entitled to your opinion and so am I and nothing will change my mind on the subject .

Old 09-23-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
I hear both sides of the story....i like alot of rap music for the flow of the words and the beats..but the message is not good for kids who dont understand where the lyrics are truly coming from......if you were sitting in your car at a stop light and listening to a couple tracks from a rap cd.....and some guy stops at the same light right next to you and he looks over at you and is just wondering what color your car is...then you see him looking at your direction and the rap music influences you to stick up for yourself and not let anyone stare you down or have disrespect for you....well you roll your window down and say whats up?...why u lookin at me?.....then the guy says i was just looking at your car....then you say you should mind your own buisness.....

All i am saying is that the lyrics that are in the music can influence a certain attitude in a person and if you change channels and listen to soft rock you get a different feeling....as if you dont need to fight someone for staring at your car
I understand the point you are making very clearly and I agree with you 100% I just do not understand why some people cannot see this ?

I have had cars pull up next to me at a red light with their "rap" noise so loud I cannot hear myself think and wow do not even contemplate looking over at them for fear of "disrespecting " them . In my case it is funny as I really like R&B as it is soulful beautiful music but it is always grouped together with hip hop / rap for some reason ?

Old 09-23-2007, 12:37 PM

385 posts, read 1,891,038 times
want to get rid of violence then counter what rap music talks about. no jobs, lack of parenting, and the violent society in which it was brought up in.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:54 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times
Musclehead you might even grow to like some hip-hop one day...In fact I was just listening to 'The Pharcyde: Bizarre Ride II' last night and it put me in a good mood... no rapping about killing people, no violent lyrics, no degrading women... just real, feel-good hip-hop...

Old 09-23-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Musclehead you might even grow to like some hip-hop one day...In fact I was just listening to 'The Pharcyde: Bizarre Ride II' last night and it put me in a good mood... no rapping about killing people, no violent lyrics, no degrading women... just real, feel-good hip-hop...

PBCBoy : I have actually tried listening to the more commercial or lightweight hip hop and man I just cannot get into it at all .. it does not move me ... maybe I am missing out on something great .... but I just do not enjoy it as it is not pleasing to me . Give me some soulful R&B or some Jazz ... anyhow I guess to each his own . I would rather talk about the Dolphins and much they suck anyhow ... wow losing to the Jets talk about the fall of a once proud franchise !!!

Old 09-24-2007, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackklight View Post
want to get rid of violence then counter what rap music talks about. no jobs, lack of parenting, and the violent society in which it was brought up in.

Yeah it talks about that stuff but the solutions are to be "in tha game" and get money "any" way you can....which means if you have to take something someone else worked for or if you do things that might hurt other people....it is basically saying fu#$@@ everyone else because they werent there for "you" so just look out for yourself and dont worry bout who you hurt to get where you want to be in life.......the lack of parenting thing is just rappers own experiences and in the end what is the positive results of having a lack of parenting in the lyrics?.....the result is that you are the way you are because you had no father or no mother....there really isnt lyrics that say to do positive things after going through that situation.....They rap about the violent society but instead of telling kids guns are bad they say "don't be a fool" and "protect yourself cuz no one else will".....pack that gun but dont shoot until someone tests you or disrespects you....

I admit that i love the beats and the rythm that the artists flow thier words to, but i just find that when i am in a group of younger people that if you listen to other than rap then you are cast out and if you do listen to rap then it just puts you in this mood where you think you are going through some street sh$$#% when actually you are just living life and struggling like most other people......

I got robbed at gunpoint and i am not afraid to fight if im challenged ....does just that make me from the streets or more of a man?......i grew up in Northwest Dade and i was influenced alot by hip-hop culture and after i had an overdose on some drugs i prayed to God and i felt like the only way to clean up my life was to stop putting things into my ears and eyes that are negative in thier intent....and after a while of doing that...i realized how blind i was just because i loved the rythm of rap music and the beats ....i was addicted to music that sounded good but the message was getting into my soul and making me someone that my mother didnt raise me to be......

Old 09-24-2007, 04:57 AM

385 posts, read 1,891,038 times
lol sounds a lot like me. the problem is in the real world no one gives a f*** about you and that's all they are saying. the meaning of almost any rap song is basically this.

"look what you've done america, we are here, poor, hungry, and with no resolution. i gotta do what i gotta do to survive."

if i had no money and was hungry would i rob someone? of course. is this because of rap music? no. go back to ancient times and if you can't find food and this other cave man has food and you're hungry you're gonna rob him. does this mean cavemen where thugs? no. it means they did what they had to do to stay alive.

i have a lot of songs that mention getting into the "game" (selling for those who are unfamiliar) is not worth it, and although most mainstream rappers glorify this a lot of them are actually fake. if i had no job and couldn't find one and the option was presented - why not. jfk's family got up by slanging why can't i. THAT. that is the hood mentality.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackklight View Post
lol sounds a lot like me. the problem is in the real world no one gives a f*** about you and that's all they are saying. the meaning of almost any rap song is basically this.

"look what you've done america, we are here, poor, hungry, and with no resolution. i gotta do what i gotta do to survive."

if i had no money and was hungry would i rob someone? of course. is this because of rap music? no. go back to ancient times and if you can't find food and this other cave man has food and you're hungry you're gonna rob him. does this mean cavemen where thugs? no. it means they did what they had to do to stay alive.

i have a lot of songs that mention getting into the "game" (selling for those who are unfamiliar) is not worth it, and although most mainstream rappers glorify this a lot of them are actually fake. if i had no job and couldn't find one and the option was presented - why not. jfk's family got up by slanging why can't i. THAT. that is the hood mentality.

I don't think i would rob anyone.....i used to steal beer and candy all the time from the store when i lived in Miami but i was wrong and that was a time that i regret.......but i believe that its not the right thing to do and something i was taught as a kid told me to get away from those things and influences.....on top of the drug overdose that i had...i knew i was on the wrong path after that......but i moved on from that and thought i would rather die knowing i held my beliefs than to die doing things that my mother and God wouldnt be proud of me doing......I actually lived out of a station wagon as a kid at one point.....and as a teen after my parents divorced i was stuck living with my father and he was so depressed that he never bought food....and as the weeks went by the food in his fridge would go down and down until there was a pack of batteries and a pack of old bolonge in there ....

i was 16 and i had a job working at PAPA Johns pizza in Miami Lakes but i had to quit after the divorce because my mom moved to Tennessee and i couldnt go with her because she was moving with someone elses family from our Karate class and they only had room for my brother up there at the time.....then my brother came back to Miami and my father told him there wasnt enough room for him in his apartment .....

i was sleeping in the living room but i would have slept out there with my brother but my father was an a-hole....and my bro ended up living at old friends houses some nights then at swimming pools in apartment complexes then at parks ..ect.......well one day there was no food at all and it was like that for about 2 or 3 days and i had no way to get to work and i had been out of work for a month at that time.....

well my brother rode his bike (that a friend let him use) and came by the apartment when my father was at work....well he towed me on the front of his bike and i went and sold all of my baseball/basketball cards (which were my only possesion worth anything)...i made about 20 dollars...we went to taco bell (me and my brother)....and we went there for the next couple days off of that money......then that ran out and there was still no food from my father because he was broken by losing the marraige....well i guess he was eating small while at his job but he lost alot of weight and looked pale alot of the time ......

anyways it ended up to where me and my brother where out in front of Sedanos over by American High begging people for money to make a phone call until we got enough quarters to get something to eat ....and we did that for a few days ...then LUCKLILY MY MOTHER WAS ABLE TO BORROW SOME MONEY TO GET US PLANE TICKETS TO MOVE UP THERE WITH THE FAMILY THAT SHE WAS STAYING WITH AND WE ENDED UP IN nASHVILLE (sorry bout the caps lock..it got stuck)....

but we were in Nashville me and my brother were living in the basement of that families house (it was cold as hell down there in those first months because it was winter time) ...but we ended up getting government help and got into a low income apartment complex in a nice suburb in Nashville...there were poor people there but we were the same so it never seemed weird to us......but my whole point is that even when i was a little kid and lived in the station wagon and when i was i teen going through that experience...i didnt rob anybody just because i was hungry ....because my mother (and father.....ill give him credit for the younger years)......must have said something that stuck with me and made me think about what was the right thing to do in life when you are down and out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami