Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 01:03 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,781 times

Advertisements

Overtown/Liberty City

Old 06-02-2012, 11:31 PM

15 posts, read 27,934 times
CSI:Miami is wildly inaccurate and it's quite obvious to anyone who has spent any sort of time in Miami. They showed some residential neighborhood they were trying to pass as "Coral Gables" in one episode and there were raised curbs, cars parked on the street, and no headstone street signs. In another episode they also referred to SW 42nd St. and SW 137th Ave. as OVERTOWN. If you want to get a more accurate portrayal of Miami, at least scenery wise, watch Burn Notice. They actually film it here.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:19 AM

984 posts, read 4,316,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadster91 View Post
CSI:Miami is wildly inaccurate and it's quite obvious to anyone who has spent any sort of time in Miami. They showed some residential neighborhood they were trying to pass as "Coral Gables" in one episode and there were raised curbs, cars parked on the street, and no headstone street signs. In another episode they also referred to SW 42nd St. and SW 137th Ave. as OVERTOWN. If you want to get a more accurate portrayal of Miami, at least scenery wise, watch Burn Notice. They actually film it here.
Yes, it's completely silly. I think of that show as a somewhat worsened version of 48 Hours (A&E), which is the real deal, sometimes it was filmed here in Miami together with the MPD, I even know personally some of the Dets. there of the Homicide Division.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,872 times
I was born and raised in Miami and have lived in a lot of areas so called good ones (Morningside, Miami Shores El Portal. I recently bought a house in what has been branded a bad area and I have to say most of these comments are elitist bordering on rascist.
I have expierenced more crime in the "good neighborhoods" and more of my neighbors did as well. I must admit in the 80's and 90's it was dicey, but if you weren't where you shouldn't be to be a victum of a crime was rare.
Attitudes need to change, because a family is not wealthly does not mean that they aren't as desirious of a safe neighborhood as any other family.
By the way I've lived in my new home in Model city for a year now and my neighbors are tremendous. This is a family nieghborhood, no different from any other except it's a little more culturally diverse.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:59 PM

3 posts, read 8,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoricoco View Post
Miami is more peaceful than parts of Lancaster County. I know Lebanon and they are having shootouts everyday. Seems that the mob is moving to the area.
Yes, Lebanon city and Lancaster city are bad, but not near as bad as Reading.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:22 AM

419 posts, read 998,545 times
Im not going to do 5 ill do Top 7 best IMO

1. Miami Beach ( includes surrounding islands)
2. Aventura
3. Brickell
4. Golden Beach
5. Bal Harbour.
6. Coral Gables
7. Pinecrest

WORST ones?

Everything that is not mentioned on the top 7 looks like the ghetto....

Basically anything near the ocean is good, everything else, I wouldn't recommend.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:49 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendjohn View Post
what are the worst neighborhoods in Miami and which are the best.Would appreciate the information
These are very subjective questions. Best based on what? Crime, Big Houses, Urban Living etc etc? Best means something different to each individual.

For me best would be:

The Grove
Downtown Miami
Brickell
South Beach (close to Lincoln Road)

The rest have to many issues for me to consider them. For example, I do not like suburban sprawl, so the suburbs are not a consideration. The areas that I do like that are not suburban sprawl (excluding the above mentioned places) have TERRIBLE grade schools, which render them useless to me and my family.

As for Worst

Overtown and Liberty city? Outside of that, I don't find anything terribly alarming.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,597 times
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Cutler Bay. I'm not a fan of the large developments there, but off of Caribbean Blvd, where the streets have Caribbean and Latin-American names like Montego Bay, Condado, Martinique, Gulf Stream, Nicaragua, etc, there are a lot of nice little houses. It's a clean "working-class" area, usually quiet, low-crime, mixed race, close to major roads....Ideal for people seeking a slice of the sub-tropical pie but don't have the millions to invest in a Coral Gables mansion. The only thing that will attack you there is a hungry mosquito. Rush hour traffic can be a drag, but it rarely comes to a stand-still.

Just wanted to put that out there.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:11 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,194,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlorlnycmia View Post
Ideal for people seeking a slice of the sub-tropical pie but don't have the millions to invest in a Coral Gables mansion. .

Old 12-21-2012, 01:00 PM

118 posts, read 371,987 times
Key Biscayne is really nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami