Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2007, 08:05 AM

440 posts, read 1,495,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauderdale954 View Post
first off..miami beach is ranked one the most dangerous cities in the country..moving on..

miami IS NOT like any other metro area..if you walk thru overtown, you will literally feel like you have just entered another country..the poverty, drugs in the open, fearlessness of police, and murders in broad daylight are unbelievable..I can honestly say, if you are not from overtown and you go thru there unprepared, you are in grave danger.

Liberty city is very bad too. recently i read a story, where a man got lost in liberty city going to his kids birthday party..when he stopped to ask a man for directions, the man pulled out a gun, shot him point blank in the head, robbed him, and left him for dead..not that is not unusual in miami..yes, there is crime in other areas..but the overall living in nothing compared to how bad miami really is
You gotta love when people post these statistics with nothing to back up there claims ..... Miami Beach one of the most dangerous cities in the country ..... puleeeezzze show me where you got your data ?

I actually like Miami Beach , as it is one of the only places in Dade County that I frequent and other than wandering into the hip hop Memorial Day weekend thing a couple of years ago after moving here from Tampa , I have never felt in danger there in any way .

Please explain to me why you would EVER have any reason to walk thru Overtown or Liberty City ..... murders in broad daylight , wow does this occur every day or is the media just keeping this from concerned citizens like you

Yes , these parts of Miami are dumps and any one with half a brain that lives down here will avoid them . Please post something insightful next time

Old 09-19-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackklight View Post
musclehead, i do not think blaming the hip hop culture is the appropriate form of addressing crime. truth of the matter is most of the people who are into it (of course you have fakes, like any other "culture") is because they came up tough and relate a lot to the music produced. i have not been to overtown but i've been to a few of the notorious areas and have not felt like i was in harms way, live here long enough and you too will develop this skill. it's called the skill of "i could care less"

Hip Hop and "gangsta " culture is just part of the problem , as well as the PC culture we are fostering where everything is cool and ok , just do not get caught . The Springer crowd and the MTV crowd are also part of the problem ... I am not blaming Hip Hop culture for everything but it sure is a vital component to what is happening now with our society and youth in general . By the way I will turn 27 next month , so I am not my Dad talking here . I have seen how vile and crass the "gangsta " and "thug " thing is and how it is affecting young kids and I see no end in sight .

Old 09-19-2007, 01:46 PM

385 posts, read 1,891,304 times
you should understand then that the beginning of the hip hop culture was people trying to PREVENT crime and was simply trying to let it be known that (for the most part) the way they are living and what they are seeing isn't right. it's a form of getting the word out that their neighborhoods need help. did the government listen? no, crime.

do not get hip hop and rap mixed up - although even rap isn't really harmful to the youth as in order for you to listen to it you'd have to have already been exposed to the lifestyle or already be into what it is they're talking about (case for most people.)

saying hip hop or rap is causing crimes is as valid an argument as saying everyone who listens to country lives on a farm and owns cattle. might a few? yes. do all? no.

i've frequented what most people consider the worse area of miami, liberty city, and i was never in harms way. i have heard shots go off but i've heard them even here in hialeah, which i believe isn't even near liberty city in the crime aspect. the reason i believe people think these areas are bad is because of deep rooted racism - who lives in most of the "bad" areas? blacks. what do racist people consider black people? bad. go figure.

do not misunderstand me - there is a possibility of being robbed in liberty city and in any area in general as i am always aware of my surroundings when walking around those type of areas but i believe a lot of the hype of the areas being terrible is because of it's black residents.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:31 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,247,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclehead View Post
You gotta love when people post these statistics with nothing to back up there claims ..... Miami Beach one of the most dangerous cities in the country ..... puleeeezzze show me where you got your data ?

I actually like Miami Beach , as it is one of the only places in Dade County that I frequent and other than wandering into the hip hop Memorial Day weekend thing a couple of years ago after moving here from Tampa , I have never felt in danger there in any way .

Please explain to me why you would EVER have any reason to walk thru Overtown or Liberty City ..... murders in broad daylight , wow does this occur every day or is the media just keeping this from concerned citizens like you

Yes , these parts of Miami are dumps and any one with half a brain that lives down here will avoid them . Please post something insightful next time
Seriously! Those areas only represent a minor portion of the entire city of Miami. I find it interesting that his name is Lauderdale, probably because he lives in Fort Lauderdale (I'm guessing). Even though Fort Lauderdale has much lower crime rates than West Palm Beach and Miami, there are rough areas to avoid there too. Does that make the whole city terrible?

West Miami, many parts of SW Miami, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, Aventura, Miami Beach.... these are all beautiful areas and in Dade county.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:39 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,247,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackklight View Post
the reason i believe people think these areas are bad is because of deep rooted racism - who lives in most of the "bad" areas? blacks. what do racist people consider black people? bad. go figure.

do not misunderstand me - there is a possibility of being robbed in liberty city and in any area in general as i am always aware of my surroundings when walking around those type of areas but i believe a lot of the hype of the areas being terrible is because of it's black residents.
That is not true. The reason why people don't like these areas is because they're dangerous, ugly, and dirty - period. And if you want to talk about racism in these areas, how about the riots over 25 years ago in Liberty City against ANGLO citizens in Miami?

Anyway, as for the whole hip-hop argument, I'm a huge fan of hip-hop and I am doing just fine (though most of the modern artists today are atrocious). There are plenty of artists like Gang Starr, Dead Prez, Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five, and Public Enemy that have positive and intelligent messages. Broken families, poverty, mental illness and other more serious factors contribute to the lives of criminals.

The sad thing is, often when there's a shooting they try to blame it on violent video games. Holding a gun in real life is far different than holding a gun in a video game.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:48 PM

54 posts, read 337,985 times
miami GARDENS..my mistake..Musclehead, or should I say ********, these murders do not occur daily, but do occur often.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:08 PM

yeah i know pbcboy but a lot of the hispanic people i've spoken to are like "the city? you're crazy!!" and then i reply with "have you been there?" they reply "no." a lot of the people in the worse areas are actually some of the nicest people you'll meet as they are usually less judgmental and faster to make a friend than some upper-class snot.

the problem with miami and miami-dade is that in my opinion there are more areas to avoid than to go to. basically any area in northwest miami is a plague, the lower northeast avenues are horrid as well (hello overtown), and if you go southwest you get areas like cutler bay and florida city. central miami is also bad (allapattah, wynwood, heights) those area areas known for being risky but there have been drive by's in south beach (relatively nice area).

Old 09-19-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauderdale954 View Post
miami GARDENS..my mistake..Musclehead, or should I say ********, these murders do not occur daily, but do occur often.

Miami Gardens ..... Miami Beach ... yeah people make that mistake all of the time .... that is like comparing Coral Gables and Carol City ... do you blame me for calling you out on your little "mistake " ?

By the way I do not know what you called me as it was deleted / censored , but I was not offensive or vulgar to you . It does not take much courage to offend someone while sitting somewhere in front of a computer tucked away in your little room there ....... but you showed some true class there ...... have a nice life .

Old 09-19-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
That is not true. The reason why people don't like these areas is because they're dangerous, ugly, and dirty - period. And if you want to talk about racism in these areas, how about the riots over 25 years ago in Liberty City against ANGLO citizens in Miami?

Anyway, as for the whole hip-hop argument, I'm a huge fan of hip-hop and I am doing just fine (though most of the modern artists today are atrocious). There are plenty of artists like Gang Starr, Dead Prez, Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five, and Public Enemy that have positive and intelligent messages. Broken families, poverty, mental illness and other more serious factors contribute to the lives of criminals.

The sad thing is, often when there's a shooting they try to blame it on violent video games. Holding a gun in real life is far different than holding a gun in a video game.
PBC Boy you are correct race has nothing to do with it , yes those areas are nasty and dangerous .... someone always has to inject race . Ok let's not call it hip hop , call the negative influence "gangsta rap " .... it is nasty and ghetto , crass and low life and I mean the "thug " lifestyle more than the music . You are obviously a smart guy and have a head on your shoulders ... many of these "wannabes " cannot say the same and are easily influenced .

I do not want to get into a long drawn out discussion on this genre , but I only call it as I see it .

Old 09-19-2007, 07:56 PM

the problem is the fact you pulled the hip hop card on crime. this is the typical uninformed american view on what they don't understand. hip hop music is about struggle, if you're rich, have never been exposed to crime or a hard life, chances are you don't really listen to it. sure, you have a few select who do because they like it's flow, but those aren't the ones who you'd suspect to commit crime (and they usually don't unless trying to prove themselves to be "real").

then you have the "other" group who listen to the music because they can relate to it. my point is that people who listen to hip hop (keep in mind, hip hop, not rap, there IS a difference) already went through excessive drama and found a song they relate to. if you'd step out of the shell for a minute you'd see it's not a "thug mentality" it's a "survival mentality." hip hop music is about struggle and making it against all odds. the mentality was there before the music.

what do you think of when you hear the word thug? a black or hispanic man with an oversized shirt and slouched jeans? i figured. a thug is someone who succeeded or is trying to succeed despite the odds being stacked against them. the only people i can see being wannabes are people who haven't been through trouble yet follow the lifestyle and they aren't the people you have to worry for anyways.

i can now see why you have trouble in the "bad" areas of miami. if you are saying listening to music is causing violence you might as well say food commercials are causing obesity. same logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami