Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 09:50 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,461,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxie_baby View Post
You are right "to each his own" but, I dont understand how you can come down to say that they are ugly? There are people that cut their ears, tail and make them look very scary or whatnot but, UGLY? Naa, you are incorrect, And frankly, thats a bold comment to say about something that you are not too familiar with. Yeah, ugly!

Yeah, really ugly...

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh86/f20milo/zzzzzpitbull.jpg (broken link)

wow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 11:40 PM

15 posts, read 130,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Chihuahuas may be more aggressive towards people stats wise, but pits are most likely more aggressive towards other animals. Also the bit of a pit vs the bit of Chihuahua is very different. Have you ever seen a pit attack another animal, I have and its not pretty and they don't just let go. I have watched a pit chew through a double wood fence in less than 20 minutes to get to an ill cat on the other side, the cat didn't survive to say the least. I have experience with owning a pit and would never own one ever again. Its a crap shoot when you get a Pitt, you could get one with the best temper, or you could get one with the worst temperment that can't be around other animals or children. The sad thing is we as humans made these dogs like this years ago, this is in their temperment now. So you could be the best owner out there and still get a Pitt that will a aggressive. Its really sad.
You are somewhat correct. They can be very aggressive towards other animals(its in their breed) you cant blame them for that.
The most common problem out there is that people get them and think they're just like any other dog, well, they are not! They are working dog's, you have to keep them working. They dont make good watch dogs. They have to be worked physically. Make them run, swim and do things of that sort. Yeah, they love to chew.. But then again, I love to chew on straws and things of that sort...lol Look, the thing is that they are misunderstood.. And you are correct as far as having to check their blood line to see if they are aggressive, but, you can work around that. I haven't gotten too far on reading on them but thats what its say's. Every dog is different, as every human is different. If you love the breed Tough, you will learn all their is to learn about them. THEN YOU WILL UNDERSTAND AND BETTER YET, LOVE THEM!
Over all, they are great dogs. YOU JUST NEED TO UNDERSTAND THEM!

Old 10-01-2008, 01:39 PM

118 posts, read 219,276 times
i still have mine from when i livedi n broward?i used to live in broward and kept my pit from there and i didnt know they were illegal in dade? no need to register if no one knows. //pics.hoobly.com/full/N8B3Y7727S66TYO39D.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-01-2008, 04:05 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,321,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
It's not really the realtors deciding. A landlord has to have homeowner's insurance for the home or apartment he/she is renting to you. Those insurance companies often have restrictions on the types of dogs they will allow on the property. What has happened is insurance companies have essentially created a "blacklist" of dogs that they deem to be too risky to insure.

These lists ban dog breeds such as Dalmations and Shar peis - it's not just pit bulls on the list (though they are always on these lists). It's total madness and there is little to nothing to back up the insurance companies "research", but they make the rules and can decide to insure or not insure at their will. the landlord has no choice but to go along or risk not having insurance.

In Miami, you have the additional element of the pit bull ban. Florida has a state-wide anti-BSL (breed specific legislation) law, but Miami-Dade's existing law was grandfathered in.....it's really a shame . So anywhere else in Florida, there is no ban in effect.

I would hope that you are not even considering purchasing a pit bull, but you are considering adopting a pit bull from a kill shelter. Please do not promote the plethora of backyard breeders by purchasing a pit bull while these dogs die every day in shelters all over our state. I don't know how you can legitimately adopt a pit bull with a Dade county address as your home. Therefore, I don't think you should pursue having a pit bull until you move out of Dade county.
-------------
Guy 2 blocks from here (Doral) had a pitbull puppy after it got to be about 6 months or so police showed up at his house and ASPCA took it.
He was fined and had to show up at court.

I agree with you illegal to own and CRUEL to get a dog which might be destroyed in near future.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
There is no license to own one in Miami-Dade county, they are illegal in Miami-Dade County. But they are around... The cops usually will not bother you about them, as they have more important things to deal with. But if a neighbor snitches on you and calls the cops, then the cops will bother you, you will be fined and told to get the dog out of the county, and worse the dog could be put to sleep.

As far as finding a landlord that will allow a pit, I think you will have a harder time finding a place with a pit vs a dog like a golden retriever. So keep that in mind when deciding wether to get a pit.

Just a side note, this breed is a very powerful breed (its not for a first time dog owner), and some pits even with the most loving of owners and best treatment, can still have the fighting mentality already in their bloodline, which there is nothing anyone can do to help (other than isolation from other dogs, then why have a dog if the dog can't play with other dogs). The mixed pits seem to have a better temper than some of pure breed pits. I have to say that when I used to go to the dog park on a regular basis, the regulars we all cringed (some picked up their dogs and left the park) when a pit bull owner brought their pit to the park.

The police may not come but local animal agency will . Anyone who has a PB in Miami has one only because no one has turned them in but they follow up on that and fine the owner.

Guy around here was fined large fine. He said he got it as mixed breed did not know it was pitt they still fined him.
I haven't seem him since he stopped walking the dog as no longer has it so not sure the outcome as far as fine went.

He was on borrowed time as this is Yorkie terrier country .

Old 10-01-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i don't think that men should be fighting chickens or fighting man's best friend. if they want to gamble why don't they play poker? i guess for people like that it would involve more strategy and thinking than they can manage.

I have seen chicken fighting lol.
Its actually rooster fighting but I know what you mean and dog fighting in Panama .

The dog fighting was walking by area they had it outside saw it few seconds it was gross but rooster fighting didn't bother me nearly as much .

Which is wrong but have to admit just didn't bother me.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha man View Post
i still have mine from when i livedi n broward?i used to live in broward and kept my pit from there and i didnt know they were illegal in dade? no need to register if no one knows.
Beautifull dog...... Dont get cought, please! They dont care how nice he/she is, they'll euthanize him/her!! Really, really beautifull dog btw..

Old 10-02-2008, 04:23 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,087,323 times
What would it take to cancel the ban?

Old 10-02-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
What would it take to cancel the ban?
Que tu habla mmg?

Old 11-09-2008, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 29,996 times
I've owned many a bullies while living in Dade county.In 15 yrs I have only gotten 1 ticket for having the dog at a dog park in coral gables.I went on a weekend when I normally go during the weekday.they never once said they had to take the dog..they just gave me the 500 dollar ticket.Unless you have papers for the dog saying it's something other than a Pitbull they classify all bullies as pits. I have since moved to the other end of the state and own many a Bullies that all sleep inside, play with the livestock and love my cats.Training is Key.here's one of my "Ugly APBT's"
Attached Thumbnails
I want a pitbull, but I live in miami :(-soy.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami