Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 12:27 AM

15 posts, read 130,392 times

Advertisements

Ok, I know this has bean asked before, but I want to know why people say that it depends on the realors and if they have a problem with the animal(I really tought that they were just play-illegal).
I just love the breed and the animal in general! But I dont want to be fined, and better yet, have the animal euthanized for my greed of wanting one.
So I would like to know the truth as to what is the exact law on this matter...?
Now, when I googled it, it said that they are illegal but, some people tell me otherwise. And if they are illegal, can I get some kind of license to own one? Thanks in advance to whom ever answers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 12:28 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
i hear you. i likem too. my best bet so far has been a shepard pitt mix. whom i adore.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:36 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,448,766 times
There is no license to own one in Miami-Dade county, they are illegal in Miami-Dade County. But they are around... The cops usually will not bother you about them, as they have more important things to deal with. But if a neighbor snitches on you and calls the cops, then the cops will bother you, you will be fined and told to get the dog out of the county, and worse the dog could be put to sleep.

As far as finding a landlord that will allow a pit, I think you will have a harder time finding a place with a pit vs a dog like a golden retriever. So keep that in mind when deciding wether to get a pit.

Just a side note, this breed is a very powerful breed (its not for a first time dog owner), and some pits even with the most loving of owners and best treatment, can still have the fighting mentality already in their bloodline, which there is nothing anyone can do to help (other than isolation from other dogs, then why have a dog if the dog can't play with other dogs). The mixed pits seem to have a better temper than some of pure breed pits. I have to say that when I used to go to the dog park on a regular basis, the regulars we all cringed (some picked up their dogs and left the park) when a pit bull owner brought their pit to the park.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:55 AM

149 posts, read 562,313 times
What a ridiculous law! Any dog can be trained to attack. There's no proven evidence that pit bulls have natural agression in their bloodline. Pit Bulls are very loyal and protective of their owners and are very easy to train. That's why they are often used as fighting dogs.

Mod deleted

Last edited by sunrico90; 09-28-2008 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL

Old 09-28-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCkid View Post
What a ridiculous law! Any dog can be trained to attack. There's no proven evidence that pit bulls have natural agression in their bloodline. Pit Bulls are very loyal and protective of their owners and are very easy to train. That's why they are often used as fighting dogs.
Most pits don't show aggression towards humans for no reason, its towards other animals that pits show aggression for no reason (the fighting mentality).

Old 09-28-2008, 09:27 AM

149 posts, read 562,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Most pits don't show aggression towards humans for no reason, its towards other animals that pits show aggression for no reason (the fighting mentality).
This is correct. But this doesn't require a ban. In some cities they ban pit bulls and rotties from dog parks due to this agression towards other animals. I can see that. But not in the comfort of your own home. Pits can be guard dogs and protect your house at night and its just an overall fun dog to have. They never run out of energy and are extremely playful especially as puppies.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:47 AM

I am not sure why the ban was put in place back in 1989, but many owners don't know how to keep such an animal from getting out of their yard. As they can jump, climb, or anything else to get to what ever they want. I know someone that had an 8ft high chain link pin for his pits, one would climb right out like nothing, so he had to cover the top with chain link too. I have watched a 10 year old Staffordshire Bull Terrier eat/peal/rip through a double wood fence in less than 20 minutes to get to an ill cat on the otherside of the double wood fence. These are powerful dogs.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:29 AM

1,372 posts, read 3,763,380 times
This is because old Cubans love to gamble on fighting animals... My old tutor from college lived with his dad in the Redlands and he had a new, huge, first class co-ck fighting ring in its own barn behind the house. There were probably 100 roosters in pens behind the circular ring with stained wood. The facility was equipped with a huge LCD TV and a bar with granite counter tops...

Old 09-28-2008, 11:20 AM

483 posts, read 1,544,136 times
It has nothing to do with Cubans, there are 17 city areas in the country with a pitbull ban the largest being in Miami and Denver and smaller cities like Sioux City, and Youngstown. There are also 6 places proposing the ban including Chicago and the whole state of Oklahoma.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:02 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,245,857 times
Move up here to Palm Beach County. Everyone has a pit bull here. The only annoying parts about them are the neighbors that let them roam around the neighborhood without leashes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami