U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 03:10 PM

3,325 posts, read 4,853,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack the ripper View Post
they need to remove licenses for old people, .

Old people arent the problem at all here.

In fact if there is one group of people who are not the reckless dangerous drivers in S.Florida its the old.

They need to drive because there is no public transportation here for the elderly as the funds are used to give every Mayor and other politicians here outrageous car allowance which is extra and not counted in their base pay so they can drive luxury cars with gas and insurance added.

But again the elderly here are not the problem far from it.

In truth no one is the problem the problem is complete lack of enforcement of laws which are enforced in the rest of N.America. An easy problem to solve because now word gets out to use turn signals,etc but again with the inmates in power here wont happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami_Dan View Post
S.Florida USELESS politicians couldn't care less because if they did in day's S.Florida joins the rest of N.America as far as driving goes.
__________________________________________________ _________
I lived downtown for 2.5 years. I was astounded by the local news at night for some of the same reasons posted here. All I finally came up with was that the local politicians are operating as if they were in their home countries; completely over thier head and inept (let alone corrupt)...and lets not even get to the SoBe cops...YIKEs on those freaks.[/quote]

These politicians are "Americanized" which means they came here as kids like me and many born here . Thus they know N.American standards .
Many have lived years in other states.

But yes they are 3rd world country politicians- do nothing parasites who care only about their safe deposit box.

This place with real politicians would bring in way more tourist-increase jobs and just operate so much better.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:04 PM

106 posts, read 400,889 times
Default Not so sure

"These politicians are "Americanized" which means they came here as kids like me and many born here . Thus they know N.American standards .
Many have lived years in other states."
__________________________________________________ ______________
I am not so sure of that statement. It would be very interesting to see the statistics. More interesting point for me is that you are telling me that the Spanish dialect/accent politicians I saw while living there are actually second generation US Citizens? WOW. And they are that bad. More WOW.

I hate to say this, but a 'living a few years in other states" or Miami or being born there DID NOT prove to me that anyone understands American standards (cutting in lines, I am never wrong, it wasn't me, honking obsessively, yelling, confrontational, greedy, flashy, rude, looking down on women in disrespect, whistling at ladies on the streets, etc. etc. etc. - ARE NOT AMERICAN NORMS.)

Miami is not understanding of American culture. It is all about sustaining the hispanic culture. Even you stated there is nothing wrong with speaking Spanish full time.

Miami is a melted down interpretation of portions of our capitalistic system by a predominantly foreign community with different social beliefs. It is a city of foreign, lesser than the American norm, standards as most americans understand them.
__________________________________________________ ____________
"But yes they are 3rd world country politicians- do nothing parasites who care only about their safe deposit box.

This place with real politicians would bring in way more tourist-increase jobs and just operate so much better."
Alas - 30 years ago - my point above!

I will say that I appreciate your comments - you are the first one to stand up to me in over a year and a half of postings. I am listening and trying to understand. Thanks.

Last edited by Miami_Dan; 12-04-2008 at 11:15 PM..

Old 12-04-2008, 11:41 PM

16,409 posts, read 26,843,103 times
Quote:
"

greedy, flashy, rude, looking down on women in disrespect, whistling at ladies on the streets, etc. etc. etc. - ARE NOT AMERICAN NORMS.)
Not american norms? Have you ever watched MTV? No offense but if anything the latinos of Miami are much more respectable than the Social norms of the USA.

Quote:
Miami is not understanding of American culture. It is all about sustaining the hispanic culture. Even you stated there is nothing wrong with speaking Spanish full time.
Again, what is the problem here? What is American culture? Rap music? Gold teeth? Go to any other city in the USA and that's the social norm, at least in Miami we can see real cultures being upheld be people who are proud.

Quote:
Miami is a melted down interpretation of portions of our capitalistic system by a predominantly foreign community with different social beliefs. It is a city of foreign, lesser than the American norm, standards as most americans understand them.
Miami is far from less than normal of most cities, the people come here in hopes of a better life from their previous countries and most are hard working people simply trying to get by in a new life.

USA is land of the free, people are entitled do speak the language they like and for the most part -- do as they wish as long as it is legal. The people of Miami have every right to not learn english, just as everybody else has the right to not learn Spanish. USA is a capitalist nation, we shouldn't be given help from the government. Instead of complaining that Miami only speaks spanish or is 3rd world, how about you learn spanish or leave? The people have the right to look down on you for not knowing Spanish as much as you do for them not knowing English. If you can't compete in your area, stop complaining, better yourself, or get out, because it is nobody's fault but your own.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Not american norms? Have you ever watched MTV? No offense but if anything the latinos of Miami are much more respectable than the Social norms of the USA.

Again, what is the problem here? What is American culture? Rap music? Gold teeth? Go to any other city in the USA and that's the social norm, at least in Miami we can see real cultures being upheld be people who are proud.

Miami is far from less than normal of most cities, the people come here in hopes of a better life from their previous countries and most are hard working people simply trying to get by in a new life.

USA is land of the free, people are entitled do speak the language they like and for the most part -- do as they wish as long as it is legal. The people of Miami have every right to not learn english, just as everybody else has the right to not learn Spanish. USA is a capitalist nation, we shouldn't be given help from the government. Instead of complaining that Miami only speaks spanish or is 3rd world, how about you learn spanish or leave? The people have the right to look down on you for not knowing Spanish as much as you do for them not knowing English. If you can't compete in your area, stop complaining, better yourself, or get out, because it is nobody's fault but your own.

Yea but you cant deny there is a lot of garbage here besides trash politician .
IMO to deny that rally the troops to their defense does more harm than good .
Its high time the bad apples here which are many and the trash politicians are held accountable not protected.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:49 AM

Quote:
"These politicians are "Americanized" which means they came here as kids like me and many born here . Thus they know N.American standards .
Many have lived years in other states."
__________________________________________________ ______________
I am not so sure of that statement. It would be very interesting to see the statistics. More interesting point for me is that you are telling me that the Spanish dialect/accent politicians I saw while living there are actually second generation US Citizens? WOW. And they are that bad. More WOW.

I hate to say this, but a 'living a few years in other states" or Miami or being born there DID NOT prove to me that anyone understands American standards (cutting in lines, I am never wrong, it wasn't me, honking obsessively, yelling, confrontational, greedy, flashy, rude, looking down on women in disrespect, whistling at ladies on the streets, etc. etc. etc. - ARE NOT AMERICAN NORMS.)

"But yes they are 3rd world country politicians- do nothing parasites who care only about their safe deposit box.

This place with real politicians would bring in way more tourist-increase jobs and just operate so much better."
Alas - 30 years ago - my point above!

I will say that I appreciate your comments - you are the first one to stand up to me in over a year and a half of postings. I am listening and trying to understand. Thanks.

I see nothing wrong with speaking Spanish same as some areas in NY they speak Italian,Greek,Hebrew,Korean,etc.

I do think people should learn English as this is USA .
The younger generations do but older folks still come to S.Florida from all over Latin America.

I speak English thus speak it if needed but here speak Spanish .
It just takes to long to operate in English here esp in my area takes forever to get anything done thus just go with Spanish but I see nothing wrong with that.
I spoke Spanish in PA my old state also granted not like here .
-----------------
----------
I was being kind because even parasites serve a purpose in the big picture of nature but most of the S.Florida politicians do not.

My #1 #2 and #3 problem with this place are the politicians.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:40 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,226,952 times
Quote:

excellent post sir.

immigration is the lifeblood of the united states. we are a nation of immigrants. I am a political refugee. this great land and it's peoples opened their arms to me and mine as well as to uncountable millions from all over the globe. what we found here was opportunity to attain our maximum potential with no hinderance to process of becoming. there is no place on earth that offers more opportunity to an individual. miami is not atypical but rather amongst the latest in a long list of gateway cities that provided a haven to those coming to america.

I have had the opportunity to employ new arrivals from my own land and provide them with employment while teaching them a trade. I have watched many fail because with the great freedoms we enjoy also come many responsibilities, with the great liberty we enjoy there are also many pitfalls. many of us (humans) sometimes confuse liberty with libertinism and can find ourselves in a mire of our own creation.

I have also had the pleasure of seeing people whom I have mentored go one to have great careers obtained by work, sweat and singleness of purpose, to go on an aquire and education and better themselves, thereby bettering our society.

the great thing about our country is that if you need a hand most folks can find two at the end of each arm. now you just need to apply the contents within the sphere suspended between those shoulders to succeed, no one will get in your way.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:56 PM

Go to Russian area in PA or Korean areas in Flushing NY and NO English spoken or very little.

I agree with your post but not the Spanish part because Spanish is growing all over USA .
My ancestors did not come to America to speak their native tongue in public - why is this the case in Miami? My ancestors went out of their way to learn English; they wanted to embrace their new country. THey wanted to be a part of America. They spoke their native language at home. They viewed it as an insult to Americans to speak their native language in public.

They did not loose there heritage or lifestyle. It was a respect thing.....

How about this - I move to your country and never learn English. Help me understand. Would not that be insulting to some people in your home town?

Lastly, if you plan on living your entire life in Mehammy, great - otherwise you are hurting yourself if you do not learn Eanglish.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:

__________________________________________________ _____________
Yup - I got out and so have thousands and thousands since the 60's.

I am on this post bringing up the issues whether you like them or not, weather you read books written in English or not, weather you watch English documentaries/history/culture/art or not (not kid shows like MTV)......because I am trying to warn anyone who is thinking of moving to lousy Mehammy to stay away.

Thanks for you input - you merely justified all of my reasons to stay away. Stay in Miami, that is exactly where every one else in the US wants you.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:08 PM

12 posts, read 34,409 times
The cellphones are the culprit. I see it every day...people on their phones Not only talking BUT texting, cutting you off not even signaling--since their hands are busy multi-tasking... I see an accident every day and I don't go on any highway -- just simply US1 to/from downtown and Pinecrest...crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or