Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 08:24 AM

18,447 posts, read 8,272,093 times

Advertisements

The next time you use Uber, check your bill. The trip could turn out to be expensive — not just for the distance but for a type of fraud that is on the rise.

It’s called “vomit fraud,” a scam repeatedly denounced in social networks yet still taking place around the world.

And Miami, of course, is a common spot.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/bus...215299675.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 08:33 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
Thanks for sharing....wondering how successful disputing the charge via your credit card company is and whether they will handle it/remove the charge....any idea if this same crap takes place with Lyft??

Maybe as a hedge, take a short video on your cell phone as you are leaving the vehicle as proof you left it in good condition. Maybe include the driver on the video with their acknowledgement that the car is in good condition.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:46 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,413,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Thanks for sharing....wondering how successful disputing the charge via your credit card company is and whether they will handle it/remove the charge....any idea if this same crap takes place with Lyft??

Maybe as a hedge, take a short video on your cell phone as you are leaving the vehicle as proof you left it in good condition. Maybe include the driver on the video with their acknowledgement that the car is in good condition.
Great way of handling the matter before it's too late.....

Old 07-23-2018, 08:51 AM

330 posts, read 249,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post

And Miami, of course, is a common spot.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/bus...215299675.html
Color me surprised--said no one, ever.

Why would anyone live in Miami? Are there any honest people left down there?

Old 07-23-2018, 09:26 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
The next time you use Uber, check your bill....
And one should do this when charging taxi bills...

Or restaurant bills...

Or with any other merchant that posts a charge to your credit card.

I don't understand why people don't always do this. I've found improper charges, false charges, and double-billings multiple times when going through my monthly credit card statements.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:09 AM

That is because we need to copy Canada in the Proper Use Of Credit Cards......Out there in the Wild wild West.

In Canada the Card NEVER, ever leaves your sight...Specially in Restaurants where in the States the card goes with the server to some obscure place on the back away from the customer...In Canada the server comes to the table with a point of sale transmitter (If you can call it that) the customer slides the credit card and just follow instructions.

Not much room for cheaters, unless of course they also have ways of breaking that safety net for the payor.

But we've been there the last 3 Octobers and not once our cards have been jeopardized.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:19 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
I started using Lyft, instead of Uber, months ago without any issues.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I started using Lyft, instead of Uber, months ago without any issues.
I have also only used Lyft in the past couple of years, and I do not believe I would EVER have that issue not even with UBER.

I do not do drinking out into the late hrs, bar hoping and in Areas where that is the norm.....So I believe that my normal trips with these people are daylight trips, normally with a suitcase on trips out and back into Miami.

A friend of mine worked for UBER and his new car, under 30 days old, was left a mess by a drunk one nite bar hopinn, he soon quit the driving for them thereafter... I cannot imagine the live scene when that happenned.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:48 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Good to know, I've had a couple instances where I wasn't happy with my driver.

1) Took a much longer route than the GPS said and I was familiar with that city too, so I know he should have just gone the way the GPS said. Pretty much everyone has live traffic on their phones, so they can fact check traffic. The bill ended up being more than double the estimated fare because of this new route. After I clicked "help" through the app, I got a full refund within an hour.

2) At an airport, a driver went to the departure area instead of the ride share pick up area. We had 6 bags total between 3 people and the departure area was up 3 floors. The driver insisted we go to her. Once inside, the driver was angry she had to wait for us and gave attitude the whole ride to the hotel. I did the same process and got a refund within an hour.

Other than these two instances, which were easily fixed by Uber, I never had any problems or issues. Overall, so much better than a traditional taxi and Uber support has been very helpful.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:55 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
I've had something similar happen in a hotel. I can't explain the photos they sent when I disputed the charges. If it was another room, or it happened by someone else after I left or what. Would never occur to me to take my own time and day stamped photos, somehow getting the room number in the frames.......I guess a video starting with the room number on the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: