Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 10:01 PM

14 posts, read 65,251 times

Advertisements

Howdy,
I have a very likely job prospect Downtown Miami.
I'm looking to rent a condo 1200+ feet for less than $1800/mo.
I've poked around and it looks like Aventura may be the perfect mix of what I'm looking for.
That said we (wife kids 3,7) are coming from Metro Detroit where commuting is the de riguor so we're not scared of a drive.

My wife gets a 1 year sabbatical which will be more like 18 months so we can purchase later but I need decent schools.

any thoughts?

I would drive 40 mins non rush hour NO prob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 08:53 AM

perfect thanks.

that is a perfect way to research housing.

lots of good stuff in Broward Co. for nice prices.

LOTS of condo's though.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:04 PM

yup, saw that.
lots of stuff in Pembroke Pines that I like also.

Are you Tammy?
My wife and I will be in Ft. Lauderdale next Friday to poke around some condo rentals...

Old 02-17-2007, 08:44 PM

929 posts, read 1,157,248 times
"so we're not scared of a drive."

theres a difference here. coming from los angeles the land of the great commute im not scared of a long drive either. its the QUALITY of the drivers thats scary. when youre constantly having people pass you within an inch or two of your right rear bumper or semi trailer trucks tailgating you constantly it eats at your sanity. id commute 2 hours each direction no problem if the drivers were stable. suicidal is the only way you can characterize it. there isnt any other place in the country where drivers drive this way and so many people here dont have insurance that uninsured motorists insurance is MANDATORY. down here in homestead theres lots of people driving around without license plates. they just have poorly hard written paper tags with some untraceable number behind their darkly tinted windows. theres very little accountability. they could hit you and drive off and you would have only the description of the vehicle to guide you.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:30 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
My daily commute is about 23 miles each way. Been doing this for the past 10 years. Never had an accident. I think it all depends on your attitude. I turn on my radio and relax, drive carefully and that's it! And trust me I used to drive on 36 street before which is full of trucks. Never had a problem. Period.

Some people are just so negative and the blow things out of proportion.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:38 PM

929 posts, read 1,157,248 times
just this past thursday one of my coworkers came in. a guy in a truck carrying gravel had fell asleep at the wheel and slammed into the back of him. the force pushed him into the car in front of him. fortunately the company owning the truck had insurance. this same guy had his car broken into and stereo stolen 2 months ago.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:01 PM

wow, not fun.

Relocating from Detroit though so...

Old 02-19-2007, 08:05 AM

286 posts, read 1,082,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plbowler View Post
Howdy,
IMy wife gets a 1 year sabbatical which will be more like 18 months so we can purchase later but I need decent schools.

any thoughts?

I would drive 40 mins non rush hour NO prob.
Read my post about Miami schools--

Old 02-19-2007, 06:35 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,683,240 times
my advice....look on Key Biscayne and get the kid into the charter school out there (Mast Academy?)

you don't want to work in downtown MIA and live in Ft Lauderdale. The commute will wear you out. Unless you start taking the TRI-RAIL

Old 02-20-2007, 11:12 AM

is the TRI-RAIL a viable commuter alternative foe Ft. L to Miami.?

how much are charter $chool$?

EDIT:
Yikes, Key Biscayne is too pricey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami