Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 01:57 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,690,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Your statistics are wrong. Miami-Dade is only about 62% Hispanic, and as of 2000, only about 45% of THAT number were Cuban. In 2008, I would think that number would be down to 40%. So let's crunch these numbers, only 40% of the 62% of people who are Hispanic are Cuban. That means that a whopping 25% of Miami-Dade's population is Cuban nowadays. That is no surpirse to me given the large influx of Central and South Americans during this decade.
You are partially right. Here is the article where I got my numbers from.

MIAMI HERALD
Posted on Wed, Sep. 24, 2008
Cuban population in Miami-Dade up again
BY DANIEL SHOER ROTH

http://www.miamiherald.com/1264/story/697453.html

For years, the influx of non-Cuban Hispanics diversified the mix of Latinos in
Miami-Dade, one of the nation's most heavily Hispanic counties.

But the Census Bureau is releasing numbers Tuesday that show Cubans have grown
significantly as a percentage of all Hispanics, reversing a demographic trend
that began in the mid-1970s.

The reason: The population of Cubans in Miami-Dade since 2000 has risen rapidly,
far outpacing the population growth of non-Cuban Hispanics.

From 2000-2007, the number of Cubans rose more than 144,000 to nearly 795,000.
Meanwhile, the number of non-Cuban Hispanics inched up by fewer than 22,000.

As a result, 54 percent of all Hispanics in Miami-Dade last year were Cuban, up
from 50 percent in 2000. The percentage of non-Cuban Hispanics -- including
Colombians, Argentines and others -- fell from about 41 percent to 37 percent.

Non-Cuban Hispanics include most Hispanics from South and Central America and
the Caribbean but do not include Mexicans or Puerto Ricans, who comprise the
largest U.S. Hispanic groups.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:58 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,636,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
I really don't think Cubans discriminate against 'Anglos'... they have the oldest and most beneficial relationship, dating back almost a century.
This is one of the first times I am going to agree with big mean bear. It is my experience that Cubans/Cuban-Americans and Anglos get along very well. They have been living together for years, have similar economic status (generally middle to upper middle class in South Florida), and have no racial tension between them because South Florida Cubans/Cuban-Americans are overwhelmingly white, unlike most Mexicans/Central Americans or blacks.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
You are partially right. Here is the article where I got my numbers from.

As a result, 54 percent of all Hispanics in Miami-Dade last year were Cuban, up
from 50 percent in 2000. .
Interesting trend. So if 54% if Hispanics in Miami-Dade are Cuban and Hispanics make up 62% of the population, that means that 33.4% of the population is Cuban. Thanks for the info; I hadn't realized that the proportion of Cubans had actually begun to go up since having steadily fallen over the years!

Old 10-23-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
This is one of the first times I am going to agree with big mean bear. It is my experience that Cubans/Cuban-Americans and Anglos get along very well. They have been living together for years, have similar economic status (generally middle to upper middle class in South Florida), and have no racial tension between them because South Florida Cubans/Cuban-Americans are overwhelmingly white, unlike most Mexicans/Central Americans or blacks.
That is generally true. Most anglos and Cubans get along well. The problem is when we leave SoFl, then all Hispanics are grouped together and then anglos don't like us. Here in NC where I reside, I am considered a taco loving Mexican. Most of my co-workers have never met a Cuban before. It is up to me to educate them about the huge cultural and historical differences between me and other Hispanic groups. But I am up for the challenge

Old 10-23-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
That is generally true. Most anglos and Cubans get along well. The problem is when we leave SoFl, then all Hispanics are grouped together and then anglos don't like us. Here in NC where I reside, I am considered a taco loving Mexican. Most of my co-workers have never met a Cuban before. It is up to me to educate them about the huge cultural and historical differences between me and other Hispanic groups. But I am up for the challenge
I know what you mean. However, it is my experience people are glad to learn. I have been living outside of South Florida for six years now (in Boston, Madrid, and New York) so I understand that once in a while you do run into people who are taken aback when they find out that you are Hispanic. Often people are surprised when I excuse myself to answer a phone call in Spanish or know how to dance salsa, or know how to cook certain foods... you know what I mean. People who have ONLY grown up to see Hispanics as short, brown (mestizo/indio) Mexicans are very surprised to learn that there are plenty of educated/affluent/white/(insert characteristic that "country folk" in North Carolina would NOT associate with being Hispanic) Hispanics out there. I myself am very proud to have taught a number of people that Hispanics are diverse in race, culture, socioeconomic status, and political views.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:29 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,752,533 times
Quote:
Cubans realize (and respect) what Anglos/Americans did (or tried to do) for Cuba and its people. Political asylum is not something to be taken lightly, and rightly so, Cubans are the ONLY people who have UNIVERSAL political asylum in the U.S. This shows the respect and understanding that Anglos/Americans have for their close neighbors to the South. I also think that Americans like Cuba's rich culture and history, where the same cannot be said about countries like Haiti or Bolivia or Venezuela and the like...

Old 10-23-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
Cubans realize (and respect) what Anglos/Americans did (or tried to do) for Cuba and its people. Political asylum is not something to be taken lightly, and rightly so, Cubans are the ONLY people who have UNIVERSAL political asylum in the U.S. This shows the respect and understanding that Anglos/Americans have for their close neighbors to the South. I also think that Americans like Cuba's rich culture and history, where the same cannot be said about countries like Haiti or Bolivia or Venezuela and the like...
Let's also remember that many high society Cuban ladies sold their jewels and riches to support the US war of Independence. Not that many Americans know that fact. I think the hate relationship that our governments have for each other is completely obsolete. If Puerto Ricans and Cubans are the two wings of a same bird, then Americans and Cubans are at the center of the heart of that bird. Our histories are too intricate to have so much animosity.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
If Puerto Ricans and Cubans are the two wings of a same bird, then Americans and Cubans are at the center of the heart of that bird. Our histories are too intricate to have so much animosity.
"Cuba y Puerto Rico son dos alas pero del mismo corazón" I never thought of the heart referring to the US, lol. Cool analogy, by the way.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:37 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,118,603 times
Gosh you're all getting so patriotic.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:42 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,118,603 times
Quote:
Interesting trend. So if 54% if Hispanics in Miami-Dade are Cuban and Hispanics make up 62% of the population, that means that 33.4% of the population is Cuban. Thanks for the info; I hadn't realized that the proportion of Cubans had actually begun to go up since having steadily fallen over the years!
BTW does this stat include children of Cubans born in the USA (Cuban-American to some)? Or is it about Cuban born only? If it includes Cubans' US born children, then it's not very accurate. These children may have Cuban roots and grow up with Cuban customs and know the culture and how to make black beans and dance a "danzon" but they're technically as much a USA American as any one else born here, which would include anyone with roots from any other nationality.

I'm definitely part of the stats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami