Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 09:54 AM

854 posts, read 2,863,517 times

Advertisements

hi

i've been here in miami for about two years now, and i just got a job offer in NJ, new brunswick area. i like the job position (a good step forward from where i'm at right now), i like the area, my only concern is the $. i'm making low 30s here in mia, and in they're offering low 40s in NJ. considering NJ taxes and cost of living etc, my net income wouldn't be a whole lot more than down here...

I'm 24, single, no debt. other factors aside (only looking at the $-factor), what makes more sense? stay or leave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 11:11 AM

38 posts, read 242,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
hi

i've been here in miami for about two years now, and i just got a job offer in NJ, new brunswick area. i like the job position (a good step forward from where i'm at right now), i like the area, my only concern is the $. i'm making low 30s here in mia, and in they're offering low 40s in NJ. considering NJ taxes and cost of living etc, my net income wouldn't be a whole lot more than down here...

I'm 24, single, no debt. other factors aside (only looking at the $-factor), what makes more sense? stay or leave?
Not knowing any more of your background information (IE: where you are originally from and how much you like/dislike other aspects of your life in Miami) I can only speak from my experience.

I have lived in both cities. I enjoy a taste of the cold and snow in the winter. I also enjoy being able to speak in my native language to most all of my neighbors. I liked being able to take a 40 minute train to NYC to see a great B'way show or museum or top restaurant (no Lincoln Rd BS). There are sections of NB that also scream 'College Town' if you like that great; if not watch where you move.

Economically you'd be in better standing with the move. A 40k job in NB would be equivalent to a 50k job in Miami ( not Miami Beach). NB is much closer to the average cost of living. Check out any online relocation calculator.

The cost of living in Miami, FL is 6.1% higher than in New Brunswick, NJ.

Employers in Miami, FL typically pay 14.8% less than employers in New Brunswick, NJ.

Last edited by MattyGit; 10-27-2008 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-27-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyGit View Post
Economically you'd be in better standing with the move. A 40k job in NB would be equivalent to a 50k job in Miami ( not Miami Beach). NB is much closer to the average cost of living. Check out any online relocation calculator.

The cost of living in Miami, FL is 6.1% higher than in New Brunswick, NJ.

Employers in Miami, FL typically pay 14.8% less than employers in New Brunswick, NJ.
Thanks for you answer! Since you've lived in both areas you're just the kind of person I was looking for

The funny thing is, I did check different calculators, and at first I was like "oh, that offer doesn't seem so bad." Then I went to NJ for a weekend to check out the area, I checked out craigslist to get an idea of how much a 1br apartment is (rent) etc, and honestly those prices don't seem to be a whole lot less like those calculators are trying to tell me

Old 10-27-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
Thanks for you answer! Since you've lived in both areas you're just the kind of person I was looking for

The funny thing is, I did check different calculators, and at first I was like "oh, that offer doesn't seem so bad." Then I went to NJ for a weekend to check out the area, I checked out craigslist to get an idea of how much a 1br apartment is (rent) etc, and honestly those prices don't seem to be a whole lot less like those calculators are trying to tell me
Well... NB is a very big area and has many many sections. You could run into the same trap as people moving to Miami. A one bedroom in Miami vs a one bedroom in Miami Beach or Kendall vs Biscayne... ya know? It has been a long time since I lived in NB... perhaps check out some areas near NB.

And remember gas is usually 25 - 30 cheaper and full serve!

Last edited by MattyGit; 10-27-2008 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: add

Old 10-27-2008, 02:27 PM

483 posts, read 1,544,830 times
I couldnt tell you much about Newbrunswick, but NJ in general is much more expensive than Florida. I lived in the same North Jersey area, Passaic County. I liked the whole area, very diverse, always something happening and a small drive from New York. I just couldnt handle the cold winters and horrible summers and actually made more money in my case in moving to Florida.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:33 PM

95 posts, read 452,732 times
It really depends on whether you can stand the cruel freezing cold long winters of NJ... I lived in NYC for 10 years and loved everything about it, but just hated the weather. Much rather be sweating for most of the year than freezing cold. That for me is question number one between your 2 choices. Good luck!

Old 10-27-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun&Sea View Post
It really depends on whether you can stand the cruel freezing cold long winters of NJ... I lived in NYC for 10 years and loved everything about it, but just hated the weather. Much rather be sweating for most of the year than freezing cold. That for me is question number one between your 2 choices. Good luck!
"cruel freezing cold long winters"?? A bit dramatic, no?

Month Maximum / Minimum

January 39 / 26
February 40 / 27
March 48 / 34
April 61 / 44
May 71 / 53
June 81 / 63
July 85 / 68
August 83 / 66
September 77 / 60
October 67 / 51
Novembe 54 / 41
December 41 / 30

Last edited by MattyGit; 10-27-2008 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: format

Old 10-28-2008, 06:32 AM

Don't worry, I know what snow and cold winters are It's really just a money-issue right now.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:43 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
If it's a money issue, I would go. Middlesex County is actually a little cheaper than Miami and a solid place in general, but pretty sleepy. However, you can get on the NJ transit bus and be in the city in 30 minutes on a good day. New Brunswick has a few seedy parts but the downtown area is cool.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:07 PM

95 posts, read 452,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyGit View Post
"cruel freezing cold long winters"?? A bit dramatic, no?

Month Maximum / Minimum

January 39 / 26
February 40 / 27
March 48 / 34
April 61 / 44
May 71 / 53
June 81 / 63
July 85 / 68
August 83 / 66
September 77 / 60
October 67 / 51
Novembe 54 / 41
December 41 / 30
Well, starting from the first week of December you CAN already start to have 20's and snow, and until the end of April it is still possible and not that rare to have this kind of weather (or, if not snowm at least gray gray rainy cold days...). So that's 5 full months of freezing cold days, and let's not even talk about the below 0's few days that you get every year... For me, personally, winter in NY/NJ are too long, too cold and too cruel. Sorry if you think I am being dramatic.

When people say in this forum they have headaches and can't stand the humidity and heat of Miami, it sounds a little dramatic to me too, I love hot weather and think Miami is actually dry... But I don't judge them, it all depends where you are from and what you are used to, and on your personal opinion. I was just giving the OP mine. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: