Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 02:19 PM

53 posts, read 330,654 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating and our 1st question is,
Where's the best place to live with small kids in or around Miami (within 40 miles)? Safe, great public schools, health-conscious, not too pricey...

We'd really appreciate some ideas! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 02:23 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,367,576 times
Within 40 miles of Miami? The safest place #10 in the country Coral Springs in north west Broward County.

Old 02-18-2007, 02:58 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,093,156 times
She asked for "great" public schools and not pricey. She is chasing a nonexistant community. Let us know what you mean by not pricey...under 400,000?

Old 02-18-2007, 07:33 PM

Oh boy, I am an optimist...

Thank you, 'doggiebus' and 'chelito23' first of all.

OK -we'd like to rent first, for a year...we want to be as near to Miami as we can. We don't know where middle-class families live, and can rent. What are the good school districts? "Chelito23", I guess you're saying Miami is out (we are both artists and $1200-$1400 for rent is our thought). Where would you live in South Florida if you were raising a small child, thinking of education, safety, friendliness? We're both used to being near cities (NY, BOS) so we'd like to be close to Miami, but we don't want to be in the middle of shopping malls.

Anything??

Old 02-18-2007, 08:03 PM

Ok, I've just read thru the other threads on this topic...sorry I didn't at first, it was all so new to me. So we're all set on info...

If anyone wants to know about Boston Suburbia, I'm your guide!

Old 02-18-2007, 08:54 PM

1,332 posts, read 2,168,897 times
I would look at Brickell, Coral Gables, Miami Beach, and Aventura. Those are probably the safest areas with the easiest commutes to Downtown Miami.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:35 AM

286 posts, read 1,079,406 times
Default School info

Tao,
My wife and I are very education oriented and I did all the research.
I have also read all the posts here, some can be very discouraging, so just ignore all the sarcasm that goes with it.
I will be relocating my business and we will be moving to Miami this summer.
If you mean downtown Miami, the best public schools would be in the village of Pinecrest. Miami Palmetto senior high school was voted #67 in a survey of the nations top 100 schools. Pinecrest also features the best middle and elementary schools as well. Pinecrest is about 10-12 miles from Miami but figure about a one hour commute

Helpful links www.dadeschools.net to download grades and bestschools.net to read reviews from other parents.
Single family homes in Pinecrest start at about 500k and 2bed condos at about 200-250k. If you want to be in this school district, your best bet is to rent. Check out craigslist under apts for rent and do a search of Pinecrest. You could find a 2br condo in say, Pinecrest villas in the $1200 to $1400 range. Or better yet, contact a local realtor and let them do the finding for you.
The other option is to stay in Weston, about 40 miles north. The school there is Cypress Bay, again an "A" school and the community is typical upper class suburban America. But be warned, the commute is a killer and you could be easily looking at 2 hours each way. As you probably know, Miami is an anomaly when it comes to US cities; none of the rules apply.
As an example, some of the schools in the nicer cities like Aventura and Coral Gables are not the best. Among private schools, Gulliver stands out but their yearly tuition starts at around 10k and escalates to about 20k in the higher grades.
My inference from my numerous visits and research is that you need money to be happy here, lots of it.
The weather here is great sans the hurricanes, but then again, there is no perfect world.
Hope this was helpful

Old 02-19-2007, 12:21 PM

logybogy, thank you, I've made the additions to my list.

induhvidual -WOW, very helpful...I was just thinking this search is discouraging, so I'll keep it all in perspective.

...lots of money as in San Francisco? NY? Boston's Suburbs where we live??

Old 02-19-2007, 03:21 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,093,156 times
Some of the communities suggested ARE nice, but they are NOT where the middle class lives. Others have mentioned the public schools in the absolutely priciest cities in South Florida! No one is debating if these are nice communities or if good schools exist, but to recommend these places as non pricey is absolutely insane.

Aventura, Coral Gables, Piencrest, Key Biscayne are all great. You also get what you pay for, and these communites are NOT accesible to the middle class from out of state. The middle class tends to live in the suburban sprawl west of 1-95 in both counties. Even the middle class areas are quite expensive, but maybe this won't be an issue for you, if you are coming from Boston??

The school districts here are county wide, so there is the Miami Dade County Public Schools and the Broward Public Schools. The local public schools are all severly overcorwded, understaffed and underfunded. Florida ranks at the bottom of national education surveys, so good public schools in Florida is an oymoron. All local public schools have portable classrooms. The only decent public schools are in Pinecrest as well as a handful of other schools around the county in random areas. I can't speak to Broward, but they are in a similar boat.

I think somewhere north of 595 in Broward County and west of the turnpike is the closest thing to what you are looking for. The commute to Miami on a daily basis would be a killer, but at off times it's under an hour. Plus, you still have the Borward beaches, the Sawgrass Mall and arena, FT. Laud downtown and other local attracctions nearby.

My post wasn't meant to discourage you, but to give you a more realistic idea of what it is like here, if you are trying to buy into the market now and are from out of the area. Good luck!

Old 02-19-2007, 05:36 PM

183 posts, read 566,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
......................Plus, you still have the Borward beaches, the Sawgrass Mall and arena, FT. Laud downtown and other local attracctions nearby.........................
Ft. Laud downtown, what is that like, since you seem to be recommending it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami