Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 04:38 PM

95 posts, read 451,209 times

Advertisements

We are planning our move to Coral Gables (Summer of 2009), and will be first renting for a year while we shop for our new home (probably a condo or townhouse.)

We have been looking for rental condos around the Miracle Mile area, as we believe it might be better to, at least at first, live right in the heart of the city, to get to know it better, and also because we like the idea of being able to walk to things. What do you think, is Miracle Mile area a good idea?

But we also found another very nice looking place, called The Residences at the Village of Merrick Park, on 4251 Salzedo Street. All we know about the area is that is next door to the Merrick Park shopping mall. So, what do you think about this area??

We are a couple with a 2 year old kid.

Thank you so much for any suggestions and opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 06:19 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,623,215 times
I think both areas would be fine. There are not really too many "bad" areas in Coral Gables. I think you will find that after living within walking distance to things that you enjoy going to, you will not want to live far enough that you have to drive to them! I learned that after growing up in Kendall and then living in South Miami near Sunset Place mall for three years. Once I was hooked on walking to everything, having to drive anywhere really seemed like a pain!

Old 10-28-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
I think both areas would be fine. There are not really too many "bad" areas in Coral Gables. I think you will find that after living within walking distance to things that you enjoy going to, you will not want to live far enough that you have to drive to them! I learned that after growing up in Kendall and then living in South Miami near Sunset Place mall for three years. Once I was hooked on walking to everything, having to drive anywhere really seemed like a pain!
Thanks, Miamiblue! I feel the same after living in NYC and now living out of it...

Now, can you (or someone else) please give some details on the Village of Merrick Park area? Besides the mall, is there anything else around there we can walk to? Thanks again!

Old 10-28-2008, 09:45 PM

224 posts, read 996,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun&Sea View Post
Thanks, Miamiblue! I feel the same after living in NYC and now living out of it...

Now, can you (or someone else) please give some details on the Village of Merrick Park area? Besides the mall, is there anything else around there we can walk to? Thanks again!
The Village of Merrick Park started high end but now it's softening up a bit and have opened a Borders Book Store and some lower end dining like Yard House is coming soon... They couldn't sustain that high end model it seems... I live 5 min from there and NEVER go there... But now that they are opening up Yard House, I will...

You can take a trolley from there to Miracle Mile (goes up and down Ponce)... You are one step off of US1 and the metrorail (should that be important)... There is not much else around there... I personally would live closer to Miracle Mile than Merrick Park since there is a ton more to do around Miracle Mile than Merrick Park.

Just FYI, this is not NYC and never will be so don't expect great public infrastructure...

Enjoy your move and welcome to the 305...

Old 10-29-2008, 11:48 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,035,585 times
I lived in Coral Gables, 6 blocks from Miracle Mile for over 30 years - and would not hesitate to move back !

I would NOT consider moving to the Village of Merrick Park because it is very, very close to a ghetto area, outside Coral Gables.

Also, the north end of Gables is almost 100% apartment buildings, so if that's your cup-of-tea, check it out ....... also within walking distance to Miracle Mile if you are a good walker !

Old 10-29-2008, 12:12 PM

Thank you so much, Spiderman and ConeyisBabe! We will stick to the Miracle Mile are then.

Spiderman, don't worry, I know that Miami and the Gables are not NYC, I have been there many times, have friends who live in Miami, and have been reading this forum for more than a year, so I think I know exactly what to expect. Thanks for you advice, though!

Old 10-29-2008, 12:34 PM

710 posts, read 2,226,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I would NOT consider moving to the Village of Merrick Park because it is very, very close to a ghetto area, outside Coral Gables.

Also, the north end of Gables is almost 100% apartment buildings, so if that's your cup-of-tea, check it out ....... also within walking distance to Miracle Mile if you are a good walker !
Personally I don't think that the "ghetto" across US1 from the V of MP has any bearing. There just isn't any crossover that I've noticed.
BUT, I also don't think there is all that much outside of the shops around there. If you were a single, working person who liked to go to the gym most days (there's an Equinox in there), then it might work. But for you? Naw.

Consider also parks. There is a decent playground in the community center -- on University near Le Jeune. Maybe not walking distance from the condos but just a short drive.
The other ones we go to are Riviera Park (near the Publix south-east of US1) and the GREAT one in S Miami in the Dante Fascell park. (Red Rd & Kendall Dr). BOTH you would need to drive to obviously.

I don't know if there are condo's/rentals available near there, but I would also look in the S Miami/C Gables border area around Red, US1 & Sunset (particularly on the C Gables side.)
Whole Foods is there, Publix, the park and Downtown S Miami is all walking distance. BUT, like I said, not sure what's available.

In the Gables, not sure you'd be happy much north of Alhambra. We used to live there and found it fine, just don't think it will be right for your specifications & situation.

I know you're probably set on a "secure" building, but think about the duplexes or condos on Ponce closer to UM (between Le Jeune & Granada).

Good luck.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:45 PM

Thanks, Planetsurf! Always get good advices/tips from you, especially regarding kids' matters.

Now, what did you mean by: " I know you're probably set on a "secure" building, but think about the duplexes or condos on Ponce closer to UM (between Le Jeune & Granada)"? I don't understand, what is the difference between the condos on Ponce closer to UM in terms of security? Thanks again!

Old 10-29-2008, 12:53 PM

710 posts, read 2,226,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun&Sea View Post
Thanks, Planetsurf! Always get good advices/tips from you, especially regarding kids' matters.

Now, what did you mean by: " I know you're probably set on a "secure" building, but think about the duplexes or condos on Ponce closer to UM (between Le Jeune & Granada)"? I don't understand, what is the difference between the condos on Ponce closer to UM in terms of security? Thanks again!
There are only a few smaller condo complexes on Ponce over there -- they are basically set-up like SFHs, locked front door. Duplexes in homes around there OBVIOUSLY only have locked front doors.
There are a few newer, bigger condos around downtown that have the added security of locked main entrances/parking garages. You've always seemed to lean towards a gated community situation, so I thought I'd point that out.
Also, nothing "really" in walking distance around there. We "stroll" around our neighborhood a lot and occasionaly walk across US1 for bagels, but that's it.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:20 PM

Ok, Planetsurf, now I got it! Thanks for the info!

You are right, we lean towards a gated community type of place, so we would feel "safer" having a doorman or something similar.

So I guess the only option left for us are those condos at and around the Miracle Mile area, which combine walking distance (to some stuff) with gated entrances. The good news is that there seem to be some nice options of rental places around that area...

Thanks again, everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami