Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2008, 01:04 AM

2 posts, read 9,263 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating from Los Angeles to Miami in January 2009. We are not sure exactly where we will be living, but it will likely depend on which PUBLIC elementary school we like. I know that Miami is not known for the best public schools, just like LA. However, like LA, I know there are some gem schools to be found. I know, because we are in a neighborhood with one!

I guess we could be classified as middle to upper middle class. Our 2 boys are in Kinder & 2nd Grade. We are looking for feedback on what are considered the BEST public elementary schools. What we like in a school is: Good, caring teachers, principals who have their school's best interest in mind, principals who welcome parent participation, active parents volunteering at the school and active in fundraising, safe, after-school activities, etc.

In particular, we would love to hear any information about:
  • Pinecrest Elem.
  • Sunset Elem (and their NON-Magnet Programs)
  • Palmetto Elem.
  • S. Miami K-8
  • Pinecrest ACadamy (Charter)
  • any other schools to look at???
Thanks so much. And, no, private schools are not an option for us, so Public School bashing is not really helpful to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 11:21 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,015,122 times
Pinecrest Elementary is one of the best..parents are always lying about addresses to get their kids in. Palmetto is good too, but definitely not as good as Pinecrest. Anything PINECREST has gold on it....gold that oozes everywhere and attracts people like crazy. Pinecrest is thee place to work, live and go to school. end of message.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:14 PM

710 posts, read 2,225,662 times
You're making the jump ... congratulations!

I think I gave my feedback b4 -- my kids DO NOT go to any of these schools although we have friends whose kids do go to 2.

I agree that Pinecrest is VERY well regarded. I can't answer specifics, just that I know 2 families that go there and both are VERY interested and involved in their kids education and are both VERY happy with the school.
1 negative, Pinecrest can be a bit ritzy -- I would imagine some of the parents think their kids sh*t don't stink (more than usual anyway).

Sunset is the other one I'm familiar with.
From an outside perspective it's a bit more down to earth. The principal and parent involvement have a GREAT rep.
2 families I know there (and a few that went there a few years ago) are all in the language program. I've never heard anything negative.

I've never heard of some of those schools, but that doesn't mean ANYTHING. I had never heard of some charter school on the eastside that my next door neighbor schleps too everyday and they are THRILLED.

1 tactic to at least get a feel is to check out their websites. Seems like some of the schools with more involved PTAs have decently updated websites.

Good luck.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:10 PM

28 posts, read 96,168 times
I went to South Miami Elementary. They have a great school with great teachers. I loved their Fine Arts Magnet. I was in the "Drama" Magnet. I'm also a grad from South Miami Sr. High. Its a great school, with great teachers. All the time in these schools prepared me 100% for college. All good feedback. Sunset has a good magnet program for languages . I think its worthwhile too. If I went back to Miami. I would love my own child to attend any of these great schools. They are amazing.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 8,328 times
Hello,We are relocating to South Miami soon and I have children from elementary to high school. Pl. tell me the best ele, midd and high schools in the same zone.ThanksSchool zone

Old 11-17-2009, 03:53 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,366,359 times
I think they key here is looking at the whole feeder pattern. There are a lot of great elementary schools in Dade County, but some of them feed into so-so middle and/or high schools. Palmetto/Pinecrest both feed into Palmetto Middle and High, which are perhaps the best public schools in the county at that level (among non-magnets). Howard Drive Elem (which draws from northern Palmetto Bay/southern Pinecrest) is also great as is Coral Reef Elem (Palmetto Bay). Southwood Middle in Palmetto Bay is also excellent although you're looking at Pinecrest so we can leave that out. I don't know much about South Miami but there's some good ones there as well. I think planetsurf summed it up well, Pinecrest has great schools but there's also some VERY wealthy people there, so you're likely to encounter some level of snobbishness there. Otherwise, Pinecrest is excellent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami