Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 04:16 PM

440 posts, read 1,495,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illini84 View Post
Ahhh...gotta love some of Miami's people

I'm not sure which is worse--people like the poster I quoted who have the "I'm so rich--Miami is GREAT!" attitude (when in reality they probably have 6 credit cards maxed out and lease a Range Rover just for show) or the people who ***** at EVERY opportunity about how bad Miami sucks, but yet never move away

I hope I never fall into either of these categories!
Yours was a great post my friend .... so true

Old 12-31-2007, 05:25 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
I am tired of hearing about racism. Let's get back to identifying and solving problems. As the poster above mentions, we all have friends of different races, I know that I do. Any objections are to culture, not race. I for one could care less about skin color, height , attractiveness, etc of Miamians. My complaints refer to the environment created by people that make this area a lot worse than it should be. If anyone wants to complain about racism, isn't there a "politics and other controversies" section?

Old 12-31-2007, 05:30 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Agreed, Tallrick.. first and foremost this thread was created back almost a year ago.

I will leave it open as long as the post get back on track..

Old 01-02-2008, 07:00 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
Wow, after reading the main post, I am scared to go to Miami, although I will probably never be able to go anyway! I have never been to Florida before, despite having relatives in the northern part of the state, in Jacksonville, Gainesville and Brooksville. My mom has a friend in West Palm.

I personally would not mind the flat land and beaches, as here in the part of Tennessee I live in, its mostly hills and mountains. I guess I get tired of them, like some folks down there get tired of flat land and coastlines. Here though, we do have some areas of flatlands in the valleys.

I love palm trees and since I cannot go to FL, or the coastal southeast USA at least for a few months, I have some hardy tropical plants/trees here. I have a couple of hardy palms that have done very well here and even some Spanish Moss (that I had shipped up here from central Florida) draped on my Willow Oaks and Bald Cypress trees. I am not sure how long it will survive though, as we are going to be bitter cold in the 10s tonight.

If you like terrain changes, many southeastern states are good choices, if you live in the middle of TN, NC, GA, SC, VA and AL. One end of those states are low flat lands and the other ends have mountains and in the middle, its rolling hills, plateaus and fall-lines - if you are in the middle of these states, its only a short drive to either mountains or flatlands/coasts.

To kinda give an idea of the area that I live in and am "tired" of (an area where many in big cities would call paradise), here are some photos of my area... we range from 1200-1700 ft. elevations.

This is going down HWY 421, toward where I live... I live about 3 miles from where this photo was taken last summer...

In the historic downtown area... one side of the street is Tennessee and the other side is Virginia....
Here is a look at our "downtown skyline"... not much, but this is only a 48,000 population city.... entire metro population is about 475,000 though, but we are well spread out in population.... we have three larger cities in our metro area. Notice the mountain in the background, which is the same mountain you see in the photo above....

We have the old southern mansions....

Dangerous @ night alleys in downtown...

We have old run down buildings as well, where alot of the vagabonds live....

Photos from my lawn.... see my palm and Spanish moss?...

Longleaf pine... it has thrived here, but these are not native here like the Loblolly is...

See the mountain in the background there? The summit is 4000 ft. Currently, they are 4° in this unusually cold artic outbreak!

Thanks for letting me share the area that I am "tired" of....

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 01-02-2008 at 07:14 PM..

Old 01-02-2008, 07:55 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,479 times
I have been up to bristol TN one time it was pretty nice.

Nice pics too

Old 01-02-2008, 08:17 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
Thanks! These are only a small handful of photos I have from here.

I forgot to mention its a "tourist" area twice a year when there is a race at Bristol Motor Speedway. Either in late March/early April and again in late August, we have about 200,000 "out of towners" arrive here for the Nascar races.... then the small motor sports throughout the year, either @ the track, or the dragstrips up from the race track in what they call "thunder valley". Its interesting when you add 200K people in a city of only 50K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
I have been up to bristol TN one time it was pretty nice.

Nice pics too

Old 01-02-2008, 09:15 PM

385 posts, read 1,891,455 times
miami can be rough but that doesn't mean you will be in danger just because you visit, give it a shot if you really want to.. wish i had some photos.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:20 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
You certainly will not have that much open space in Miami, If you live in Miami you have to get used to a lack of spaces and everything crammed together.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:32 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times

If that isn't open space, I don't know what is. If you mean in Miamis urbanized area, then yes, you are right. Analyze Miami-Dade county and South Florida on Google maps. Look for the little "green spots". The green spots are dotted throughout Broward (public parks and golf courses) and Palm Beach County (mostly golf courses, but it's open!). In most major metropolitan areas, you will see even more. Dade is lacking in them.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:35 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times
Tennesseestorm, great pics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami